Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Quibbler  ~  Great Snape Fics

azazello
Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
We've got a thread for Hermione fics, and though a writer of SS/HG I personally consider myself a SNAPE writer first and foremost. I got into the game writing my Snape backstory fic, Therapy.

I'm more interested in the man, and I hope my readers will have noticed, even my SS/HG fics (with one exception) tend to be Snape focused. I find it easier to get into the head of my Snape than I do my Hermione.

What kicked this off, is that yesterday, for the first time ever (shameful in an SS/HG writer) I read this story properly. It's probably the founder SS/HG fic in the sense that it's the first serious SS/HG written.

It is of course none other than "Letter from Exile one Merciful Morning" by Textualsphinx. We are very pleased to see it archived now on Ashwinder and you can read it here:

http://ashwinder.sycophanthex.com/viewstory.php?sid=9016

Reason I got to thinking this over, was that I thoroughly enjoyed this story and consider it a classic that for once is deserving of its "classic" tag. I've argued the toss about what "classic" stories are and are not "classic" elsewhere. This is one that is still required reading, not least for the adult and thoughtful handling of the teacher/student dynamic and its consequences, and also the possible future pitfalls in that relationship. Be that as it may, the author says it is more properly a Snapefic, and I agree, seeing as it is much more about him than Hermione. I'd rate this as having a great backstory for Snape, that is plausible and mainly canon (one or two details might be a bit out know - the story was written well before OOTP - but generally it holds up!).

Generally, I like stories that demonstrate what I prefer to believe, that Snape is a truly heroic person who is essentially good. That's not to say he is Mr Perfect, and I admire the flaws. I really hate the plethora of stories that seem to be where he is just nasty through and through, AND we are expected to buy the concept of him as romantic hero. I'd willingly read a nasty Snape story, provided I do not have to see him strangely morph into a fluffy bunny. I've read some good ones where he's quite evil, too. Again, I can buy those provided some internal logic comes off.

The purpose also of starting this thread is to give those members here who do not care for the SS/HG ship a chance to make a few cases of their own for good stories. We have lots of Snapefans here who do not remotely buy into the SS/HG in any way, shape or form, and it seems that they could be doing with a chance to have their own say.

My enduring Snape/OFC all time classic favourite is "The Darkness and Light" trilogy by R J Anderson. The first fanfic I ever read with total pleasure, and I have a softspot for it to this day.

It's here:

http://www.schnoogle.com/authorLinks/R_J_Anderson/

It's teacher/student but very restrained. I like it because I think Rebecca wrote a great Snape and also she really knows how to craft a good page turning story line.

Incidentally, recently on lj I asked for and got some great recs for Snape/OFC stories which I have not yet got round to. Once WIP no longer claims me, I'll be reading. So if anyone looking feels remotely bothered by the fact that their favourite is not mentioned, it's simply because I have not got round to them. I probably will. There's many nights of reading to be had.

So, what are your faves? And what makes a good Snape for you? You might like the nastier version, and if so why (s'alright, this is not psychiatry and there is no need to fear attack)?

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
sophierom
Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
azazello wrote:

My enduring Snape/OFC all time classic favourite is "The Darkness and Light" trilogy by R J Anderson. The first fanfic I ever read with total pleasure, and I have a softspot for it to this day.

I also really enjoyed "The Darkness and Light" trilogy. Snape behaves his Slytherin best (remember the feather and Hebrew character? Sneaky Snape), but he's ultimately a noble man with a foul temper who has made some really bad (and really good) decisions in his life.

Another Snape fic I've really enjoyed is called Apothecary and Auror by Pasi. Pasi provides a very plausible, moving (IMO) explanation for Snape's decision to join the DEs. This is not the simple Snape-was-abused-and-therefore- turned-to-Voldemort theory. In this fic, certain policies within the Ministry push Snape, a young man who is trying to put his life together, into the arms of Voldemort. Anyway, I'm horrible at summaries, but I really thought Pasi did a great job of developing Snape and explaining his decisions.

Best,

Sophie

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
My current obsession now that "Chaos" is over (sob) is Aspen in the Sunlight's year 6 gen fic: A Year Like None Other. It is the most popular story over at Skyehawke...and for good reason.

The link is here: http://archive.skyehawke.com/story.php?no=5036

It is a novel-length WIP that takes us from the summer after OOTP through Harry's sixth year. I won't describe the plot to you because it sounds totally implausible, but Aspen really makes it work. Read it. Trust me.

The main characters are Snape, Harry, and Draco, and it while it could have gone slashy at many points, it is most definitely NOT slash. I find the characters quite "on" or if the are OOC, it is well explained. Hermione isn't major, but she's spot on. Ron too. I can't say enough.

Meg (aka LadyM)
LadyM
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:20 am Reply with quote
Hi again!

I forgot to rec Brave New World by Theatresm (author of the now-famous Chaos is Come Again. It is the first Snape/OFC that I ever really liked at all, and then I loved it.

LadyM