Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  trouble logging into forums

Belas
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is relevant or not (I also use Firefox as my browser), but how I get to this forum determines whether or not I'm "still logged in" or if I have to go through the whole process again.

For instance, if I've been here, logged on & haven't logged off, and left that tab open, but went elsewhere (I hope that's not too convoluted), I can get here on that tab & not have to worry about re-logging in by typing the address directly into the addressbar, or I can click on my bookmark for this site.

The problem of having to re-log into the forums pop up in 3 instances. The first, if I follow the link from the Mage archive site, I will have to re-log into the forums despite the fact that I was already logged into the forums on the current tab. The second, as stated above, happens if I close the tab I was using to view the forums. The third instance is if I open a thread in another tab and try to reply to that thread.

That being said, I do have my browser to accept cookies from this site and all of Sycophant Hex's various sites.

So, I don't know if this has anything to do with cookie conflicts (sorry have dual images all of a sudden of Cookie Monster in a food fight and just a food fight involving various different-flavored cookies Laughing ), or if this is something that would need to be looked at on the techie level, or if this can even be taken care of on the techie level for that matter.

Anyhow... that's my two cents. Thanks for listening. Smile
im2sleepy2
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Illinois, USA
Jynx,

Have not forgotten you!!! Just trying to think things through on best how to help you.

Belas,

Thanks for your input. It does help with the troubleshooting a little. So I do appreciate it.

However, both of you, are still having an issue with remaining logged in. I am trying to figure that problem out, and how best to help and resolve that problem.

As I stated in an earlier post I have 3 different browsers, Firefox, being one of them. I am not having this problem on Firefox. I can open it up and come to the forums through the link that I gave at one time and already be logged in and ready to go.

What I am thinking is that there is something to do with your specific settings. Which is why I addressed cookies in the last post.

So in the next post I will address another aspect of your browser settings.
I just need to decide wich one, and try to get my thoughts together for it, so I don't sound like a complete idiot. Laughing

Rest assured I am going to my damnedest to get it so you can stay logged in if you close Firefox and then open it back up and come here.

I'm off to go play around and look at Firefox settings and see if I can come up with something else for you try.

Sleepy Smile

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote
I have a few preliminary questions that I should have asked you about from the get go that didn't cross my mind until rereading these posts. ( and now it seems as though they are trying to run away from me. )

The first one, I know seems a little silly, and is not meant to insult your intelligence, it is just a process of elimination.

1. When you log in do you check the remember me box before or after logging in? (I know after clicking log in it sends you to the main forum page and is next to impossible to do after but you might be surprised by some things, and people the way they can mess things up)

2. Which links are you using to get to the forums? ( I know that you posted which ones, but can you be specific please? Such as, post the links here as well as telling me where the links came from. That way I can test them from my pc and Firefox.)

3. Which version of Firefox are you running? Also, if you don't mind, please tell me again what type of pc, and operating system with version and possible service packs.

