<  Omnoculars  ~  Alan Rickman's Snape

Rickman as Snape?

He is the best!  
50%
  [ 27 ]  50%

He is ok...  
16%
  [ 9 ]  16%

I think they should have chosen someone else....  
29%
  [ 16 ]  29%

I don't know...  
3%
  [ 2 ]  3%

Total Votes : 54
Snape Fan
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
JKR has said in interviews though that she wanted Alan Rickman for the part so she must see something of him in Snape, besides the voice.
azazello
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps she's a fangirl, too.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
liquidscissors
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:00 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
jkr: ZOMGZ HES SO HOT I TOTALLY WANT TO STUFF HIM WIT CAKE N WIBBLE HIS CHEEK PADS/!!

...and that's my daily use of 'cheek pads' out of the way.
skybyrd
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:09 am Reply with quote
I put him as "okay" because his voice is dead on, but his looks could use some work.

Alan Rickman isn't aging well. I know I was surprised when I really *looked* at him, and tried to ignore my memories of him. Half of my agreement with his casting is his younger work. Die Hard and Robin Hood come to mind.

Its possible that people didn't realize how unfit he was for the part until they did costume checks. And then went "Oh shit, what do we do now?" By that time it was probably too late to recast and his voice *is* perfect for the part. But that's just speculation on my part.
Diana
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Quote:
JKR has said in interviews though that she wanted Alan Rickman for the part so she must see something of him in Snape, besides the voice.

Except that they offered the role to Tim Roth, who turned it down, before approaching Alan Rickman.

I've never read any comments by Jo stating that she wanted Alan specifically for the role. I have seen her say that she thought he was good for the role.

The only person I've ever read about her asking for specifically was Robbie Coltrane for Hagrid.
azazello
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
There is also a bit of a history of Jo validating the movies, post factum.

Generally, she's been supportive of the movies, rightly, I think. She might well have issues about this or that aspect of them, but it's not really in her control, and most authors wisely steer clear of getting into slanging matches about movie adaptations of their work.

For the adult fan, the movies are very disappointing, but it is worth remembering that they are being made for a childish audience (avoids looking at SS/HG shippers over there...). That means Harry and trio centric. the adults are a sideline to the kids who have the money power. It's kids dragging their parents to see these movies who make the profits, not adult fans. So, therefore to the moviemakers, the back story, the adult canon characters and their pasts - is of no real interest. Because most kids could not care less about Snape's murky past, so long as Harry defeats Voldemort in book 7. And there are actually adult fans who agree. They are not interested in Snape, either.

So largely, to Jo, the movies are probably fine. She's almost certainly well pleased with the fact that the adults are played by good English character actors, and that the kids are reasonable facsimiles of her written characters, and that none of them sound like US citizens. She's likely pleased with the performances too. None of the adult actors is turning in a bad performance. To me, Alan's not doing all he could with the role of Snape, but that is entirely down to Kloves's atrocious scripts, of which the worst was the truncation of Snape's part in POA. I felt the strongest argument for casting Rickman was what he might have made of Snape's meltdown at the end of the book. Sadly it was not there.

I'd be stunned if JKR had a great deal of say in the casting, in any case, it's not usual to let author's call the shots.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
anna_kat
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Diana wrote:
I've never read any comments by Jo stating that she wanted Alan specifically for the role. I have seen her say that she thought he was good for the role.

And that is, realistically, the only thing she could say about an accomplished British actor. It is highly unlikely that she would publicly criticize Alan Rickman for his lack of youth and lankiness, even if her vision of Snape is very different.

I think he makes a good Snape. Not the one I see when I read the books, yet an interesting character. I like the normalcy of movie Snape. Whenever he confronts Harry, he's a nasty spitelful teacher doing what he thinks of as his job and not a mysterious menacing force who is ever so deliciously eeevil. Oh, and movie Snape is not snarky. I like that in him.

While I have the floor, allow me to very briefly touch upon the question of Severus Snape's clothes as worn in the movies. These clothes are black and they have buttons. That is the nature of the frock coat.

Historically speaking, black frock coats were considered quiet dressing for the discerning man who found flashy displays distasteful. The black frock coat as worn by movie Snape is his working attire. The frock coat does not add to the already absent "gothic" or "regency" atmosphere of Hogwarts' School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The billowing overcoat, on the other hand, is a tool he needs to express his inner drama queen in ways that children, muggle-born and wizardborn alike, easily understand. It draws attention to him, something that his rather unassuming looks do not.

That is all.
Diana
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Quote:
Alan Rickman isn't aging well. I know I was surprised when I really *looked* at him, and tried to ignore my memories of him. Half of my agreement with his casting is his younger work. Die Hard and Robin Hood come to mind.

I don't think it is a matter of 'Alan Rickman isn't aging well', but rather that he is aging. I think the perception now days is that aging is bad, and we see this trend often in the entertainment industry. It isn't that Alan is aging badly, it is just that instead of having everything sucked out or replaced like most, he is instead aging naturally.

