Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  I want to be a beta!

Ellcey
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:07 am Reply with quote
Name: Leah
Penname: Ellcey
Email: LBland6726@aol.com
Beta Experience: Officially, none yet; In my head, literally hundreds of chapters.
Writing Experience: I began writing poetry and short-fiction in high school (that’s about 20 years.) I’ve also written several short plays and skits that have been performed locally.
Ratings: All
Ships: SS/HG is my ship of choice and I have read almost exclusively in Ashwinder, but I am open to others for beta purposes.
Categories/Genres: All
Strengths as beta reader: I do have a strong English background. I was an English major in college. More recently I have spent the last 4 years home schooling my son in grades 6 thru 9. I am an insatiable reader. I have a keen ear for dialogue. I am strong on spelling/grammar/punctuation. I'm good at catching misused words (i.e. impasse/impress, to/too, bring/take.) It drives me crazy when a word or phrase is being overused. My thesaurus is my favorite writing tool. I have always been very good at helping people word things more effectively. I am also strong on canon. I have read all 5 HP books at least twice, and refer to them often when something in a story just doesn’t seem right to me.

Weakness: Britpicking. While I am well acquainted with the most frequently encountered words and phrases from British books and films, I am, in my heart, a Southern girl. I can help you with grits and gravy, but for bangers and mash you might need to find someone else. I will make any suggestions that seem obvious to me.

Dislikes: Though I am relatively new to fan fiction (less than a year) I have read almost compulsively for several months now. I have only found 1 story I was uncomfortable reading because of subject matter, and it involved rather graphic BDSM. I’m not saying I won’t read it, but I might have to take it on a case by case basis. If I can’t handle it I’ll let you know. I won’t just disappear.

I generally don’t care for OC, particularly OFC. I have found some that are very well done and again I’m not saying I won’t read it. But as a rule, a little OC goes a long way with me.

Anything wildly AU or OOC is hard for me to take as well, unless it is obviously meant to be satirical parody or otherwise humorous in nature. I have a sense of humor and I’m pretty open minded but a sexually ambiguous cross-dressing Snape is more than I can take.

Any additional notes: Because of an illness that is keeping me basically homebound, I have a great deal of time right now for reading and writing. Severe insomnia is an aspect of my illness and so I am often up all night reading. I think I would be able to work quickly.

I love the wealth of styles and genres available literally at my fingertips. I am using this time to try to improve my own original fiction writing. I believe betaing would strengthen my own skills as well as help those writers I beta for.

Finally, I’m really a nice person. Think Southern hospitality. I will try to make corrections and suggestions as tactfully as possible.

If you're interested, please let me know.
LadyLuck321
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Check out my story at fanfiction.net Through Time and Space

It is an OFC/Snape pairing, but you may like it. Some have Very Happy

I am trying to post it to Occulmency A Severus Snape Archive but they have very rigid standards for grammer, etc and each chapter has to be reviewed and then corrected before they will post.

Very embarassing getting your chapters back with "you need a comma here" etc. Embarassed

You can reach me at ladyluck321@charter.net if you have any interest.

Thanks,
Alice