Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Common Room  ~  The Classics.

coesius
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 29 Jan 2005 Posts: 7
Something azazello said in the unconventional pairings post gave me the idea to start this thread.
Lately I've been looking at fanfiction.net and wondering what happened to it. There was a time when all the fandom really had was ff.net and there were no specific search menus like there are now. We would have to weed out Snapefics out of so many RW/HG fics on the few pages there were. Then there was a peak point when every day, I would search for Severus Snape and get hundreds of stories. Then there was the NC-17 ban and suddenly the page numbers dropped. Now, I rarely search for fics on ff.net. Oh, I use it a lot but usually it is through links. There are so many wonderful helpful websites out there that you just find one to your liking and voila! Then you can take as many links to ff.net as you want...
But now, I feel a little nostalgic for simpler times. And the question comes up- which fics in the fandom would you call "classics"?
I am afraid I am most knowledgeable when it comes to Snapefics. But the first criteria that comes to mind is how that fic was received. There are these fics that are so well-loved and read by so many people that they have formed the very basis we have formed our fandom on. These fics have created a collective fan conscious where some interpretations are accepted as "cliche"s. Well, these cliches had to have come from somewhere.
But then again the fanfics that I would call classics go a bit further than forming the basic cliches of the fandom. Usually they tell us something about these characters that we did not really think of but once we read about it, it is impossible to think otherwise. The fanfic phenomenon is so strange, especially for one who reads it often, that these beloved characters grow in our heads fueled with fandom as much as canon. I cannot remember the Snape that only the five books make. No, I think our Snape is so much more than what those five books gave us. So, what are those fics that made Snape more than the greasy git of Hogwarts? Same goes with other characters.
Then again, I feel that the ground-breaking quality of a fanfic is also important in making it a classic. This works better with characters other than the trio where there is a lot to me imagined, a lot of gaps to fill. That first fic that showed Snape become a Death Eater, that first fic which gave us SS/HG. The fic that brought Snarry to the mainstream. And so many others.
I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject! Don't just give us a list but tell us why those fics are classics as you claim.

For me, seeing as I said so much already, I only want to volunteer one fic even though I can think of so many.

Earthwalk's "I Was Right" ~ It was the first biographical Snapefic that followed Snape from Hogwarts to Death Eaters. Also the mother ship of SS/LP. I believe it went on for a loooong time before it was surpassed or at least equalled in the depth of portrayal of Snape. It is the one fic I really think all Snape fans should read. It is a shame that earthwalk has been silent since finishing it.
I just checked her page and am delighted to learn that OotP has renewened Earthwalk's interest and she is writing the sequel to IWR. All those who haven't read IWR: march march!

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/19705/

best,
coesius
azazello
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I do not think "I was Right" is a classic. I was pointed to it as "the" SS/LW story and was hugely disappointed.

It is unbelievably pretentious in style, and of course, canon has completelyswept it away - depicting as it does a "mother dominated" Snape and his mother being the reason he was pushed into the DE when OOTP canon made it pretty clear his father was the ogre of the house. Lily's characterisation is horrible - she goes into decline when Snape rejects her, too. I don't believe for a moment that if there was anything going on, that he rejected her. If anything the opposite is true. I think it is hugely overrated because it was the only SS/LE for a while, and now entrenched readers who have been in fandom for a long time insist on reccing old fics that should now be given a decent burial. Sorry. This is one of those.

However, it made it clear to me that there was a gap in the market and I wrote a story (based on Snape loved Lily) called"Therapy". "Therapy" will be canon shafted come July 16, but at present, it, and one or two others are the most canonical fanfics about SS/LE. Call me conceited, but it is true.

I did not find Snape in character in "IWR" either.

To get onto a more general rant, there are far too many fics, that have been around since this fandom started which no longer deserve their over inflated reputation. Essentially, it seems to be a general fanfic thing to lionise certain fics, long after they have exceeded their sell-by date. I'd start a list, but I doubt anyone wants to know. That's why uppity newbies like me come along (and I am not the only one) and try to do better, because we can, and sooner or later, newer newbies will blow us away in turn.

Stop being sentimental about canon shafted stuff and move on, fandom. IWR seemed risible to me when I read it in the glaring light of OOTP. As will my own story which now often gets recced as the classic (and more often than IWR), "Therapy" in the light of HBP.

