<  Omnoculars  ~  Alan Rickman's Snape

Rickman as Snape?

He is the best!  
50%
  [ 27 ]  50%

He is ok...  
16%
  [ 9 ]  16%

I think they should have chosen someone else....  
29%
  [ 16 ]  29%

I don't know...  
3%
  [ 2 ]  3%

Total Votes : 54
Firewhisky
Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
In my oh-so-humble opinion.....

I think someone else could have portrayed Snape much better.

But I'm guessing that they didn't want to take chances on untried (and younger) actors? Which bums me out, b/c as an American, i feel like i always see the same 20 English actors in all the English-esque movies i come across. I like Rickman, Thompson, Gambon, etc. But I'd like to see some "new blood". In fact, I keep expecting to see someone like Tom Hollander to make an appearance. As much as I like those actors and the work they do...

meh. sorry. okay, anyway.... the other big problem w/ a 60 yr. old playing a thirty yr. old is the emotional response. i don't care how he looks... tho the jowls/paunchyness are kinda off-putting... he doesn't act like a 30 yr. old, he doesn't move like one, and he's not very menacing. He's reserved, but it doesn't smack of self-control. It seems to come from experience. The book Snape is a scary mofo, and I for one, can't seem to make myself afraid of Rickman's "almost-jovial" Snape.

That, and the wig is just Riddikulus. He looks like my sister in law (she's also pregnant).

Finally... i do like Alan R. I'm not ageist, honest.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I place part of the blame on the person who writes the script. Mad All of Snape's 'good' scenes are left out. The tantrum at the end of PoA was replaced with SavingHarry'sAss!Snape. In GoF he was comic relief! AND they cut out the infirmary scene which would have been so much better that the Let's try to be upbeat ending. *shoots self in foot* Sorry I just can't let it go.

Overhill
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
Did anyone see the deleted scenes in GoF, when he was checking the carriages? He looked like the child catcher in Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang.

Our family had a Alan Rickman DVD "festival" last year, and saw most of his movies. He wore boots in at least three, and he's not that bad of a singer either!

Cutting out the infirmary scene was a mistake.

tonksinger
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Let me state for the record that I actually like most of the movies. They're not perfect, but I find them entertaining. I have accepted that they are not going to be word for word true to the books, and yes, I have been annoyed with a lot of the stuff they cut out (PoA made me cry).

I love Rickman as Snape. Would it be nice if he were twenty years younger and a good deal thinner? Yes. Die Hard era Alan would be perfect, but that's not going to happen right now. However, I find it hard to believe that he's so repulsive to some people, as a huge complaint amongst hard-core canoners is that fanfic Snape get Rickmanified. Clearly there's some appeal there. Now, when I write/ read books or fanfic / fantasize, I don't see the movie version of Snape. I see a younger, thinner Alan with a really big nose (check the banner at the top of the page for an idea). I think that Rickman's performance is great - there's a lot going on in those black eyes when he looks at Harry. Yes, he's a bit more confident than canon Snape, but it works.

And for the record, I love Daniel Radcliffe and hate Emma Watson. Radcliffe keeps getting better with each movie, but Watson hasn't improved since the first one. Someone please Botox her eyebrows so she can't move them anymore. And movie Ron has become the comic relief, and I can live with that.

Maybe I'm just not that picky. And might I add that no one's forcing you all to see the movies or like them. I appreciate the efforts put into them and enjoy going to see them amongst legions of Harry Potter fans.