Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Leaky Cauldron  ~  The story behind your name and/or Avatar...

wonga
Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
Right, after a discussion about this in 'The person below me' I've decided to start this topic, so here goes...

Wonga is a word a friend (who is 10 years older than me) used once upon a time. I had never heard it before and started picking on her about making it up. Well it later turned out to be one of those generational words. I liked it so much I claimed it as my own!

I found my avatar while randomly googling and thought it was so cute I saved it and have now turned it into my avatar for just about everything.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:52 am Reply with quote
I did warn you in the other thread that my story was a dull one, so you may skip the post if you want.

username: Maddy Riddle.

Maddy: I had to chose a nom de plume when I was in high school and I chose a name I liked from the ones in my family tree. I've been Maddy since then.

Riddle: When I entered the HP fandom the usual last name in my nick didn't work (it was related to another fandom and I didn't like it that much) so I decided to chose one surname from the fandom. At the same time, I love puzzles. Not to mention that I am a riddle all by myself (it's not easy to figure me out). So of course, I chose this one for me.

Now, please, someone with a more interesting story...

Pennfana
Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Maddy, that was actually kind of interesting (especially about the "Riddle").

My username happened by accident—well, kind of, anyway. Sometime around the time that the second Lord of the Rings film was released, a friend of mine sent me a link to the all-in-one name generator over at barrowdowns.com, since I "look kinda like an elf, anyway". I can't remember whether "Pennfana" was the elven name that came from my first and last names or the one that came from my full name (first, both middle names and last), but it's the one I liked the best (though I thought "Morcoire" was pretty cool, too). When I started posting my fan fiction on fanfiction.net that's the name I decided to use, and it's just kind of felt like me ever since; if you've seen the name elsewhere, it's almost definitely me using it.

Incidentally, it seems they've changed the code for the name generator sometime in the last couple of years; now my first and last names always result in "Baranmereth" and my full name always results in "Nevgrod". I don't mind "Baranmereth" very much, even if it is a mouthful, but "Nevgrod"—well, for some reason it reminds me of a polluted swamp.

My avatar comes from something I drew a couple of years ago. Now, I admit that I'm not much of an artist. I've liked to draw since I was very young, but I was never very good at it; I consistently received poor marks in art all through elementary school and I actually almost failed the art class that I had to take in my first year of high school. The picture that my avatar comes from is one of the very few things I've drawn that actually turned out, so naturally I'm rather proud of it. It's also my default LiveJournal icon. Smile

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
jynx67 is rather boring. It's my HP fandom user name. I wanted something... magical, I suppose. Something close to the HP world.

jynx is rather obvious, an alternate spelling for jinx. Jinxes and Hexes are my favorite types of spells. And the sixty-seven... well, I believe I mentioned that one before. It's rather obvious as well.

Now, my SW fandom (and my LJ) user name comes from my obsession in the SW universe. It's also the name of my main character, who was also a character I played in the SW d6 RPG.

As for my avatar, it's from a video game. The artwork is by Hyung Tae Kim, who is awesome. The picture is one I've used for several of my RPG characters.

Yeah, mine is boring, just like me.

Last edited by jynx67 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
VelvetMouse
Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Don't think I have much of a story either...

I have a pretty well established username (with a couple variations), but when I really got into fandom, I decided I wanted to create a separate identity for my fanfic stuff.

For reasons I can't entirely explain, I decided I wanted to choose a name that was completely innocuous. For some reason, the book "The Velveteen Rabbit" popped into my head, so I decided to play off of that. The "Velvet" part was easy; I chose "Mouse" because it's a nickname my mom and I have in common (which makes a certain amount of sense as we're both small, squeak when excited, and have a fondness for cheese.....).

My avi doesn't have anything behind it. I just found it when I was doing an image search for quills and liked it. Smile

PI:4018530193
Overhill
Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
Overhill, Underhill.

I liked Lord of the Rings, and Frodo's alias name.

But the real reason I chose "Overhill" was that I turned 50 this year, so I'm pretty much "over the hill", especially when I read other fan fic writers' bios... My kids (including one in college) think it's stupid that I'm doing fan fic instead of creating my own universes... And they think my Richard Goodfellow stories ("Lucius Malfoy's Favorite Charity", both "The Merlin" ones and "Abelard and Heloise") are especially big wastes of time.

