Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Common Room  ~  The Classics.

Delirium
Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I am SO glad someone has brought up "Pawn to Queen". When I first started reading HP fanfic, I kept hearing of the brilliance of this piece. How wonderful it was and how it was so good that the author was now a published author and writing a novel. So I searched for it and read it. Where was the brilliance? A roller skating snake in a feather boa? A Snape who appeared effete? A Hermione who was not Hermione in character? And the bloody thing was incomplete. How can something incomplete be considered a "brilliant piece of work"? More like a tarnished piece of shite. A year later and I'm STILL trying to wrap my mind about the roller skating lifesaving Mary Sue snake.
azazello
Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The published author who is writing an original novel thing is a bit of fandom hagiography.

As I was given to understand it's a rather derivative older children's book and was pretty close to self-published.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony ~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Delirium
Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, but did it contain a snake on roller skates? Oops, my bad. See? Over a year later and it still burns in my mind. Heck, I've been published - had a few short stories in a few anthologies and lit mags. But I don't pretend that my work is brilliant. My fanfic is nothing new, my original work better, but I am no Hermann Hesse.