Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Canon vs. Fanon  ~  Muggles going into the Leaky Cauldron

Ness
Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

This is my question. I've been trying to find in the books if it states whether or not a muggle can go into the Leaky Cauldron, and therefore Diagon Alley, if they are with someone of magical means? I know that the Leaky Cauldron is invisible to muggles as a rule, but can they go in with a witch or wizard?

Thanks.
VelvetMouse
Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Hermione's parents meet Harry & the Weasleys in the Leaky Cauldron, or in Diagon Alley? So that would be a "yes", but I don't have my books to double check.

Can anyone confirm?
Samantha_kathy
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Hermione's parents were in the bookstore in Diagon Alley in second year, where Lucius Malfoy made a crude remark about them, and Arthur Weasley attacked him.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
I always got the impression that the only reason Hermione's parents even saw the Leaky Cauldron was because Hermione could tell them it was there. Harry said that Muggles seemed to look right past the building, as if it wasn't even there. I figure there is some sort of charm on it that keeps Muggles from really noticing it, but if they are being led there by someone, such as their magical child, and/or know it's in that spot, they can find it and enter it.

I once had a real life. Then I discovered Harry Potter. Then I discovered Harry Potter on the internet... *shrug* Real life is overrated anyway.
peskipiksi
Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Arthur Weasley insisted on taking Mr & Mrs Granger for a drink in the Leaky Cauldron when he met them in Gringotts changing Muggle money with Hermione. Not sure if they could go there without him though.
Pennfana
Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought that there would probably have to be some accommodations made for Hogwarts students whose parents/guardians aren't witches or wizards and who aren't old enough to be going through Diagon Alley by themselves. Perhaps they give the family a portkey in and out of the Alley that would have to be returned as soon as the shopping was done, or perhaps a Ministry official gives them directions to the Leaky Cauldron à la the note about Grimmauld Place. Given the wizarding world's need for secrecy, there'd probably be some conditions imposed on Muggles who enter the Alley, but the fact that Hermione's parents were able to be there suggests to me that Muggles with kids who are Hogwarts students are permitted in Diagon Alley for at least that one time in the year when they're shopping for school supplies.