Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Plot Bunnies  ~  Potential Seventh Year for Harry

elireeseadams
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Despite my excessive reading, be it of fanfiction or any other piece of fiction I can get my hands on, I do not have the writing skills to do this particular idea justice. I've already done a little bit of research and planning, and had actually started to write, but after rereading it, I know it just isn't going to work. I hope someone will maybe pick this up and turn it into the glorious story I think it can be. Smile

Tenative title: Harry Potter and the Secret Cousin

The Premise: There were three Evans girls (Please stay with me on this; I believe I have a legitimate explanation as to why she wouldn't be mentioned thus far.) :

Petunia (no specified birth year; theoretically 1958)
Lily (born 1960)
Violet (born 1963)

The Back Story:
Violet was a bit of a rebel--I see her in Slytherin and having to deal with Mudblood persecution and things; tough girl but gets involved in the wrong crowd (DE and future DE); fierce loyalty to friends and family

Violet is somehow involved with the DE until she finds out about the planned attack on her sister, at which point she tries to leave and warn them. She cannot escape.

Violet is raped by Voldemort after Peter Pettigrew becomes secret keeper and before he attacks the Potters (between Oct 24-Nov 1 1981). She concieves, and the child could be born anytime between July 10--August 21 (but before Hogwarts cutoff date; I'm not sure when that is). She dies giving birth to a girl. In bewteen conception and birth I'm not sure what happened to her; maybe she goes slightly mad, into hiding, or is protected by DE or the Order or some combination.

The child (I called her Evelyn) is put up for adoption and is adopted by a pureblood family. She attends functions with other pureblood students because of this. Somehow her birth year is mixed up so she starts one year behind Harry instead of two years behind.

She is smart; I see her as loving books. Ravenclaw material. She has no idea she is adopted.

The Story:
At the beginning of Harry's seventh year, he had a dream where he thinks he heard Voldemort say something about using blood to defeat him. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna, Neville and Ginny have been in the Library most of the year trying to look up blood charms, potions and spells to figure out what Voldemort is going to try and do and exactly whose blood is going to be used.

Evelyn tutors Goyle and Crabbe in Potions after they failed the sixth year class (Snape choses her specifically). She makes sort of allies out of them and some other Slytherins because of this.

Ginny and Luna introduce Evelyn to the rest of the gang after a tutoring session right before Christmas Holidays.

During the Holidays, Evelyn finds out she is adopted. No one knows who her biological parents are.

Evelyn starts having dreams (connected to Voldemort). He has kept up with her and now is ready to use her as his secret weapon. Someone/something tries to lure her to her father and nearly succeeds.

The Gryffindor gang make it their job to protect her. She still has Slytherin allies. (Maybe? I'm not sure whether the Slytherin students will turn and fight Voldemort in the end when it comes down to it or not.)

The gang finds out about Harry's other aunt. Somehow Hermione finds birth records/adoption papers (during spring holiday?), or someone helps Evelyn look for them. Because they know Evelyn has had dreams, too, they piece together that Evelyn was Violet's daughter (still don't know the father) and Voldemort is trying to get her to get to Potter.

After going to Dumbledore to fuss about not knowing about another aunt, Dumbledore tells the story. He didn't want Harry to know that someone so close to his mother was involved very deeply with the people who caused her death. Dumbledore does not know who her father is. Harry is upset, and Evelyn even more so.

Somehow, I'm not sure, Snape finds out that Evelyn is Violet's daughter. He remembers the rape. He knows who her father is. I cannot imagine how horrified Evelyn would be after hearing this news. They may not tell her to "protect" her. I would like for them to come through with the truth, even though it may hurt her.

From there, the story is yours. You pick how they fight it out and what happens during the final battle. I would prefer an ending with Harry living and Voldemort dead, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if Voldemort won as well.

Some things I see potentially happening are either Evelyn or Harry having a crush on each other (then being thoroughly disgusted when they found out they were cousins). I could also see Evelyn having a crush on a Slytherin.

I think Evelyn and Hermione would get along well. Evelyn is quiet and is quite used to the bossiness of her adoptive mother, whom she loves dearly.

Of course the story would include normal things like quidditch, classes and the usual troublemaking.

The reactions of Evelyn's adoptive parents when they found out who her mother and/or father were would be interesting as well. If a reaction from Petunia would make logical sense to include, that would be another point to cover.

Please let me know if you do decide to take this idea and go with it.

Here is a link to a Harry Potter timeline:
http://www.hp-lexicon.org/timeline.html

And this is a link to flower names if your interested (I liked Violet. It sounds very similar to volatile, and I definately picture that as part of her personality.)
http://www.babynames.com.au/search-categories-flowers-plants.htm
http://www.clareflorist.co.uk/meanings.asp

And if someone would like to write the backstory, let me know that as well!

Good luck!

elireeseadams
Mathstarlette
Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 33 Location: out of my mind, leave a message at the beep
I think it should have a different title... like maybe...umm...well,er... I don't know! Maybe just 'The Secret Cousin'?

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tenative title: Harry Potter and the Secret Cousin

Has anyone answered this Bunnie yet? It sounds great and I'd love to read this.

dryade
serious meg
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey, has anyone adopted this bunny yet? I could proberbly run with it and get it done. looks like fun. Please let me know at [url]megan@wbe.co.za[/url] Laughing

Thanx
Megz