Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Extra paragraph spaces in story?

Snegurochka
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hello, dear Webmistress and other tech wizards/witches!

This is a ridiculously minor question, but it's driving me bonkers. Virtually every time I check my stories in the archive, one or two places will have double spaces between paragraphs (that were definitely not there when I uploaded the story.)

No problem: I'll go into Edit and delete the extra space.

But... when I preview it, there will then be an extra space in a different place. Or I'll go back to the main archive to check again and there will be a new double space somewhere.

I've gone back and forth between Edit and checking the archive on this literally millions of times, and I can never get my spacing perfect. Aaaargh.

What am I doing wrong? The way I upload is to put all the HTML tags (like for italics or bold) in my word document, then copy the whole thing and paste it into the story box. I don't know any other way to upload, so if this is what's causing the problem, please tell me what else to do!

Thank you ever so much.

Peace,
~Snegurochka
Metamuse
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
I can see how this bugs you and it irritates me as well (but I can't change the submission rules to reflect this or I would be a formatting nazi I suspect.)

But anyway, try to save the file as an html. Use Notepad, put the html tags in put two < br > in between each paragraph save has *.html

Upload the file, here it will have the extra spacing on preview, push preview again and it will go to how it should look with the one blank line between the paragraphs.

Let me know how this works for you. I have other suggestions but this is the one I use and avoids most of the formatting problems.

Snegurochka
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, thanks! I just tried uploading my newest chapter that way, so we'll see if it works. It looked fine on preview... *crosses fingers*

Peace,
~Snegurochka