Sorry - this is not to say that folks cannot enjoy stories like IWR. However, it is bloody wearying when you write something that is ten times more in canon to live in the shadow of a fic that is righteously canon fucked - and in the opinion of this writer, just not that good. If IWR had satisfied me as "the definitive SS/LE story" I'd have read it and not written one I consider to be better.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
coesius
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 29 Jan 2005 Posts: 7
oh this wasn't quite what I imagined to get as a reply but here we are.

I am sorry to dissappoint but I agree with you. I remember this fic called "the Return" by Ana Claudia that I fell in love with. It was the first Snapefic I ever read and I loved it. But now I think back on it and I don't like it that much at all. I remember being blown away by Slytherin Rising but grew frustrated by its pretention (I might be angering some fans here- sorry). I guess I was in too nostalgic a mood to express myself properly in my previous post.
I did not reread IWR before I wrote that post. Now, looking at it- you are right. I was going too far when I asked everyone to read it now, hoping they would experience what I did when I first read it. I was 14 then and was easily wowed by pretention. Not that I am so wise now.
I wanted more to have a thread chronicling the growth of a fandom we cherish now. I thought it would be interesting to see how things had evolved if everyone added those first fics they read and fell in love with. As I said in my first post, there are bound to be cliches. They don't necessarily have to be the members of the elite group of fics that have endured and are truly as amazing as they seemed then when we did not know that much about canon and when the fandom perhaps did not have as many wonderful writers as it has now.
I still have to argue that IWR is a classic, if only for its "over inflated reputation". That reputation did not happen for no reason. That fic, as out of character or pretentious as it may seem to some now, did something that other fics had not done before. You say it yourself, it made you realize something, by its shortcomings if not by its good points as I wrote earlier, and this makes it a classic. Classics do not necesarily have to be the best, although they sometimes are.
When it comes to sell-by dates and burials, I do see what you mean. And I am all for "uppity newbies". That is what keeps me and everyone else reading. I don't go around reading those "classics" over and over again, I am constantly looking for that next gem that will make my day.
When I say nostalgia, I by no means mean to suggest that the fandom was "better" once upon a time. By being a part of a fandom the canon of which is still being written and in a medium as progressive and accessible as the internet, I have no doubt that many of us are extremely appreciative of "newbies" and new fics.
You will see that I did not start this thread in the Quibbler forum. I do not mean to create "the ultimate list of HP classics". My intentions were not necessarily to rec these fics although I got carried away with IWR. I thought it would be interesting to see everyone add in their experiences with some favorite fics that have been around for a while and made them see something new in the fandom.
But you raise a good point and I concede that it might seem unwise to add to these myths about some fics that one might not be so impressed with upon rereading. My wish, though, was not to add to these myths but to portray them in a thread.
As such, if anyone still is interested in talking on this topic, the fics that you might bring up need not be those that you feel as enthusastic now in hindsight. I am simply curious about other fans' experiences in the fandom and thought this was a forum where we could talk about them.

best,
coesius
liquidscissors
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:38 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Posts: 164
I would like Fire and the Rose, Roman Holiday, the Draco Trilogy, etc etc etc wiped off the face of fandom, just so we can move on and aquire some new classics.

It's fine to have classics, but the attitude of fandom that nothing good has been written since 2001 completely blows.
azazello
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, buggerit if we are going to have a no holds barred rip the classics, allow me to vent.

I've never read F&R. I've actually been put off by the good reviews I've seen. And by the opening prose style (heh, heh).

If you do not wish to see Roman Holiday impugned, leave now.

Who is this Mary Sue pretending to be Hermione Granger? Who is this tart who is working her way horizontally through the canon? Who is this amoral slut who seems bent on permanently fucking up men who are merely holding onto their sanity in the wake of the fall of Voldemort (which incidentally, she manages, not Harry)?

RH and its sequels exemplify everything I dislike in Snapefic:

1. It's risibly snobbish. Everyone, but everyone, my dear is either a member of, or related to the international jet set. Okay, Snape allegedly inherited a "log cabin in Montana" (and that was only one of the unintentionally hilarious moments in RH), but please. The canon?

2. Why, when you consider that actually not a single character is "in character" is this considered a masterpiece? Hermione is unrecognisable, as is Snape, as is Draco. And everyone in it appears to be a US citizen.

