Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Flourish and Blotts  ~  What are your three favourite books (excluding HP)?

mouseII
Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:21 am Reply with quote
This thread is intended to be simple enough - although you might find it hard to choose: list your three favourite non-HP books as they occur to you right now. Also, say a little about why you loved those particular books so much (i.e. try to infect other people with your enthusiasm! Very Happy).

I'm also open to listing an entire series of books as being a single favourite, simply because some series are really one long story, told in installments.

To start things off, in no particular order, my favourites are:

Hyperion/The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

- I thought these together comprised one of the most amazing science fiction stories I had ever read. The books were chock-a-block with incredibly fresh and imaginative ideas, and there was a very engaging plot also.

The Earthsea books by Ursula K. LeGuin

- The Other Wind in particular reminds me of just what a great author LeGuin is - all of these books contain potent and beautiful storytelling, and I always fall right into the world that LeGuin has created.

Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett

- because I'm too much of a Pratchett-addict to not have one of his books on my list. Lords and Ladies seems a particular favourite out of the series; I think it's a combination of my ongoing adoration of the Granny Weatherwax character (who is a bit of a female Snape - clever, cantankerous, ambiguous and rivetting), my identification with Magrat when she finally gets a backbone, and the fact that Pratchett wrote the elves the way they appear in real English folktales - as creatures that should inspire only terror - rather than the way Tolkien wrote them.

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Ciao Mouse!
Hi again from Italy!

I'm glad to be the first to answer your message. Unfortunately, among my very favorites there are Italian, French and Spanish authors (these are the advantages of understanding five languages) and I don't think there is a translation, at least of the Italians. But let's try.

My favorite of all time is "Le notti difficili" (unpleasant nights) by Dino Buzzati. It's a terrible, powerful book written by one of the greatest Italian writers of the last century. The book contains several short stories which describe different situation of our modern life, its anguishes, pains and oddities, but all described with very particular, inventive, strange points of views.
It's the kind of book that can be read at different ages, each time finding new reasons to feel... well, let's say tormented.
If you should find a translation, it is really worth the while!

My favorites in English (so many here too): I think you may find them dated, but classics are classics and never get old!
(Obviously, I'm not mentioning masterpieces such Lord of the Rings or similar! Everybody should at least have read an excerpt in school!)

First of all, "The Foundation Trilogy" by Asimov (I know, now is a Quadrilogy). Well, more for a reason of affection. It was the first book I read totally in English, "when I was younger, so much younger than today" and studying in Ireland during summer.
I don't think anybody should need a description, but for the youngest:
An entire galaxy is collapsing, a civilization is dying, an age of barbarism is coming. But... a new science has been developed, Psychostory, that will allow the new generations to recreate a future. Story can be foreseen and therefore adjusted, says Hardin, the main scientist author of this theory, and it is fascinating to see how a new world is developing at the other end of the universe. Epic.

Second, "The Club of the queer trades" by incredible G. K. Chesterton.
One of the most disconcerting books I've read. A detective that is investigating in six stories where no crime has been committed...except strange things that seem to have no rational explanation. But an explanation exists and you'll never imagine what it is like.

Third, my true passion before, now and after HP: detective stories, the ones in Italy are called Yellow books, from the color of their covers. My favorites are the "locked room" mysteries, the ones describing a crime committed in a room where is impossible to enter or to exit. And the best of best of their authors, in my humble opinion, is Carter Dickson, also called Dickson Carr.

Just two samples:
"The Judas window" - a murder in a room where windows and doors are closed, two men inside, many other outside hearing what is happening.
One of the men is found dead, the other says he is innocent, but all the evidences are against him. The great H. M. Merrivale, a gruff, fat old man with a keen analytical mind, will defend the accused and propose a solution more than surprising. Amazing.

"The burning court" - do witches (real, frightful witches) still exist? And can they poison old men passing through a stony wall? One of the best plotted stories, mixing legend, history and modern life. A walk in the XVII century's France, with alchemists and noble ladies devoted to the art of killing for the pleasure of giving the "gentle death". To be read in daylight...

Has anybody read some of these books? I'd like to know their opinion.
As always, hope my English hasn't produced screams of horror...
And hope also to see new titles coming, so I can go to an English library and check for them!

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
There are books outside of the Harry Potter series? Are you sure? *is obsessed*

Seriously though, I love the book The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, and Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. I'm also very fond of anything written by Stephen King, and love the Chronicles of Narnia. I don't think I have any particular favorite third book, really...

I once had a real life. Then I discovered Harry Potter. Then I discovered Harry Potter on the internet... *shrug* Real life is overrated anyway.
Sally Smarty Pants
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:03 am Reply with quote
hmm...it's so hard to choose, lol.

1) Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught: what can I say? it's just an awesome book, actually come to think of it, anything by her is awsome.

2) The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde: I love Wilde, he was so radical, and he must have been on some freaky trip when he thought up this classic, yet it's great! Gotta love all the homosexual undertones, that took some guts.

3) Improper English by Katie MacAlister: It's just a crazy, hilarious little romp, that isn't serious at all, nor does it try to be. what's not to love about British police officers?
ginga bird
Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
1, The His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman. Based around the concept that this world is not the only one and that people can cross into the other worlds, including the World of the Dead, Heaven and our own earth. It also has the best female characters I have ever read, Lyra and Mrs. Coulter.

2, Ulysses by James Joyce. Proof that a book can be largely gibberish and still be comprehendable and beautiful. Even if Joyce was a bloody know-it-all drunk.

3, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Some love it, some hate it. I know one person who came to me after I had mentioned it to him wittering that he couldn't get halfway through because of the mental timeline. It will have you laughing and crying, often at once. I know it is widely lauded but I do wonder if it is lauded enough. It is incredible, utterly, completely, incredible.