Diana
Razzberry
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I keep avoiding this topic because I'm of two minds.

My idealistic mindset is 'who cares if he isn't as thin as Snape in the books? What does that have to do with the price of tea in China, and for that matter, what does his age have to do with it? Down with the modern trend to bash those who do not look perfect!'

Then I remind myself that film is largely a visual media so the image is kind of important... Rolling Eyes

I saw all three movies before I read any of the books. Well, more accurately I saw all three movies before I got past chapter one of the first book-- I simply could not get into it. After seeing the movies, I was intrigued enough to force myself to read, and I swore I'd read at least 100 pages before tossing it onto the shelf again. It took nearly that for me to actually get into the books.

As someone who was only seeing the movies and had no frame of reference, I thought Alan Rickman was brilliant as Snape. I could see how he intimidated the kids, I got that he was an unpopular teacher, etc etc. I was at a friend's house watching the DVD and I asked her 'so is he a bad guy or just an asshole?' and that's probably about the same reaction I would have had at the same point in book one had I read before watching.

Point being, having not read the books, all three movies were very enjoyable to me, and I didn't feel cheated in any way, and none of the casting hit any sour notes with me. I was left with some questions at the end of PoA, but it was nothing that really detracted from the story, in my mind.

As I was reading the books, I really filled the characters in with the actors who portrayed them, with very little change, and that worked to a point. Snape was the first one that I realized was completely at odds with the written representation of him. Lupin was the second.

I guess what I'm saying (in many more words than was strictly necessary) is that I think Rickman is fine as Snape with the understanding that he is playing a role in the films. I do not think he is anything like the Snape JKR wrote, and it goes far beyond the not-so-lean body type and the general age issues. He's too cocky in the films, very dramatic-- banging doors open, sweeping the cape around, expressive face, etc. In the books, he's much more subtle. In the films, he stalks, in the books he slithers. It's the difference between a panther and a cobra.
Titania
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To me, Alan's not doing all he could with the role of Snape, but that is entirely down to Kloves's atrocious scripts, of which the worst was the truncation of Snape's part in POA. I felt the strongest argument for casting Rickman was what he might have made of Snape's meltdown at the end of the book. Sadly it was not there.

I have to agree with Azazello....I too was looking forward to seeing Alan as Snape go apeshit at the end of the movie when Sirius escapes. I was sorely disappointed.

As to Alan Rickman as Severus Snape...he has the voice, and that bad guy image (I still shiver over Robin Hood--shiver and drool.) His portrayal of Hans Gruber was wicked! But he is nearly 60...great actor, but maybe too old for the role.

I have no suggestions as to who else could have played him, however, although Gary Oldman would have been interesting to see in the role. He too is too old, but I think that he would have taken the make up on better..he's certainly skinny enough. He didn't do too badly in Dracula either.
liquidscissors
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
Quote:
The billowing overcoat, on the other hand, is a tool he needs to express his inner drama queen in ways that children, muggle-born and wizardborn alike, easily understand. It draws attention to him, something that his rather unassuming looks do not.

It's a plain academic gown. Nothing more, nothing less. Most of the teacher costumes in the films feature academic dress in one form or another, even if it's just a collar or hood. Don't read into it too much.
wonga
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:28 am Reply with quote
I don't think Rickman was a good choice even in his younger years (far too good looking!). His acting ability and voice are perfect but... Snape is an UGLY greasy git, Snape is not supposed to be a sex symbol!

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
LariLee wrote:
But I really think they did cast the Marauders generation as being a good 20 years older than they are in the books. I really don't know why they did that. But I even thought Harry's parents appeared a good 10 years older in the Mirror of Erised than they should have.

I think they were forced to cast all of the adults older to accomodate the fact that many of the "students" rolls are played by actors in their late teens/early twenties. Personally, I've given up on trying to reconcile the movie franchise to the novels. JKR's novels are a separate world for me - the movies are just a derivative form of entertainment at this point, and as such... Rickman as Snape works for me. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amber
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
Alan Rickman for Snape's voice, as he has that spot-on, and Adrien Brody for the visual effect? I had never thought of anyone but Rickman for Snape until I saw King Kong the other night. My god, Brody has Snape's nose!!! Laughing And he's the right age for Snape as well, besides being a skinny guy.
maudite
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
I'm torn on this one. I like Alan Rickman's Snape. I'm also aware that he isn't the Snape of the books.

I can't get too upset that Rickman doesn't look enough like Snape. Andrew Radcliffe looks nothing like Harry as written either. I don't think Emma Watson has looked like Hermione since the first movie, but that's just transparent pandering to the perceived need for one of the major female characters to be 'pretty'.

Either way, at some point the directors have to make casting choices based on ability to act the character convincingly, not just on physical resemblance. (Though this doesn't explain Radcliffe/Harry, because IMHO Daniel Radcliffe can't act his way out of a paper bag.)

Overall, I can live with Rickman as Snape. Now if only they'd stop tarting up Hermione and get Harry a wig and some contact lenses.