3. I've had three goes at reading this long pretentious and overblown work of Harlequin fiction because umpteen fans consider it brilliant. I've tried to see what they see in it. I drew the conclusion that no one who likes it can have done more than casually peruse Harry Potter canon. Every canon rule is cheerfully broken (and please do not tell me this is AU - nowhere in the story does the writer make a note that her story is AU) - Walkmans working at Hogwarts? Bitch, please. That's one example. And the Suification of Hermione.

There you have the reason for its enduring popularity. Hermione Susanna as she is in this. Writers of Snape/OFC always get accused of creating Mary Sue. Well, I believe Hermione is the reader's Sue, and this is why if any writer depicts her as remotely flawed, they can expect howls of abuse. Because do not fuck with the readers self-insertion. Clearly the attraction of RH is that Hermione Sue not only gets to shag Snape, but in fact every hot canon character going.

C'mon fandom! There are writers writing good stories, with in character canons, that are true to canon. Wake up and smell the coffee and own the truth that the only reason this story is considered a classic is as follows:

1. Most of its readers were too young to know better.

2. When it was written there was little competition.

3. It is considered good writing. However, the absence of spelling and grammar error is not the sole criteria for good writing, and in any case, any writer who uses the descriptor, "Liquid toffee eyes" as is used in connection with Hermione in RH, has still a great deal of learning and growing up to do.

There are classics that are still worthy of the name. Sadly this fic is not one of them.

Please, it's Mills and Boon, or Harlequin, and by those lights a superior example of the fantasy fulfilment genre. It's certainly nothing else.

Classic? No.

Next, please.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Diana
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:14 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Well, if we're roasting certain classics I have one to add.

Pawn To Queen.

Bah! I'm sorry, but I have three distinct reasons for disliking ('scuse me, that should be "loathing") this story.

1. Who the fuck is this guy billowing around in Snape's robes, and what in the fuck did he do to/with the real Snape? Did aliens desend upon Hogwarts and abduct the Potions master somewhere between chapters one and two? Apparently the author forgot to update the AN....

2. Hermione "The Slut for Touch" Sue. See above (i.e. aliens)! Excuse me, but any fic where one of the two main characters involved get the Sue treatment is enough for me. But two? In one fic? And people actually read this shit?

3. Excluding the above two, PTQ is infested (think Middle Ages plague rats infested) with SUES! They are everywhere!

There is some dude running around in black billowing robes posing as Snape.

Then we are introduced to some slut in heat parading around pretending to be Hermione.

There is the super power Sue (who is so forgetable that I can't even remember her bloody name).

Even Harry Potter is Sue-ized in this fic. It is a special brand of Sue, seen often in highly req'd (and very bad) fics, that I like to call Doh!Harry.

4. Okay, so I said three but I've got four reasons. She didn't even bother to finish the fucking story.

In my opinion, any author who doesn't bother finishing their own story deserves absolutely zero recognition for their work. Either they finally realized that what they were writting was in fact pure shit. And I definitely don't want to read pure shit coming from an author who agrees with my opinion on their fic. Or the writer simply doesn't care about their readership enough to finish the story. I definitely have no time to read any piece story by an author who doesn't even value my readership enough to finish. Bah!
azazello
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quote
Pawn to Queen. And still eejits call it the "Flagfic of the Ship". Dirty leaky tugboat is more like.

Quote:
There is the super power Sue (who is so forgetable that I can't even remember her bloody name).

Blaise Zabini. Who was a boy and anyone with half a brain could have seen that from the start. I have never been so happy as when JKR announced incredulously that "Of course Blaise Zabini was a boy, and how could anyone have thought otherwise?"

My funny moment (apart from the inconsistencies - Hermione is kidnapped at Hogwarts, and then the author says it is King's Cross) is the rollerskating Snake come feather duster.

Still, the fic that launched a thousand wanks.

Before anyone asks, there are classics I like:

If You Are Prepared, by Cybele.

Harry Potter and the Psychic Serpent (Barb writes incredibly close to canon)

The Darkness and Light Trilogy, R J Anderson (another incredibly canonical author).

To Sever the Lining from A Cloud, by Textualsphinx. This one is no longer all that canon, but it's so beautiful and whimsical it hardly matters.

