Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  trying to submit story

Fairfield
Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Trying to submit a story.

Finally found the sentence that said log on and hit 'link.'

Have never seen 'link.'

Tried logging on, again. Site told me I wasn't a user. Wouldn't let me log on.

Fairfield
im2sleepy2
Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 207 Location: Illinois, USA
Can you please give some more info?

Such as, what type of machine you are using (pc, mac, etc)?

What Operating System your running?

What browser you are using?

Which versions of the O.S. and browsers?

This information will be very helpful to the admins when it comes to helping figure out what the problem is and how to solve it.

Uhm, not to be rude, but it doesn't appear that there is an author by your name that this post is under. Not to mention a member. Is it possible that you are registered under a different name?

Or possibly that you haven't re-registered at the new site and validated your registration yet?

Thanks,

Sleepy Very Happy

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
It looks as if I need to register at the new site.

Examined your home page for any such notice, looked for a link to the new site. Boy, am I dense. I can't find any such things.

I just registered several hours ago. The e-mail confirmation did not mention that I registered at a dead site.

Hence, the first question is: Where are you?

Fairfield

[PS: I'm actually amused. At one site, I cannot log in on the home page, but can go to the member section and then come back to the home page. At some sites, I need to be loged off to submit, and at others I need to be logged on to submit. At one site, it is not possible to get back to the home page from the forum section. All this is discovered by trial and error.]
im2sleepy2
Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Well duh!!!

I am sorry, I don't know what I was thinking not giving the link for the new site.

So here it is:

http://archive.sycophanthex.com/

I am sure that that will help you, and make a world of difference. Embarassed Laughing

Also, WELCOME to SYCOPHANT HEX (MAGE). We are glad to have you.

If you have any problems please make a post (as you know how to do, already Laughing ) and or possibly a help ticket.

There is all sorts of information here on the forums to help you with just about anything, and if you don't find what your looking for just ask.

Again,
WELCOME

Sleepy Very Happy

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:48 am Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your kind response and info.

I appear to be on the new site. All the submission categories, however, seem to be locked. A general announcement to this effect would assure me that I have interpreed the signals correctly, but this is a small quibble. I am curious as to when submissions will be open, but I realize the staff may be hesistant to make any promises.

I sometimes wonder why people take on the work of providing a site. (This statement is meant in the good-hearted sense.)

I sometimes wonder why people volunteer to be beta readers. I did ask one beta reader who edited a professional journal in real life. Her response was that fan fiction provided the good writing and creativity that she had hoped to see as a professional editor.

Regards -- Fairfield
im2sleepy2
Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
Actually there is a very good reason, I think, for what you are experiencing now.

The categories are not locked to submissions. You, I assume are clicking the main category (for example: Ashwinder, Lumos, The Burrow, etc) where as you need to click the secondary category of those same main categories.

I know that that may be very confusing, and I am looking around trying to find a better explanation for you.

At the moment, what I can do is refer you to the help pages located here: http://archive.sycophanthex.com/help.php#fics , on the main site.

As well as the submission rules that are located on the same page as mentioned above.

Let's say that you want to submit a story to Ashwinder (which says "locked") you need to pick a sub category (such as angst, challenge fics, drama,etc), which is just below the main category of Ashwinder. (You will have similar sub categories to choose from for each main category.)

Somewhere, here on the forums, explains this so much better than I can. And I will look for that explanation and post the link for you when I find it.

Until then, I hope the information I have given will help and is somewhat useful.

Your very welcome for the response and info. That is what I am here for.

Best wishes, I am looking forward to reading your completed story.

Sleepy
Very Happy