Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Leaky Cauldron  ~  Would you like to try a new game?

memory
Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote
(Hope I've chosen the right Forum for this topic... Please don't yell too loud at me if I made a mistake... I cry easily...)

Hello, you multi-talented people roaming this Forum!
Take a breath and prepare to read (and forgive my bad English).

After the big triumph of “The person below me” (11 pages and still going on!), would you like to try a new game? We’ve already experimented it here in Italy and it was a great success! I believe it’s a game that almost everybody has played once in life.

Basically, it is creating a story and then handing it to somebody else when you have reached a cliffhanger… well, an unresolved situation.

Rules, let see the rules. Not really many, or the fun is spoiled.
Here we have determined three key points:

First - try to have many different canon characters interacting, the story gets more interesting.

Second - please no sex/love stories (at least between major characters), to avoid the story to become predictable and dull. Please, no OC, because it's difficult to deal with somebody else' inventions. Also, if possible, no deaths or torture in their worse characteristics. Instead, always if possible, humor, friendship, adventure and weird situations are greatly welcome.

Third - please do not write entire chapters! The fun is having many authors participating, not only one directing the story. So, it is possible to go on with the story until you find a fitting cliffhanger, but please try not to make it twenty pages!
As an alternative, if you prefer, you can also write only two or three lines.
Whenever you reach the point where you want to stop, you have to separate the last sentence(s) with a *********. Next author will start his/her part using that/those as a beginning. Whenever you feel the need, you can name a new chapter (even after two lines, it’s a game!)

If you want, you are also allowed to enter again into the story, but only after somebody else has added his/her part to it.

Now, would we like to try and see what happens in this Forum?
(Ours has been joined by 47 writers, the story was a humor/friendship one and lasted for almost three months.)

This was our start (tragically translated into English by me). The first one answering is free to use it or change it or begin a new story… The others will have to follow.
Enjoy! And don’t forget, this is only a game!

THE SECRET
Minerva McGonagall was feeling deeply annoyed. The lack of sleep was beginning to leave its marks. For many nights she hadn’t been able to rest well because of those strange, subtle, exasperating sounds. It was like hundreds of little feet tiptoeing in the corridor outside her rooms. After the first two or three nights, she had definitely stayed awoken and tried to determinate what was happening. She had even tried to open her door unexpectedly, but always, always, ALWAYS… there had been nobody or nothing outside. The thing was driving her mad. What was going on? Elves, kids or adults? She resolved to initially keep her fellows professors under control. Each morning, sitting at the breakfast table in the Great Hall, she was nonchalantly investigating their faces. Anybody else looking tired or yawning?

To her great disappointment, nobody seemed to suffer of her same lack of sleep... Until something peculiar happened that morning, the morning in which Albus was going to read a new, rather interesting announcement.

Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
Hello Memory! Very Happy

I was waiting to see somebody joining your game, but it seems nobody has the courage to begin. Which is a pity, because I too think it could be very funny if done in a certain way. Perhaps there are too many rules?

I'm sorry I can't partecipate... I'm not a native English speaker and my ability as a storyteller is under the level of the sea.
But with so many good writers here, I thought it could have been a very enjoyable game.

Maybe you should have posted it in the Challenges?
Perhaps somebody reading these lines would like to leave a note explaining why she doesn't want to partecipate. I'm curious, sorry.

Ok, Memory, at least will you answer me?
Just to know you've read me. It's the first time I send a message in this Forum, I will be disappointed if I don't get a reply. - grin -
Ciao!
Laura
PS: how was the story you developed in Italy?
memory
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
Hi Laura!

Thank you for your kind message.

I don't have an answer for your questions, but, hey, it's just a game!
Anyway, when we played it here, it was structured in a slightly different way, so maybe this is a possibility.

First of all, our Forum was very little.
Second, we began asking for participants and we create a list, so each participant knew when was his turn to write.
Third, rules were developed "on the road", especially the ones about love stories, because each one had his favorite pairings, so we decided best to avoid the subject.
Finally, we decided to go for the humorous side of the situation, because it sounded good. The story developed smoothly and it was very funny.

Probably here there are too many people, or too little time, or too busy with other stories... I don't know.

Our story? Well, Albus' announcement was about the Giant Squid. Every 100 years the kind monster reproduced itself and then died. The event was anxiously waited by the followers of the Good Side, because the young squid was to be protected, and by the Death Eaters, because the squid's blood was very rare and precious to prepare deadly potions. But then it was discovered that it could also be used to prepare a potion stronger than Wolfsbane, so the werewolves too joined the hunt. The Giant Squid was fondly affectionated to Dennis, the youngest of Creevey brothers.... and on and on and on.

Hope to hear you again, Laura!
Tanti cari saluti!

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
Here's my contribution. Hope I'm doing this right.

To her great disappointment, nobody seemed to suffer of her same lack of sleep... Until something peculiar happened that morning, the morning in which Albus was going to read a new, rather interesting announcement.