Essentially the above authors seem to care about the canon, and it shows in their fics, unlike other writers who seem to be saying, sod Rowling's canon, I know better. Um, no you do not.

liquidscissors
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote
I /had/ written a blistering diatribe about Pawn to Queen, but my computer packed up and died when I hit submit.

I must've been hit by some fangirl strega mojo.
azazello
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I /had/ written a blistering diatribe about Pawn to Queen, but my computer packed up and died when I hit submit.

WARNING - IF YOU THINK PAWN TO QUEEN ROCKS, HIT THAT BACK BUTTON NOW!

*Dons Fangurl and Strega-proof lead-lined knickers. Ouch. The things I do in cause of a good rant*

First a little history the PtQ thing as it belongs in the context of the development of the ship.

SS/HG does not exist before the publication of GOF because Snape in POA comes across as a nasty and vengeful little bastard who is nothing but a spiteful toady. It's only with the sexy revelation that he was a reformed DE and a SPY(! spies are teh seXX0rz!) that he begins to feature in romantic fanfiction.

Generally, at first the trend is firmly for SS/OFC and the first "big" fic is R J Anderson's "The Potion Master's Apprentice" and its sequels.

After that some 13 year old called "Lupin Lover" writes a short SS/HG fic (cannot remember the name of the fic, and in any case, it is no longer on the internet) to a widespread chorus of "Eeew!" Shortly after that, Textualsphinx takes that story, and writes a far more serious sequel to it, called, "Letter from Exile One Merciful Morning". That's still a classic. It's the first serious SS/HG and it takes the premise of a teacher student illicit relationship with true consequences - Snape is writing this letter to Hermione after their affair is discovered and he is sacked. I really liked that realism. It's an odd and lyrical fic, and in fact says more about Snape than Hermione. She has a prequel still in progress called "A Decoding of the Heart" which sets up the "Letter" storyline.

Sometime after this, Riley sets out to write what she herself seemed to term the "definitive" SS/HG fic, Pawn to Queen, and shortly after that, the When I Kissed the Teacher mailing list is founded (I hate that fucking title, btw). WIKTT was a spin off from the old Snapefans mailing list, which did not care for teacher student discussions. A look at WIKTT early posts reads like a who's who in the pairing, early days. It also reads like a sycophant list for Riley. Being as I sometimes think it is still a sycophant list (just the id of the writers have changed) it's still the same.

What follows is my opinion of Pawn to Queen. When I started writing SS/HG I had no knowledge of this fic, at all or the brouhaha that had surrounded it. I was actually chatting to a friend about my then fic in progress, and she told me she loathed the pairing because of this fic (she'd been in fandom a lot longer than me). She told me not to read. I disobeyed. I was sorry.

The outline is as follows:

PtQ was originally conceived to be a long serial monster thing of 100 or so chapters about an SS/HG relationship with a dark side. It begins (to me) highly creepily with Snape brooding over Hermione who is a clever little thing (something I found endlessly offensive was that despite there being a clear sexual issue between them, he kept calling her child). She gets a detention (in SS/HG bad fic she ALWAYS gets detention, despite the fact she never gets detention in canon) and others notice his interest in her.

First off, Snape is AWFUL in this story. He's snobbish, effete and the whole "voice of Snape" is unimaginably pretentious. Hermione goes off for the Christmas Holidays and Snape gets the invite to the "Malfoy Chateau" for, wait for it, DARK REVELS. There as a centrepiece is a naked and trussed up Hermione who has been abducted from Hogwarts (later changed in a masterpiece of writer bad continuity to Kings Cross Station) if she was abducted from Hogwarts, how? In order to get them out, Snape wanks her off. He's apparently a master of tantric sex, as well as a virgin. We later find out he was the sex slave of some Strega witch who would not let him lose his cherry. Gigglesnort.

In a very vile scene, he makes her come her brains out (because arousal is always possible when in terror of death) and he then talks their way out of it, and we are then treated to Hermione making up to Snape in the carriage (er, how exactly do you get to Scotland from France via carriage - its aquatic capability is never explained, but then explanation is not Riley's long suit). Cut to Dumbledore's study where Severus whinges (Snape was a kinetic wangster in this fic) and is "healed" by Fawkes's tears and the convenient revelation that Hermione is 18 due to using the timeturner. I'll save the maths for another day - suffice it to say, it does NOT compute.

