Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  open question -- Universal log in (not a question)

Wolf Moonshadow
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Dec 2004 Posts: 12 Location: A state of delusion (Florida)
Is there anyway to make a universal log in for SH, instead of a separate registration for each independent archive? Even with the remember me feature, I still need to log in from multiple computers.

Thank you,
~Wolf

Rolling Eyes

Metamuse
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:29 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
As much as I would love to do this, even if at all possible it wouldn't happen for months to come. That would be a major upgrade and would require many changes to all the archives.

But as of right now, it probably will never happen.

sara lady dalian
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I am running into this problem. I am currently writting a series that will end up being posted on at least three - but probably more - of the SH archives. To do this, with current procedures, I will have to register at all the domains and upload. On top of this - even though I am a validated author on Ashwinder - I have to wait for my story to go through the line on each archive. I know it didn't take as long as it seemed, but when I posted Malfoy's Weakness on Serpensortia it seemed to take forever to get it posted on the Recently Added list. Is there some way at least to tell the moderators that we are validated already?
Metamuse
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quote
While we recommend posting a story on several archives we try to dissuade authors from posting on anymore than three. It would take database space and basically waste server power.

We have many authors and while we try to keep the archives up-to-date on which ones are validated creating one master list in validated authors would take more time than any of us have right now to compile.

sara lady dalian
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. I wasn't quite talking about posting the same bit of fluff on more than one archive - I was speaking of putting a part of the series on Serpensortia, another part of the fluff on Ashwinder (both of which are already posted), another part on the Burrow, and the rest on Lumos.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I do hope that you are not trying to keep writers from registering and/or posting different, site appropriate stories at more than three SH archives. That in and of itself would be rather silly as no one can read the more delicious stories without being logged in, and if we are to restrain ourselves from registering... that could get rather messy.

If I have to, I will move the whole of Crowded Terminals to Lumos and be done with it. However, since SH has provided archives specific to several of the CT stories, I would prefer to keep them seperate.

As to the validation process - if a check box could be added to the submission form, paired with a listing of the archives, then a moderator could cross reference an author's validation status on another archive before (and without) going through the grueling hassel of having to read every single submission. That would negate the necessity of having a master list, as well as make the moderators work a little easier (since that would undoutedly be faster than reading an entry). It would be easier on those of us that are trying to write fics for more than one ship. Quite frankly at the moment, the hassle involved is not conducive to posting these on SH.

Do, please, clarify this matter so that I can go about posting the rest of CT. I would so hate to clog up the servers or cause more work for already overworked moderators.
Metamuse
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote
Sara,

I must have misunderstood you when you first posted, I was thinking you wanted to post the same story on more than three archives. The way you have it sounds fine to me.

As for including a check box on the submissions form involves detailed programming changes and not all the Admins have access to all the authors' validation status. Only the Senior Admins and I do. There are limits to what we can do at this moment. It may not be the best way possible but it's the only feasible way we have currently without spending about $1000 on programming changes.

mm

ancientgirl
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is just something going on with me, but I'm having a small problem.

I know that SH also used the same server that AFF does, and lately when I go on both sites, something called Elite Sidebar loads on my computer.

Has anyone else had this problem that you know of?
Metamuse
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
Ancientgirl,

Unfortunately I am not familiar with what you are describing. AFF and SH do use the same host, Nexcess.net, but we actually have two different servers. SH runs on its own while AFF has their own I believe.

Have you recently downloaded something? You have have some Spyware on your computer, they are mean little suckers.

I suggest Spybot, I believe it's called. It's freeware but it's really good, I use it and it catches lots of little things that creep into your computer without you knowing nor wanting them there.

Do you experience the problem at other websites besides SH or AFF?

mm

OzRatbag2
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever ask a question like the one I'm about to ask.

I posted a filk of The Lumberjack Song to Ashwinder the other night - and it was really popular. Am still so stunned by the reaction, but that's a side issue.

My problem; if you could call it that, is that my yahoo email tells me there are 51 reviews to, The Potion Master's Song and yet there are at this present time 29 reviews showing up at Ashwinder.

So, where are the other 22 reviews?

Are they doppelgangers, or glitches in the system, or will they show up slowly?

I know in the grand scheme of things that it's a really stupid question, but you have to understand that I have never (and I really mean never) had that many reviews flood my inbox so quickly. To put it in perspective, my 37 chapter story has 105 reviews total, so you can see why I'm wondering whether or not they are reviews or just a bit of computerised whimsy.

My inner sticky beak would really like to be able to reply to those who took the trouble to review, whilst my inner review 'lady of ill repute' will be just as happy to dance a jig around the the room. Wink

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
From my understanding there was a glitch this morning with the server that had double notices go out for reviews.

I apologize for the error. This is bound ot happen now and then, it may be time to upgrade the server... even though we just got it 4 months ago.

*wallet cringres*

hehe

Sorry about that Oz.

OzRatbag2
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote
webmistress wrote:
From my understanding there was a glitch this morning with the server that had double notices go out for reviews.

Ah, well, that explains it then. I am assuming it would account for reviews dated the 26th March as well then?

Quote:
I apologize for the error.

No need to apologise. I rather thought it to be too good to be true, which is not to say that it wouldn't have been nice, but I'll just have to try harder next time. Razz