Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Ready, willing, and able (to beta)

hedgehog
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:23 am Reply with quote
Hi there,

I'm still too much of a chicken to post original work to the site, but I thought a beta role might be a good first step. Please consider me.

Name or Penname: Hedgehog
Email: athena2morrow@yahoo.com
Beta Experience: I've never been a beta for fanfiction though I regularly have served in this capacity in workplace and academic settings over the years.
Writing Experience: I haven't had the bravery to put anything out on SH yet, but would love to give back after all the hours of enjoyable escapism the site has provided. I have plenty of writing experience, though it falls mostly in the dry, professional journal category or the hidden in the bottom drawer category.
Ratings: Any
Ships: I spend most of my fanfic time on Ashwinder but would consider most other ships as well.
Categories/Genres: anything
Strengths: Strong grammar and basic writing skills. Brit picker by marriage, so I can offer some help there. I know my canon and tend to be devoted to projects I undertake.
Weaknesses: Not a known quantity. I realize it would be easier to assess my skills if I'd posted myself. What can I say other than "Take a chance on me!"
Likes: Ok, I love a good HG/SS fic. It's better than chocolate, but not quite as fine as a good red wine.
Dislikes: Highly OOC representations. We can play with JKR's creations, but let's not break them!
loves23rules
Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:48 am Reply with quote
Hi Hedgehog!

Would you consider beta-ing a fluffy, post-Hogwarts, one-shot HG/SS for me? I've sent additional detail in an e-mail straight to your given address.

I can be reached at loves23rules@yahoo.com

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Hi Hedgehog,

Your penname caught my eye first; I read your bio and was intrigued. I started my story in June for a similar reason - I wanted to give back to the community for the enjoyable hours I've spent lost in the HP world.

I am in need of a beta reader to complete a story started by my current beta reader, JackieJLH. For medical reasons she is unable to continue and has suggested that I try to locate a new beta reader.

I have three chapters posted on Ashwinder; the title is Tonight You're Mine Completely. It is a HG/SS ship, however I am including background on Severus' student days with Lily.

The story is currently rated (PG), but chapter four will be rated (PG-13) or (R). I'm not very good at drawing a line, as there is little that upsets me, that is except for sexual situations involving young children or sex and violence (the two do not go together in mind).

I will send you the outline in a private message and you can decide if it is for you.

I'm comma insensitive, and trying to improve. I'm American, but I check online British sources to assist in using proper terminology,

Appreciatively,
joannie
Vega Black
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Exclamation

Last edited by Vega Black on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Orl
Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Hello Hedgehog,

I know what you mean with storys at the bottom of the drawer Smile. Anyway, I collected all my courage and wrote a Snape-centric post-HBP one-shot. It was supposed to be an answer to the dirty dozen challange of november, but turned out differentely. Would you like to have a look over it? Basically I need somebody to tell me if it is crap or worth to be posted. I'm not a native speaker, so I need sb who fishes out odd expressions, corrects grammar, punctuation, well ... everything really.

I would be so grateful if you read over it! Contact me over ivizi@web.de if you feel up to it.

Thanks so much!
Orl