Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Pureblood vs. "Mudblood"

im2sleepy2
Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Illinois, USA
In my humble opinion, I would think that a purely muggleborn witch or wizard would be more pure and more powerful than that of a "pureblood".

The way I see it, is that the bloodlines of the so called "purebloods" are so "muddied" up with all the inbreeding, that they don't have any clue as to weather or not their children are going to be born squibs. About the only thing that they have going for them, for sure, anymore is an old family name, and if they are fortunate... Money.

With a muggleborn, it is almost as if the "gods" and the "powers that be" have a hand in it and designate that this particular child is so "pure" (for lack of a better term at posting....lol), so full of a magical essence, so to speak, bless this child with magic, to continue the magical world.

I know that it is a little hazy what I am saying, but I think you probably get the gist of what I mean.

I am curious to see what, if anything, others think about this off the wall theory.

Hmmm, that kind of gives me an idea......

So tell me what you think, even if you think I am bloody nutters.

Sleepy Very Happy

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:01 am Reply with quote
JKR didn't tell us much about genetics/reason for magic to be.
I'm still trying to think pass the fanon idea to see if there's some explanation somewhere.

We don't know if squibs are born because of inbreeding. The only thing that seems canon is that inbreeding doesn't make them more powerful and do tend to make them more derange (although I don't have too many proves of that as most adult purebloods that are crazy were at some point in Azkaban... rendering the idea inconclusive).

Do you think magic is genetic? In that case, is a recessive gene?
That would explain muggleborns, but I can't see squibs then.
And anyway, are Squibs non-magical or not magical enough. There's a lot of difference between the 2 of them as I can see it.

Overhill
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
In the books, it's not just the power; it's how it's developed, which is why there is the school. Draco makes it clear (in his not-so-humble opinion) that social education is every bit as important as magical power. Sort of like money vs. society (which was brought up in "The Corpse Bride", where the wealthy fish mongers were marrying "up" and the poverty-stricken nobles were marrying "down".)

I don't recall Draco sneering at Harry's parentage, though he does Hermione's. It seems that being second generation is acceptable (assuming by the second generation that there would be assimilation), though Ernie MacMillian points out that he is nine-generations pure-blood.

In one of my stories, I suggested that one of the things that ticked off the Death Eaters was the disrespect that Muggle-born and Muggle family member had to the ancient customs and current practices of the wizarding world, something that Hagrid and others seem to agree with, something along the lines of Muggles wanting wizards to solve all their problems with magic, or the unholy explotation of magic.

Quote:

Muggles generally came into the wizarding world with their spouses. Most knew their places (no more than three feet away from their spouses), and what was expected of them (keep quiet and tell no one about the wizarding world). Some did not; some stuck out like an American tourist at High Tea, and treated the wizarding world as a freak show, or worse, as if it were some third world country ripe for exploiting.(...)

But now the birthrate of Mudbloods was rising alarmingly. And with Mudbloods came more Muggles and greater threats to the wizarding world.

Mudblood students brought their Muggle family members into Diagon Alley, where the prices of unicorn horns and other commodities were forced up due to the purchases of those who had no appreciation of the "souvenirs" they were buying; such commodities were becoming scarce, affecting the wizarding world's economy and its ability to meet demands. Mudblood students were also polluting the ancient customs and traditions with their Muggle music, clothing, customs, slang, diseases, addictions and generally disrespectful attitudes. Lucius had some investments in Muggle companies, but his were drops in the huge ocean of international commerce. Some parents of Mudbloods had sought to purchase businesses or become "silent partners", further affecting the wizarding world by not remaining silent on how businesses should be conducted. Imagine cheap ballpoint pens in Hogwarts.

from Lucius Malfoy's Favorite Charity: Why is Mr. Malfoy at the Ministry of Magic? http://archive.sycophanthex.com/viewstory.php?id=1594

Don't know if this helps any...hope it does.

MithLuin
Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
As for the genetics...it cannot be a single gene.

Recessive would explain muggleborns like Hermione, while dominant would explain squibs born to two magical parents (like Filch?). To account for every bloodline we've been introduced to, we need to have about 3 interdependent genes.

JKR has said that the gene for magic is dominant and resiliant, which explains her feelings about magical ability, but does not work genetically at all (see her article on squibs on her website).

If people are interested, I can elaborate further, but it gets kinda messy without pictures.

In support of sleepy's idea, consider Tom Riddle. The Gaunts were not exactly renowned for being powerful or well-educated wizards. Merope is mistaken for a squib (though she clearly wasn't). They're clearly inbred, and have been for generations. And yet....Merope marries a Muggle, and we suddenly get Tom Riddle - good looking and powerful, able to charm anyone (except Dumbledore). I think the message is clear - an infusion of Muggle blood can "save" the inbred purebloods from destruction. James Potter was the last of a long line of purebloods, and yet he married a Muggle-born. That makes him a blood traitor, and his son a half-blood (grandparents do matter), but this is a good thing.

There is slight pattern of the end of pureblood families in the books so far. Barty Crouch Jr. and Sirius Black were the last of the line, and now they are dead. Riddle is the last (only) heir of Slytherin. The Lestranges have no children (having been in Azkaban for 15 years). Draco is the last Malfoy, and Neville is the last Longbottom (I think). So, the question becomes....what is the future of the wizarding world? Are the muggleborns, muggle-lovers and bloodtraitors going to take over, leaving the purebloods in the dust? I think so. The kids all wear muggle clothes when they aren't in uniform.