4. Are you behind a firewall?

5. What kind of Antivirus do you currently use?

~~~If you do not feel comfortable giving me some, any, all of this information or giving it on the forums (making it publicly known) I understand. Drop me a line telling me so and we can try to go about things in another way.

6. Do you have a pop-up blocker on. (I know this one might be a far stretch for troubleshooting the problem, but I am just trying to make sure I cover all the bases. As it is I will probably forget something anyway. lol)

7. Have you checked your security and privacy settings on your pc to make sure that they are set to where you can have cookies and such?

Please, include information for all pc's that you use to access the forums with that are causing problems with you logging in.

I may have (probably did) forgotten something, so if you can think of things that I didn't that you have tried or checked let me know.

My next step is going to be to figure out who hosts our forum and see if they have a troubleshooter or helpdesk. Some of the other possible solutions that I keep thinking about may or may not be things I would be completely comfortable telling you to get into.

I am by no means a computer, internet, whatever GURU. In the past, (it has been at least 2-3 years ago) I would blue screen of death my computer on a regular bases, not on purpose, but because I was curious how things worked. Thank the gods that my best friend's husband is a genius at computers 'cause he was always able to fix my mistakes. Finally, he beat it into my head to leave the bios and certain parts of the operating system alone. Embarassed Laughing (just kidding. I did blue screen of death the pc a lot, but it usually had to do with something I down loaded, that had a virus, or I was overtaxing my pc trying to run to much at a time, that kind of stuff)

Now, if it comes to something I don't know about I just ask him, and he explains things to me.

Rest assured we will not be getting into the bios or the operating system stuff. If I don't know about it I don't mess with it and I sure as HELL am not going to tell someone else to mess with it.

I am going to try to help you figure this out. But I won't go beyond the things I know that are ok to look into or play with.

Let me know about the things above and then I will try to narrow it down some more.

Sleepy

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I do appreciate all your help, Sleepy. It's odd, because it keeps my settings for the archive and several other sites on which I have cookies set. It's only this forum. And your questions are not silly. I work for a company that sells computers/software/etc. and I know these questions well. Smile I'm sorry I didn't give you the information earlier.

Now to answer your questions. I check the box as I'm logging in. It doesn't help. It doesn't matter what link I use, whether it's the one from the archive or the one I have bookedmarked (sycophanthex.com/forums/index.php). I think I've even tried forums.sycophanthex.com and it didn't work. My Firefox version is 1.5.0.7. However, it isn't working on IE either (which makes me wonder if it has something to do with my logon on the site). We have a Sonicwall firewall and use Trend Micro antivirus (we have Roadrunner at home). Yes, I use the popup blocker on Firefox and IE, but I have SH on the allow list. I use cookies on other sites, so yes, it is set. I'm running XP Pro, but Home at home.

See, it happens both at home and a work. I have a theory, though I'd like to pass it through you first. Do you think I should get a new password and try that way? Perhaps there's a corruption in my login and that's preventing it from keeping my login. What do you think? See, it's on two different computers from two different browsers (same versions on each computer) and this is the only site on which I have problems.

Did I just make any sense to you at all? It's just frustrating when it's one site that gives you problems, you know? I REALLY do appreciate your help.
im2sleepy2
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes you did makes sense!!

And I do understand.

I guess that could be the problem. (refer to previous post, about not being a pc or net "guru" Laughing )

Seeings as how it is on two different pc's accessing the same site with identical problems that makes a lot of sense.

Boy, won't we kick ourselves if it ends up being that simple. After all this time.

Let me know if that works. Also, I have something for you to read through to see if any of it might shed a little light.

Remember I said I was going to try to figure out who the host was? And if they had a helpdesk or troublshooter?

Well, I found their FAQ's.
http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=faq
Read over #'s 10, 23, and 24. I'm not cetain if that will definately pertain to what is going on, but I think it is something that may have a little bearing.

Anyway good luck, and with a little luck your idea will be the answer.

Sleepy Very Happy

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, that didn't work. I also tried to search on phpbb's forum, but got a blank page. guess you have to be logged in there to get anything.

This is really frustrating. I feel like the board is telling me something, that I've worn out my welcome.
jynx67
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that was just really... f'd up. I tried to login twice and got invalid username or password. TWICE! I even retyped my password since I'd changed it, just to be certain it was in there. Yet when I came in here to reply to this thread to let you know, it asked me to login and IT LOGGED IN! This site hates me, I know it.
wonga
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote
I was having trouble loging in as well- I was getting here using my favourites- so instead I tried googling it to get here and got here through that and suddenly I was logged in.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Jynx,

So is your problem fixed? Or are you still having issue? Confused Wink

Sleepy Smile

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Still having issues, unfortunately. If this is the forum's way of making me leave, it's doing a smashing job.
JackieJLH
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
These forums tend to give quite a few people a lot of problems. I know I can't upload an avatar (of any size, from any source), or stay logged in. It just doesn't work for me. Sad Unfortunately, the phpbb boards are tempermental, and every once one of them decides to give more problems than usual. I hope you won't let it discourage you too much. The boards can still be a fun place to play, even if logging in can be a bit of a pain. Smile

I once had a real life. Then I discovered Harry Potter. Then I discovered Harry Potter on the internet... *shrug* Real life is overrated anyway.
Firewhisky
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
i use firefox and am now able to log onto the forums w/ no problems.
it's the story archives and artwork archives that refuse to let me in or re-register using the same email address i use for the forums. i think i'll just try a different email address and re-register w/ a new user name. RIP ms_fit! Confused

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Firewhisky, if you're having problems logging into the archive and Illusions, submit a help ticket through the site and someone will be in touch with you to get you a working username and password. You can access the help ticket area without logging in by clicking on the 'Help' link on the main page, and then using the help ticket form that is linked in the first line on that page. Smile

I once had a real life. Then I discovered Harry Potter. Then I discovered Harry Potter on the internet... *shrug* Real life is overrated anyway.
im2sleepy2
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Jynx,

Do you have to actually type everything in and click log in or can you just click the log in button?

Sleepy Confused

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
Just click the login button.

I do appreciate all your help, Sleepy, but just forget about it. It's not worth it anymore. It's obviously a phpbb problem.