Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Challenges  ~  Know Thine Enemy challenge for Occlumency

Alynna
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:45 am Reply with quote
This concept has been floating in my mind for ages: Severus Snape, to be an effective spy, must have learned to be very adaptable... and to know his enemy. He fights the Dark Lord now, covertly, but a long time ago he had a different enemy: the Muggle.

Know Thine Enemy challenge for Occlumency

The premise: Severus Snape is inordinately familiar with the Muggle world.

Requirements of the challenge:

1) Explain why and how, during his time as a Death Eater, Severus learned to know his Muggle enemy.

a) Must include at least two scenes or memories of Severus blundering his first attemps at interacting with the Muggle world. He may or may not escape the embarassment of having these blunders witnessed (your choice).

b) You may opt to have young Severus arrive at a Death Eater gathering in distinctly Muggle clothing... I can't imagine that the reaction would be positive.

and

2) Follow our favorite Death-Eater-turned-spy as he shepherds a group of (mostly) hapless wizards through the Muggle world (for whatever reason).

Must include:

a) ...one instance of Severus trying to get everyone on some sort of mass transport... the underground, local bus, cross-country bus, train, ferry, airplane or whatever you like.

b) ...severe restrictions on the performance of magic, for the reason or reasons of your choosing.

c) ...at least one night's stay in a hotel, a generous Muggle's house or a prison cell. That's right, a prison cell. Someone must fiddle with something extremely simple but important and break it.

d) ...someone asking Severus for some Muggle money to go buy something distinctly Muggle, possibly as a souvenir for a relative back home. (ex: "Please, Snape? My Auntie May would just love a this-and-such. It matches her curtains!")

e) ...Severus reigning in distinct displeasure at being called "Mr. Snape," and, at one point, "Mr. Snap."

Obviously, the first part of the challenge is the backstory for the entertainment to be got from part two. The elements of part one can be fulfilled through flashback, sequential narration, or whatever else fits your style. Part two should take place in the present - no Severus sitting on the couch remembering when so-and-so fell off the this-and-such because he didn't hold the handrail.

The last time somebody picked up a challenge of mine was 1990-something, so I'll be very honored if somebody gives this a shot. Mr. Green