Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Great Hall  ~  Hello, Hullo, Hallo

ELX
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
Hello, Hullo, Hallo

Can someone please explain the difference between the different spellings of the above greeting? I didn't know there were three kinds, actually, but come across them in reading.

I did try a dictionary but that was not a great deal of help.

Thanks!

ETA: I'm fairly sure hallo is British English, although not entirely sure if that spelling is still commonly used. I guess that's a Britpick question--I thought hello was more the norm all-round. Hullo, however, has me totally stumped.
mouseII
Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure these all have exactly the same meaning. The different spellings usually only reflect different pronounciations. These can in turn reflect the emotional state of the person speaking. For example, "hallo" can imply a cheerful tone of voice while "hullo" might imply a sullen tone of voice.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:36 am Reply with quote
Thanks mouse.
pipedreamer
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
They do all mean the same thing, however "hallo" and "hullo" are older then "hello".

For example, you'd expect to see "hallo" or "hullo" in e.g. the Chronicles of Narnia, or books by Enid Blyton, which were written when these two versions were more common.

As a Brit and purely from my personal perspective, if i saw "hullo Harry" or "hallo Ron" it would sound gramatically correct but a bit outdated/oldfashioned.

Hope this helps Smile

pipe