Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers (PI Accredited)  ~  Accredited, but inexperienced Beta looking for work...

icabarburus
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Penname: icabarburus

Name: Briony

Email: icabarburus@mugglepost.com

PI Accredited Number: 0889529798

Beta Experience: None, I’m a virgin Wink

Writing Experience: I have little fictional writing experience. I have one story in the Wolfsbane archive. The majority of my writing has been for university – mainly scientific essays and reports, but also some business writing.

Personal Website: Don’t have one.

Ratings: Any

Ships: Most, but I’m not a huge fan of any death eaters or Slytherins in pairings. I also don’t like wildly OOC pairings (like Hermione/Dumbledore).

Categories/Genres: any. I like a variety of fics.

Strengths as beta reader: Canon and spelling. I’m also fairly good with plot holes and inconsistencies and reasonable with grammar.

Weakness: Story mechanics. I’m not a professional writer, so I’m not good with giving suggestions on structure and the like. Also, I’m Australian so my Brit-Picking skills aren’t brilliant. There are some similarities with “British English” and “Australian English”, so I’m good at picking up “Americanisms”, but I’m not up with different local dialects or expressions.

Dislikes: I don’t like anything that is wildly OOC/AU unless it’s a parody or there is a plausible reason (e.g. I don’t mind plots including things like Sirius coming back from beyond the veil, as long as it is plausibly explained). I don’t mind things that are not HBP-compliant, as long as there is explanation that this is the case. I’m also sick of certain plot devices like time turners used to set up romances (particularly Hermione). I love Hermione/Remus fiction, but find the time turner has been done to death Wink

Any additional notes: It may seem like I’m a bit fussy, but I’m not really – I’m pretty easy going. If you are unsure whether I’d go for your story or not, just send me a description and I’ll see if I’m interested. Please don’t take it as an insult if I don’t – fandom is a varied thing and I’m sure others will be willing to beta for you.

I’m a very honest beta – I’ll let you know what I honestly think. I’m not harsh, but can be a little blunt at times… I don’t give false praise or suck up to people, so if you want an ego-stroke, don’t bother. I love giving praise if it’s deserved.

I can pedantic with things – but that will only be with my performance! If I’m not sure of something, I’ll look it up. Just call me Hermione, I like to make sure I have my facts straight and will research things until I find out one way or the other…

PI Badge:
teethlikeswords
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
Hello. I'm writing a fic called "My Final Testament, By Severus Snape" and it is basically his story from birth to the end of HBP. The summary is as follows: "After the death of Albus Dumbledore, Severus Snape flees. For months he is sought out by everyone from Death Eaters to Harry Potter. During this time, he is writing the story of his life, his final testament, to the only person who wasn't looking for him, the only person who ever loved him."

It is a Hermione/Snape fic, though this isn't clear until the end. It's done very tastefully, though. They have more of an emotional relationship than a physical one. I'm kind of crazy about the characters staying close to canon, but I have a lot of problems with grammar.

I already have a beta but I guess my grammer is poor emough to still get rejected by ashwinder and fiction alley. I'd love you to email me if you're interested (teethlikeswords@yahoo.com). Sorry I'm so longwinded. And no hard felings if you're not into it.

Thanks, Amelia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
icabarburus
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:21 am Reply with quote
Hi all

Just a quick note to let you all know that I'm on holidays for a weeks, so I won't be able to process anything until Wednesday 29/3.

I'm able to take on more jobs after that, but if you need something done urgently, may I suggest looking up one of the other wonderful Betas on these forums.

Cheers
Briony
TradeWind
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
Hi! This is a great opportunity for a beta reader, I hope, to work on Harry Potter and the Slytherin with me. I have the first chapter up on the SH website and want to get chapter two there too.

Harry/Draco romance (mouse II helped me get it started). I've rated it W just to cover the bases, but I think it's closer to R really.

Chapter Two is the Mermen of Hogwarts about Harry and Draco joining a club of male students who snog and eat gillyweed to turn into mermen in the school's lake. Ron enters the group and makes a wonderful scene.

Chapter closes with a message from Dumbledore about true love.

Need mostly spelling, punctuation etc and some hints on structure.

Let me know. Thanks a million.
TradeWinds
icabarburus
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
Due to the start of the extremely busy season at work and some other things going on, I currently don't have the time, energy or inclination to offer my services as a beta...

Beta-work was something I was looking forward to becoming involved with, but I feel that any attempts would be half hearted and not profitable for any of the parties involved.

I will advise if/when the situation changes...

Thank you for your understanding.
Briony