Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Brit-Picker Seekers  ~  Calling all Londoners

maryh
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm writing a fic about Snape during his Hogwarts year. And no, Snape and Lily aren't romantically involved, but they are friends. ) What I've got so far is posted here: The Highest Value

I've decided that Lily's family were originally working class, and that Petunia moved up when she married Vernon and moved to Surrey. I've got to start writing about Lily's family's flat in London, and I really don't know anything about working class accomodations except what I've gotten from the Internet.

This is what I need: I'm looking for an area of London that would have had working class housing in 1975. It would be council housing, but should not be an actual slum area (at least not back in 1975). I need to have some idea of how the floor plan of such a flat or house would be laid out. If you could even approximate square footage, that would be awesome.

To give you an example of what I've done with Snape, I've adopted the town of Bolton in the Manchester area as the location of Spinner's End, and I'm using Bolton history from the 70's for my story, although I never refer to Bolton as Snape's town. I also have pictures of the kind of house Spinner's End might be, and of the surrounding area. Fan research is great!

I'd like to do the same with Lily. Here's what I've got so far: I'm thinking of Lewisham, but I'm not set on it. I've found a picture of Durham Hilll in Downham, Lewisham. One of the things I liked about Lewisham was that it had so much Council housing, and that back in the 70's, it apparently wasn't yet connected to the tube system. However, neither of those things are vital, nor is it necessary that Lily's family live in a flat.

The most important thing is that I have enough details to adequately describe Lily's home, so as long as it's in working class London of the 1970's, I'd rather have detail than Lewisham or any place in particular.

If you help me with this, I'd credit you in my fic. (or not, as you wish).