Later on, there's a long arsed scene where Snape shows Hermione how she can rise above the trauma of what happens (the tedious chess board metaphor) and we are then introduced to the mother of all Mary Sues, Snape's cousin, Girl!Blaise who is a scion of the mysterious supa-girly-powahed Strega witches. Who are better than everyone else.

At this point the entire fic took a hook left out of just barely tolerable (though not to me) and headed for Crapfic Highway.

What follows is a horrific bit of character rape, with Snape getting angstier and angstier - wrist slashing, the Strega bitches attempt to take over the story and succeed, with a load of cliched crap and more pretentious nonsense that you could shake a wand at. I was long gone.

Meanwhile on WIKTT the cries of "But where has the smut gone" were renting deaf heaven, and the author thew a hissy, eventually leaving the building and the fic permanently unfinished in 2003.

Big fat hairy deal. It bears no resmblance to HP fic, because essentially it was clear (and I've perused the WIKTT archives) that the author (together with all her sycophants) thought she was better than JKR.

She wasn't.

Sadly all writers in SS/HG have to exist in the shadow of this trainwreck. It's not even well written. I keep saying that absence of grammar error does not great writing make. It's flabby, overwritten, hugely repetitive, derivative (of Cyteen and other stuff) as all get out, and badly needs a beta and a britpicker.

And the never finished sex scene is hilariousl but not as the author intended:

Snape: Oh, sweet one, let me pleasure you...

Author (interjects helpfully): Snape has a tiny dick

Hermione: Do this. Do that, you fuckwit! Kiss my feet or I'll hex your privates to the size of pimples! (she looks downwards for a moment). Hmm. (points, giggles) Is that it?

Snape: (cries, comes, shrieks like a girl) Oh, sweet one, cherished! Ooooooh!

Azazello: Back buttons. Finds google. Types: S-N-A-R-R-Y--- S-L-A-S-H. Hits enter. Sighs, lights cig.

Was that good for you? *coughs*

No, not a classic. Next!

And none of this should stop anyone actually reading this story and enjoying it. Whatever floats yer boat. However, I do get just a bit tired of the assertion that (and it goes with the unfinished thing) that this was the greatest fic of all time. We can't judge it accurately unfinished, and to me, what was there is not that good.

liquidscissors
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
GROUP HUG.

Best thread I've read all day, I'm telling you.
Diana
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
*snort*

I've come to the realization, sittiing here attempting to think of any fic that I deem a true classic, that 98% of all HP fic is pure garbage.

I never imagined that I would become so cynical about the fandom, but frankly I can't even come up with five solid fics that I would consider exceptional in nature. I spent a lot of time today, when I should have been working, searching for some of the fics that I once deemed exceptional and enjoyed ... they're truly horrible. I don't know what I was thinking.

I feel almost out of place in the fandom now. Most of the fics portraying my prefered ship, SS/HG, are frankly pathetic. In fact, most of the fics that I have been finding lately (even non-SS/HG) are pathetic.

For the sake of argument, Coesis asked for us to come up with a few classics that we have truly enjoyed, so I have complied a list of five....

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I realize I'm being snide here, but most of the fics that others (azazello *did* mention a few true classics) in the fandom promote are just pure garbage.

I would even go so far as to say that I've become disillusioned with the whole fandom in general. Bah....
azazello
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:36 am Reply with quote
I must say, I'm always a bit stunned when I see the usual squee brigade either on lj or mailing lists saying, "I cannot wait for the next instalment of (insert the overrated fanfic of your choice here)"

Personally, no fic update made me a millionth as excited as the announcement of the publication of book 6. Sure, it will probably shaft both my fic verses into total oblivion.

Don't care. My copy of HBP is ordered and paid for already. I've read each of the canon books at least ten times, and that, not some fanfic is the reason I am in fandom. All fanfic is for me is a way of getting through the gaps between new canon.

liquidscissors
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote
Buying the HBP - I was just going to use my height and weight advantage to elbow all the ankle-biters out of the way when it hits the shelves. Maybe put my copy of OotP into the handbag to give it a bit of extra wallop, I'm still undecided.

As for fic, I read it because I lost my staff discount at the co-op bookshop, and now I can't afford to fork out $20 for a poorly edited paperback copy of The Secret Garden. I also owe the library $10 in late fees, so it's down to what I can read for free. Bastards, I tells you.

