Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Common Room  ~  'Tis the Season

jynx67
Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I have a new story, a holiday story, staring Sirius, Remus and Tonks. This story now has NINETY-SEVEN views! Wow, that's great! However, I don't have one single review. Sad I'd like to know if any of those ninety-seven people enjoyed the story. I would like to ask if someone would please be kind enough to read and review this story for me.

'Tis the Season

Many thanks in advance!
im2sleepy2
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Illinois, USA
As soon as I find a free minute or two from getting rid of the spam here, I will go and give it a read.

And yes I will review also. Laughing

I might even go so far as to read ALL of your stories. I know I have read at least one "A Mothers Pain", and I did review. I did like it quite a bit.

I will warn you though. If the story isn't complete, I am afraid I won't be reading it. I have gotten to where I don't read anything unless it is complete.

I have found that I get extremely impatient waiting for them to be updated Embarassed .

Unfortunately, I have several stories that I am reading that aren't complete yet. And haven't been updated for awhile (hence the impatience) which is how I came about not reading incomplete stories.

Anyway, I will give it a read pretty soon.

Actually, I am going to go print it so I can take it with me, and read it. Then I will come back (go back) and review later.

Sleepy Smile

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Sleepy. All of my stories currently are finished, except for my Remus/Tonks story. Hm, I really should get back to that one. The majority of my stories are one-shots anyway. I do appreciate your attempt to read all my stories.
im2sleepy2
Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Illinois, USA
Not a problem at all!!

I love to read. And what makes it better is when I can find an author that I like and that has good stories.

And I have to say with what I have read so far you are one of those authors.

Keep up the brilliant work. Don't forget to feed the muse. Wink

Sleepy Smile

(now I am off to finish deleting spam.... AGAIN.)

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-FIVE.

I'm up to 125 views and still don't have a review to show for it. Sad Is it really that bad?
celisnebula
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly Jynx, I wouldn't use that as an indicator. I've got a story that's only had 761 views since the move over to Mage (I have no clue what it had over on Lumos before the move), yet it only has 9 reviews and all of those were from when I first posted the story. I look at reviews as something that's a nice little kick back, but I hardly ever expect to get them (mostly because I know how horrible I am at giving reviews so I assume everyone's like me).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jynx67
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's it. I always review for people, so I would like it if they would return the favor. Thanks, celisnebula.
celisnebula
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
jynx67 wrote:
I always review for people, so I would like it if they would return the favor.

While I can understand that sentiment, it's a bad way to look at reviews. It's really not a matter of tit for tat, its more a matter of a) having something worthwhile to say and b) feeling the need to say some thing.

There have been stories I've read where I've just had to back away from, and not say a thing, else I might say something that wouldn't be polite or nice. Then there are stories that I've read which have frankly blown me away, but it seems so... I suppose trivial to simply say, "wow, that was good." In the end, when I've the inclination to leave a review, and I feel like I could say something worthwhile, and get to the point where I remember to as well since I normally print out stuff to read while I'm waiting in the car to pick up various kids.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LadyWhitehart
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I always review for people, so I would like it if they would return the favor.

I know how you feel. Whenever possible I try to leave a review, especially if I really love a story. If I find a story completely not to my liking, I won't bother to review. If I like it but there seems to be a huge plot hole or OOC-ness/Mary Sue issue, I'm right there, waving my caution flag at the author. Life's to short to leave bad reviews.

While I have my stories outlined in various amounts in detail before I start writing, reader feedback is important to make sure everything is coming across as I intended it to. I know where I'm going with them and I won't change anything, but if my characters are a little off I do want to know. That whole "it sounded good in my head" thing.