Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  A couple of suggestions

SL
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
Since you are moving to the new home and some things will be changing anyway, I have a couple of suggestions (take it or leave it, I guess).

Firstly, when stories go through the intake process, can Admins check for warnings and ratings? There seems to be more and more fics where one or the other are incorrect (sorry, I know you have a lot to do and don't want to gripe, but it's becoming more common).

Secondly, on ratings. This isn't a criticism, more something I've noticed cropping up.

Can you create a standard for authors to follow when rating their fics - and point it out to them when they are choosing the appropriate rating? Some long stories are rated B, for example, and half way along the remainder of the chapters are W. Is it right that the overall fic rating is B, when half is W? Wouldn't it more appropriate to have the highest rating on the overall fic entry, then selectively rate each chapter if the author chooses to? If you look at movies and TV, even if there is just one scene of "wantonness" that then guides the rating of the broadcast.

I understand the second point isn't something you guys are in control of, but perhaps a suggestion to authors of a standard way to rate their fics might even things out a bit.
Thanks.
Metamuse
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
Thanks for the input. This is actually in the plans more for Mage since there we can adjust the classifications a lot easier then we can on eFiction.

SL
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks, MM.

I didn't want to sound narky, but I get narky that adult authors don't know how to rate their fics or put in appropriate warnings. This is not your problem, per se, but it is frustrating. Most especially with the character death scenario and this really is common.

Thanks for letting me vent! Wink

Perhaps there is also a way to add in Major Character Death as opposed to, er, one we couldn't care less about? LOL EG: on Ashwinder, MCD if it's SS or HG, other if it's someone else.

Sorry to create work!