Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Peter's betrayal

VelvetMouse
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
Do we have any sense whether or not Peter's betrayal of James & Lily was his "induction" of sorts into Voldemort's good graces? i.e. was that his first act for V's side?

Or had he been indoctrinated into Voldemort's group previously? And if he had, why the hell didn't Snape know? Even if Snape wasn't spying for Dumbledore yet at that point, he still would have known (probably with great joy) that one of James' friends had betrayed him.

And if Snape DID know about Peter working for V, then WHY was he still convinced that Sirius was the one who killed all those people? I mean, I know he hates Sirius, and I don't think knowing his innocence would change *much*, but those scenes at the end of PoA seem to indicate that Snape truly believed he was catching an escaped murdered....

(sorry for the lack of coherence.....)

PI:4018530193
Vesera Paens
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote
Good question!

As for Snape, I don't think he knew, but then, remember, most of them didn't know who the others were.

Another interesting question: why do we have both Snape and Peter living together in Book 6? I've heard the theory that Pettigrew is supposedly watching Snape and reporting back to Voldemort, but this assumes that Voldemort is an idiot: he should know better than to think that Snape would be dumb enough to show his any disloyalty to Voldemort in front of anyone that Voldemort actually sent to live with him. If he really wanted to spy on Snape, he'd arrange for Snape to meet someone who was supposedly neutral, or on one side, but leaning toward the other. Even if that fit Pettigrew (if he was pretending to go back to the Order's side, for example), Snape would never trust him. It's similarly stupid to think that he'd be expecting Snape to spy on Peter. You just do not send a *KNOWN INFORMER* to do the spying, and certainly not in such an overt manner. It's too easy to avoid.

I'm not entirely sure how, but I think Dumbledore's somehow involved, since both men owe blood debts to Potters (though Snape has undoubtedly already repaid his, if Harry counts). As far as I can tell, that is the only thing they have in common.