If I was working on my own stories, I don't think it would inspire them to clean the house - now they just have a "reason" to pout and protest that if I'm doing this, that they don't have to do that... Rolling Eyes

jadeshadow
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
My story is fairly commonplace, but I'll try to make it seem interesting.

Well, ever since I was young, around 3 or so, I have loved the color green and Star Wars. When grew old enough to read a novel I discovered the character of Mara Jade. I loved her and wanted to be just like her. You know, the stealthy smart chick who could make baking cookies seem dangerous. One of her spaceships was called Jade Shadow, which is almost my actual username. I liked it also because I'm kind of a background character in real life so the 'shadow' part fit well. The reason it's lowercase with no space is because I had just read several e.e.cummings poems and thought that the name looked more unassuming that way.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
Mine is sortof silly, but HP related! (Also, I'm not dead, if anyone cared, just lurking for long periods...) Somewhere in book one there's a comment where Harry thinks Dudley looks like a pig in a wig, which got me thinking about wigs for pigs which turned into pigwig...

And the avatar is a drawing I did the first day I got my wacom tablet. It's a spectecled owl, a rare bird that I use in my (very very) private fanfic.

maryh
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
My name is my name: first name Mary, last name begins with H. I've been posting to online boards for years, and it's my mechanism to keep me honest.

My avatar is what I imagine Snape's animagus form would be if he were an animagus: an osprey.

memory
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:58 am Reply with quote
Hello to the many nice persons I am more or less continuously meeting in these Forums! I am glad I finally discovered the reasons behind some of their names! For instance, I was incredibly curious about Pigwig. I imagined that maybe it could be a slang word... meanwhile the explanation is totally different. And another curious thing is that the main part of us think that their pen name is "boring" and "dull" or "not interesting".

Probably I too don't make an exception. I have anyway always thought that the other names were great and showed at least an infinitely better knowledge of the language. (I am Italian, as many of you are probably fed up to hear me repeat.)

Okay, my pen name is "memory" and I chose it after many days of useless attempts in finding a name who could link me to my country. I decided that all the ideas I came out with sounded terrible, therefore I preferred to rely on one of my best characteristic, that is my memory. Generations of friends have been stunned by my incredible (and sometimes scaring) attitude at remembering even the most stupid details. But... there is always a but. My memory is absurdly focused on words. That means that, if you say a sentence that particularly hits me, I can repeat your words even twenty years after. But, if I meet you for the first time let's say in the morning, I won't probably be able to remember your face in the afternoon!!!!

This has happened so many times that now I warn my new acquaintances with a "please do not be offended if in a few hours I should meet you again and answer to your cordial greetings with a blank "have we met before?"

Thankfully, I don't run into these risks in a Forum. And yes, in case you want to know, I am able to quote many of the answers in "the person below me"... But please don't ask me!

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The reasoning behind mine is... well... kinda depressing.

I use to have something more in line with my rl name, however, once I started writing and posting poetry on Literotica and The Rose and Thorne, I wanted a bit more anonymity.

My son's father had just died, and a three year old doesn't really understand the concept of death and heaven very well at that age. So, to make the idea a bit more real to him, I told him that heaven was a spot on Orion's Belt -- the celestial nebula to be exact, and showed it to him with our telescope (which he uses quite frequently these days). Celestial nebula was too big for (at that time) AOLs screen name service, so it was chopped up to Celisnebula and it's been that since. I pretty much use it everywhere because I'm horrible at remembering names.

My user icon is a bit easier. It's from a photo I took while in Kilmartin Scotland in 2000. There was a gentleman carving this exact dragon into a 12x12 slab of rock. I tried (desperately) to buy it from him because I simply love it, but he said it wasn't for sale. He did, however, allow me to take some photos of it, and the one for my user photo is the best of them (shows the richness of detail and all the wonderful lines).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Owlbait
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
Mine, unsurprisingly, relates to mail. I needed an identity to post my first fic under. I wanted something on-topic and not pretentious, and I was afraid I'd upload by little darling into the abyss and never hear a whisper.

I put the avatar together myself one evening when I had more productive things to avoid doing.

-Liz