Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Beta help required? I'm glad to help.

snapeaddict
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Name or Penname: snapeaddict
Email: mistresskathy@web.de

Beta Experience: marking papers (and university work) and some beta reading for friends

Writing Experience: I have a lot of writing experience along the lines of scientific work. Wrote a lot of essays in university (English, German, English and German Literature and Linguistics) and wrote a fair share of business correspondence. Then I wrote a couple of fan fics (HP and others. If you want to take a look to check out my style/preferences etc.: one is already online on "Chaos", a poem on "Occlumency" and one is currently queuing for validation on "Pureblood" appearing there any moment).

Ratings: Anything

Ships: Almost anything, I prefer het fic though. (see below)

Categories/Genres: I have to say that I'm not very much into slash. I did some beta reading for a friend who writes LotR slash, so I think it's okay but I might be biassed. Anything that is wildly OOC (without there being a plausible reason or explanation provided) will also have me turning things down.

Strengths as beta reader: I'm a teacher and used to marking and spotting mistakes. Though I'm not a native speaker of English, I think I'm fairly good. I've been learning English for over 20 years and spent a year in England and a lot of holidays in Britain. So I think, I'm okay on Britishisms and idioms but far from perfect of course. I hate giving out bad marks and being overcritical, so I think I'm rather diplomatic in my criticism.

Weakness: I will certainly miss some grammar and spelling mistakes and am not 100% on idioms. I think I know the books rather well, so I would detect canon probs as well but I'm not one of those who knows them all off by heart. Probably I'm sometimes too diplomatic. Some people prefer harsh critics.

Dislikes: Slash, PWP or kink that is wildly over the top and is not believable. PWP is fine if it is placed in a context where I'm willing to believe it, the same goes for slash and kink.

Any additional notes: Depending on how long the fics in question are, I might take some time to read them.

If you are interested, e-mail or PM me and include a short summary stating ship, pairing, proposed rating, and a little about what you expect of me as your beta.

Hope to hear from you.
Kathy
zafania
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
name;zafania
Email:zafania2000@yahoo.co.uk
Story title: Bring me the head of bellatrix lestrange(provisional)
summary:Snape's unconcious,a battered and bruised incoherent woman turns up with a severed head. told mostly in peoples memories. legilmency,lemons.
rating: nc17
Cat:?
ship: snape/oc
Warnings, not sure
desperatly need help, specielly wif spellink, never done this before, very nervous about the fact that my inner smut queen has nver played on paper before, I thought she was illiterate and couldn't write so much as a peck on the cheek, iwas wrong- she knows lots of bad words. story will be about 8 chapters, but I have to wriet in biro1st and then type Itype very very slowly. Also I am a compuret klutz. pleez help!