And I'll throw in an extra three, American Psyco, a Clockwork Orange and anything Nigel Slater has had anything to do with. Strickly speaking, he is a food writer but myself and my fiancee would have starved were it not for him.
Pennfana
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Mmm, I see some great reading on the list already. Here are my contributions:

1. Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery. I've read almost all of Montgomery's work, but this particular book has always stood out in my mind.

2. Night Watch by Terry Pratchett. I love the Discworld series, particularly the books that centre around the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, the witches in Lancre and Susan Sto Helit.

3. The Complete Poetry and Selected Prose of John Donne. I started reading Donne after studying one of his poems in one of my university English courses. His writing is extremely clever, and every time I re-read any of his work, I get something else out of it.

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:47 am Reply with quote
hmm that's tough. I can easily name my #1, Watership Down. At the moment, my number 2 would be The Innkeeper's Song by Peter S. Beagle (of The Last Unicorn). #3 the Arthurian cycle, The Crystal Cave/The Hollow Hills/The Last Enchantment/The Wicked Day by Mary Stewart.
mouseII
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote
The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart was very very very nearly on my list also. Very Happy

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
My favourites of the moment are...

1. Rebecca- Daphne du Maurier . I don't know why, it's just so... Lets just say it's good.

2. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy- Douglas Adams. Adams writing is witty and attention catching. Who can forget God's message to the world..?

3. The Name of the Rose- Umberto Eco. A Sherlock Holmesy type book set in a monestary.

Runners up: "The Woman in White", "Watership Down", "A Tale of Two Cities" and anything by Pratchett, King and Terry Brooks.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:16 am Reply with quote
Hi Wonga!
You like "The name of the Rose"? It's fantastic, I didn't know that Umberto Eco was read outside Italy so many years after the original book has been published.
Isn't the plot intriguing? Did you like the labyrinth?
This book has been one of my favorite for a long time... Haven't you noticed my signature? True, it comes form the opening of the book, of course!
I'm very glad that somebody is reading and appreciating an Italian author.
Hope to hear of more.
mariaemilia

PS: sorry, just a bit of Italian pride in this Forum of almost totally English reading people...

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
To be honest I didn't notice your signitature, my bad!

I discovered the book a couple of years ago when I was searching through a pile of books my father had shoved in a corner and was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be so good.

The plot has so many layers and Eco puts so much work into his descriptions, especially the labrynth and the door, I admit it I am not a fan of the door chapter!

Although I just realised how 'Holmesy' it really is, the main character is William of Bakserville. I'm a little slow!

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
These are my current favs, and I'm going to attempt to keep books already mentioned out of this post. Smile

#1. The Green Mile, Stephen King

#2. The Coming Plague, Laurie Garret. This is non-fiction, and a bit dry, but if you liked The Andromeda Strain, The Hot Zone or other disease -disaster type novels, this is a really interesting read. It's basically a history of emergent diseases, including real stories from outbreak zones. It basically catalogues our fight against disease and how the way we fight and perceive disease is causing us to ultimately doom ourselves.

#3. Under the Beetle's Cellar, Mary Willis Walker. I'm rereading this book again. It's a story about a fringe religious (read: cult) leader and the events leading up to his 'prophesized' end of days.

So, those are my top 3 (currently) without including books others have already mentioned. I also highly recommend Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials triology, which we read in my HP Lit class.

Mimmy
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
i've thought long and hard about this and I think I finally made my decision.

1.) the VAMPIRE series by Darren Shan. I know they are supposed kiddie books but I just like them. There's one for just about every mood. They basically tell the story of a boy who makes a deal with a vampire in order to save his friend, ends up as a prince and later discovers that his destiny was decided long ago.

2.)Ich bin ein Stern - I am a star. by Inge Auerbacher. We had to read it at school and I must say no book has ever moved me more. It is the story of Inge, a little jewish girl (that's why the title, star is NOT refering to Hollywood a-listers) who was send to a camp during WW2. She tells her story from beginning to end rather graphically. Reading it as a 14 year old, this made me realise the full extent of what happened in those years and what kind of impact it had on the survivours.

3.) Das Perfuem - die Geschichte eines Moerderers or perfum the the story of a murderer. I picked it up a few years back in Germany and started re-reading it when i found out that they make it into a movie with dear old Alan Rickman in it.

sharing place 3.) is a book called
lovely bones by Alice Seebold. A little girl tells her story from heaven after she has been murdered. Rather moving and it has taken ages to read it as i start crying after a few pages...

~Mimmy
pigwig
Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote
Mimmy - Lovely Bones was hard for me to read too. It's just very very powerful.

Also, I'm curious if anyone has read A Million Little Pieces. After the recent controversy (and subsequent satire) over this book, I was wondering if it was actually worth a read.

I don't want to start a flame war, but if you have an art background, you will appreciate the Da Vinci Code... especially an illustrated edition.

I also recently finished Angels and Demons, also by Dan Brown, a very good action/mystery novel.

LadyWhitehart
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I read, and from a literary perspective, liked Da Vinci Code. FYI: I am Catholic, but I wanted to see for myself what the hype was all about.

The Anne series was a favorite when I was a young teen, and recently I have been enjoying them as an adult.

1. Anything by Erma Bombeck is also recommended--especially to anyone thinking about getting married. My favorite A Match made in Heaven, or Too Tired for an Affair.

2. The Earth's Children series. OK the main character is a massive, borderline toxic Mary Sue but the descriptions of the culture are wonderfully researched.

3. Black Beauty Why? I don't know, maybe because it's very sensitively done. I own several copies including one a paper back from 1898.