Severus Snape had not slept well for the last few nights. There had been no summons from his Dark Mark, Potter and company had managed to avoid endangering themselves or anybody else for almost a month now, and those banes of his existence, the Weasley twins, had left Hogwarts along with that Umbridge woman. There seemed to be no reason for his sleeplessness, apart from the usual fear of death by torture from the Dark Lord should he ever be suspected of disloyalty. So what was it?

Apparently, whatever it was had been keeping Minerva up at night as well. In typical Gryffindor fashion, her worry and tiredness were plain to see on her face. A close look at Pomona Sprout also revealed dark circles under her eyes, once Severus unobtrusively cast the spell to see through the glamour she had cast to cover it up. Even Filius Flitwick was showing signs of exhaustion, although it took a careful observor like the Slytherin spy to see the signs in the part-goblins wrinkled face. Severus then examined the other teachers, and came to the conclusion that all the Heads of House, and only the Heads of House, were being kept awake at night.

Albus seemed fine, but Severus realized there was no way he'd be able to read anything from the Headmaster's demeanor that the powerful wizard didn't want him to see. So distracted was he by his thoughts that he didn't pay attention to Dumbledore's announcement. All he gathered was that it was some claptrap about house unity, and the Heads of Houses working together ...

Oh no, thought Severus, suddenly paying close attention. Dumbledore couldn't possibly be serious about having the Heads of Houses do that!
Overhill
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
Flitwick and Sprout didn't look very happy either, Snape noticed. He was stuck with the problem of finding out what the Headmaster had said, without, of course, letting on that he had not been paying attention. (When he caught students not paying attention, it was, of course, time to take away points or assign a detention.)

And who was expected to make the first move among the foursome? he wondered.

Something ran over his foot, seconds before Professor Spout jumped up from her chair.
wonga
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
memory wrote:
THE SECRET
Minerva McGonagall was feeling deeply annoyed. The lack of sleep was beginning to leave its marks. For many nights she hadn’t been able to rest well because of those strange, subtle, exasperating sounds. It was like hundreds of little feet tiptoeing in the corridor outside her rooms. After the first two or three nights, she had definitely stayed awoken and tried to determinate what was happening. She had even tried to open her door unexpectedly, but always, always, ALWAYS… there had been nobody or nothing outside. The thing was driving her mad. What was going on? Elves, kids or adults? She resolved to initially keep her fellows professors under control. Each morning, sitting at the breakfast table in the Great Hall, she was nonchalantly investigating their faces. Anybody else looking tired or yawning?

maryh wrote:

Severus Snape had not slept well for the last few nights. There had been no summons from his Dark Mark, Potter and company had managed to avoid endangering themselves or anybody else for almost a month now, and those banes of his existence, the Weasley twins, had left Hogwarts along with that Umbridge woman. There seemed to be no reason for his sleeplessness, apart from the usual fear of death by torture from the Dark Lord should he ever be suspected of disloyalty. So what was it?

Apparently, whatever it was had been keeping Minerva up at night as well. In typical Gryffindor fashion, her worry and tiredness were plain to see on her face. A close look at Pomona Sprout also revealed dark circles under her eyes, once Severus unobtrusively cast the spell to see through the glamour she had cast to cover it up. Even Filius Flitwick was showing signs of exhaustion, although it took a careful observor like the Slytherin spy to see the signs in the part-goblins wrinkled face. Severus then examined the other teachers, and came to the conclusion that all the Heads of House, and only the Heads of House, were being kept awake at night.

Albus seemed fine, but Severus realized there was no way he'd be able to read anything from the Headmaster's demeanor that the powerful wizard didn't want him to see. So distracted was he by his thoughts that he didn't pay attention to Dumbledore's announcement. All he gathered was that it was some claptrap about house unity, and the Heads of Houses working together ...

Oh no, thought Severus, suddenly paying close attention. Dumbledore couldn't possibly be serious about having the Heads of Houses do that!

Overhill wrote:
Flitwick and Sprout didn't look very happy either, Snape noticed. He was stuck with the problem of finding out what the Headmaster had said, without, of course, letting on that he had not been paying attention. (When he caught students not paying attention, it was, of course, time to take away points or assign a detention.)

And who was expected to make the first move among the foursome? he wondered.

Something ran over his foot, seconds before Professor Spout jumped up from her chair.

Mice! Dear God no! In a very un-manly (and un-Slytherin) like move Severus dragged his feet up onto his chair and tried vainly to cross them underneath himself without anyone noticing.

Pomona-- who was now standing on her chair-- squealed as his ensuing wiggling bumped her and she fell-- tumbling head first over the table and stopping inches from the end of the stage. Ooops. Gathering his wits Severus peered under the table only to find an even more diminutive than usual house-elf wearing an aberration Severus thought was supposed to be a beanie and disgustingly lurid mis-matched socks.

The other teachers quickly settled back down-- Pomona glaring at Severus-- and Dumbledore returned to his speech.

"And here is my little," Albus chuckled at his particularly bad pun as he picked the elf up, "helper now."

Helper? What on earth could Albus want with a shrunken house-elf? And what did it have to do with this horrendous announcment?