I want to find out where these craptacular authors buy their unholy armies of squeeing fangirls. I want one. :/
Diana
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:33 am Reply with quote
I probably should have been more clear. I was referring to the fanfic part of fandom.

I could never become disillusioned with Rowling's world in her own words.

I nearly passed out in relief when the release date was announced.
Max
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Dear,

in matters of this awful "Pawn to things" story I'm entirely with you. It was one of the first HG/SS fics I came around and reading the first two or three chapters I got already enough. Except of the plotline (huuh? Wasn't there one? I actually can't remember. But I don't know another word for this) and the characterisations (I came around a scene where Snape confesses to Dumbledore that he's having an affair with a student. And instead of riping him apart or sacking him or telling him at least off, Dumbledore sucks a lemon drop and tells Snape that this is okay because the girl used this time turner and blah-blah-blah) it was the "style" of the author which got on me. Although my passive vocabulary certainly isn't bad - even by translating Peter O'Toole (and he's Irish and loves to mix up Irish English with cockney idioms and quotes from every available work in the English literature!) I hadn't have so much looks at the dictionary! And I couldn't help myself - I felt all the time as if the author would use this style for showing me how great and talented and wonderful her writing is. It was what the old (and very good) journalist who was "fathering" me through my apprenticeship always dismissed with: "We're doing a serious magazine. We don't want people to wank on it and therefore we don't wank in it."

And I must admit: As I read that the author of this piece was going to do an original work (and she sounded as if she'd be convinced about becoming the next best selling author) I almost laughed my butt off. It was such a classic: Someone starts with fan fiction, gathers a lot of fan girls, becomes telled a hundred times "You're a genius" - and believes it!

Yet in general I'm not so totally unhappy about fan fiction as you are.

Diana wrote:
*snort*

I've come to the realization, sittiing here attempting to think of any fic that I deem a true classic, that 98% of all HP fic is pure garbage.

I never imagined that I would become so cynical about the fandom, but frankly I can't even come up with five solid fics that I would consider exceptional in nature. I spent a lot of time today, when I should have been working, searching for some of the fics that I once deemed exceptional and enjoyed ... they're truly horrible. I don't know what I was thinking.

I feel almost out of place in the fandom now. Most of the fics portraying my prefered ship, SS/HG, are frankly pathetic. In fact, most of the fics that I have been finding lately (even non-SS/HG) are pathetic.

I'm with you that a lot of HP fic is utter crap and I sometimes find myself shuddering about the abuse of language done there. If the murder of language would be a crime, the prisons were full of fan fiction writers. On the other hand: I know a few SS/HG fics I still like a lot. My all time favourites are Kalinaleas (http://www.geocities.com/kalinalea/potterpage.htm) - one of it ("The Last Word") I even liked so much I translated it to German.

Another author (who's unfortunately not writing anymore) in SS/HG I really appreciate is Pigwidgeon37 (I don't have a link to her stories in the moment. They were hosted on FF.net, but although she only wrote PG 13, she isn't "an active member" there anymore). Besides I appreciate Dryad's writing (and huuh - I'm proud she's my beta also!) and I'm a big fan of Angharad who isn't in SS/HG, but AD/MM. She's got a very "elegant" style I love to read.

But naming her in this list shows already one of my problems: SS/HG seems to be a part of the fandom which attracts exceptionally many crap writers (while AD/MM is the part of the fandom where teenagers try to phantasize about "cute romances" what makes for stories so sugar-coated my teeth always start hurting when reading one). Although I probably will become roasted for saying so: I don't like Snape much. Whatever his motives for treating his pupils like shit are - he's an adult and as such he shouldn't seek pleasure in bashing helpless children. And I'm pretty sure: If Snape wouldn't have been played by Alan Rickman in the movies, he wouldn't have got so much admirers, slobbering about his "hotness" (and the same goes for Draco - if not more. The Canon Draco is a brat one would like to slap until the hands hurt). Canon Snape I can't find hot - and I can't stand fics which aren't much more as the author's phantasies about herself (renamed to "Hermione", but acting as a true bitchy Mary Sue) getting the oh-so-hot Snape laid. Besides I don't like student-teacher relationship and if I get to read one rape-fic (with the raped falling in love with the rapist or, even worse: With the poor raped Hermione having a child which looks like Shirley Temple and acts like no child ever would and makes Snape become all fluffy and Hermione finally falling in love with him) more I probably will scream!