Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Horcrux Question

Natasha_Von_Snape
Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm starting to work on a long-ish fic that I'm embarrassed to say I'm researching far too much. I'm trying to wrap HP concepts around an African Myth, and I need all you canon genies to help.

As far as I remember, and have been able to look up in my books and online, Horcruxes are a receptacle for pieces of a soul. They are only made through dark magic. They can be a living or inanimate object. Here's my question. Does JKR ever mention a similar item that is NOT created through dark magic? As far as I remember, no. I'm trying to write about powerful good magic (not a soul) being sealed inside several objects. Almost like amulets, but much more protective and powerful. I think I'm pretty much on my own here (which is fine! I love creating things myself!) but I certainly don't want to contradict some bit of unremembered canon.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be most grateful!

Best,

Natasha
Snapette82
Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
I don't see why not. If dark magic can be trapped in this way then light probably could as well for release if anthing untoward happened.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
I think it would depend on what you are trying to trap in said amulets? Are you speaking of just raw magic? Or maybe magic of a protective nature? Of course, there is always the protective properties of love through blood that pretty much props up a good portion of the canon in terms of why Harry hadn't been murdered in his sleep by some Voldemort sympathiser before he learned of his abilities. Lily's sacrifice for Harry resides in both Harry and Petunia -- if I remember this correctly -- by way of the fact that they both share her blood. In other words, Petunia -- or Petunia's house, rather -- is a safe haven for Harry until he reaches the age of seventeen. Of course, I've never believed that it was an intentionally made sort of pact. Dumbledore refers to it in the canon as 'ancient magic' and it is possible that Lily may have known of it and used it as a last resort to protect her son, but I'm not sure if it was something she had to consciously set out to accomplish or merely a side effect of her acting as mother's are wont to do when their children are in danger.

As for Horcruxes themselves, or anything roughly similar to them (the partioning off of one's soul to be housed in objects outside the self -- live or not) seems pretty dodgy to me. I think HBP made it pretty clear that dicking around w/one's soul is wholly bad. I would doubt that there is anything similar for 'light magic'. Of course, so long as you aren't playing w/souls, I think it is entirely possible to create something that would be plausable. As I said above, the closest thing that we've seen in canon is Lily's sacrifice for Harry. Of course, as I also said, whether it was intentional or not is not yet known -- I'd venture to guess that Lily would have jumped in front of that curse regardless of what it may or may not accomplish.

pipedreamer
Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
We know that it is possible to store magic inside some form of receptacle - look at the Goblet of Fire, or Pensieves, for instance. Another good exaple would be wands, which keep a record of the last spell that wand performed.

This would lead to the relatively safe assumption that there are certain items in which it is possible to store magic in some form or another. The questons would be, is it only possible to magically "programme" an item to only produce a certain response?

The GoF is "programmed" to pick the worthiest student through a set of criteria it was given by a witch/wizard

The Pensieve is "programmed" to visualise whatever memory it's given

A wand will simply regurgitate the last spell it performed when given the Priori Incantatem command.

Therefore if you are looking to store magic in an item - like Voldemort does with his Horcruxes - you may need to think carefully about what that item is used for and how the released magic will affect its surroundings.

Certain spells require human participation. It is unlikely you could store a Fidelius Charm in an amulet, for example. As Diana points out, this Charm requires blood magic, not amulet magic.

There is canon evidence that inanimate objects can store both passive and active magic. I have already cited several passive magic objects (Pensieves etc) but remember the ring Dumbledore wears in HBP? That ring must have blasted out some pretty strong, active magic when Dumbledore tried to destroy it.

Overall it appears that storing magic in inanimate objects can be done whether the magic is active or passive. If you're looking at this from a strictly canon POV, I think you're pretty safe.