Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Where to post this?

Samantha_kathy
Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting a contest, that gives awards for good HP-fanfics in several categories. But, to do that, I need nominations, and I want to post a message alerting people to the contest, so people can submit their fic, or a fanfic they find to be worthy. I also want to post a message, asking for someone to help me set it all up (of course, I will post this first, set it all up and then post the other message). My question is, where on the forum do I do that? There are so many boards, and I just can't figure it out.

Samantha

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
There is a contest, somewhat, already set up like that. It's called the Multifacet Awards, and it is run through a different website, owned by the award creator. She opens nominations for a 5 week period, allowing only a certain number of stories to be nominated per catagory, as well as per author. I believe an author can only have 2 stories nominated at a time.

After the nominations are in (with links to read the stories since they are often hosted in various places, such as livejournal, as well as on Sycophant Hex) they are up for about 2 weeks so people can read through them.

Then the owner opens the voting process, and the story with the most votes wins, in that catagory.
Samantha_kathy
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
I know there are contests like that already, but I would still like to set up one of my own.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Are you trying to set up a contest within Sycophant Hex alone, or just a general contest? As you can see on the boards, the only contests that are normally mentioned are in-house ones through the webmistress.

Instead of snapping at someone who was trying to give you advice, you could be a bit more specific in what your needs are. I have never seen any promotion for the Multifacted Awards, other than by word of mouth, but they seem to have a nice size following.

On this board, a good place to talk about fan fiction somene else wrote, or to promote things having to do with fan fiction is the common room. Once you have your site worked out (and I am assuming that you are doing this on your own site at the moment) then you would leave a quick blurb in there mentioning that nominations are open, or whatever you intend to do.

If you're a looking for a specific administrator from the Sycophant Hex forms to help you create an award, while I can't personally speak for the administrators nor the webmistress, I would have to say that having them help you create a site would be a bit much. They have enough on their plates as it is.

A good place to find peope to help you, if that is indeed what you are looking for, would be livejournal.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Metamuse
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
For general chat, the Diagon Alley > Leaky Cauldron forum is the best to use. Otherwise we have no specific place as to what you are looking for.