Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Experienced Beta

Vaughn
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Assistant Site Admin Joined: 13 Jan 2005 Posts: 5
Name/Penname: Vaughn

Email: Vaughn72000@aol.com

Beta Experience: I have a few years worth of beta reading experience in the Harry Potter fandom, and I am also a registered beta reader at Perfect Imagination. I also have beta read in other fandoms. I will be glad to provide references upon request.

Writing Experience: I've written some fanfiction in both Harry Potter and my other fandoms.

Ratings: All ratings are acceptable.

Ships: Although I am mainly a slash writer {SS/RL or SS/SB}, I enjoy many pairings, 'het' ships included. I have done beta reading for everything from SS/OFC to HP/DM, so I really don't dislike any particular ship, as long as it is well done.

Categories/Genres: Almost anything will be acceptable with one exception.

As far as song fiction goes, I will happily look over a work where songs are used as inspiration or within a full length piece. However, stories where song lyrics are used in place of actual dialogue or plot will be rejected.

Strengths as beta reader: I am fairly good with grammar and spelling and I pay strict attention to detail. I was also born and raised in England. I currently reside in the States, but I know British slang and spelling, and believe that I am a fairly accurate Britpicker.

I also have an extensive working knowledge of HP canon, with the added bonus that I am familiar with both the US and the UK editions.

Weakness: My grammar is not perfect, but I always keep my reference books at hand. Rest assured that if I am not sure, I will find the answer.

I have been known as a 'harsh mistress,' but mostly in a positive light. I will always try to provide explanations for anything I may suggest, and invite the authors that I beta for to ask me questions whenever they do not understand or agree with something I have suggested.

Dislikes: I generally dislike wildly out of canon characters, unless it is a parody or humour work. Of course, at times, a canon character may act OCC due to a plot line, and that I do not have a problem with. It's when the character becomes almost recognisable that I will no longer read. If you are unsure about your story, please feel free to approach me.

I also dislike the dreaded 'Mary Sue' and her male counterpart, 'Gary Stu.'

Any additional notes: I would like to mention that if I accept your story, I will treat it with the same care and respect that I would any of my own work. If you are looking for a beta reader to simply praise you, I'm definitely not suited to your needs. If you wish to have a beta reader who is willing to invest as much attention and care into your story that you do as the author, I would be happy to help.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
I like the way you sold yourself. I think that I could get alot out of the things you would have to say about my fics.

I am writing a SS/HG series. I am on chapter 4 and was wondering if you would be willing to Beta for me. I know that a WIP could be irritating but I am determined to get this one finished and finished right.

Thanks Very Happy

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:06 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
EriWren,

Vaughn asked me to reply for her and ask you to email her at: Vaughn72000@aol.com

She seems to be having trouble on the forums and I will have to see if I can fix it for her.

I can also vouch for her being a good beta. Wink

Roberta_Grundy
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Would you be willing to beta-read a Hook/OFC story that is being posted on Chaos? It's mostly PG-13ish.

Let me know if you can. My grammar and punctuation are decent, but I keep ending up with little mistakes that I can't seem to catch in proofreading.

Thanks! Smile
TradeWinds
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:36 am Reply with quote
Say, Vaughn, would you like to help me finish up the second part of Harry Potter and the Slytherin? It's about Harry/Draco, 7800 words, W rating, and romance genre. Part 1 is posted--thanks to mouseII, who was my beta reader for Part 2, but had to bow out for a busy schedule. Let me know if you need more info ... but I'd like to work with you on this. Let me know. Thanks! TradeWinds
aramintasnape
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Hello Vaughn!

I'm finally taking the plunge and looking for a beta. I've been writing fanfic for about 18 months now but have never really had anyone beta my work. Most of my stories are archived at Occlumency and I usually write Snape/OFC or Snape/Sinistra. I have never written slash to date, but have plans to change that in the near future!

You can contact me at araminta.s@tele2.fr if you're interested.

Thanks!

Alison
katisawriter
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
I e-mailed you a beta request but I got an e-mail back saying that my e-mail had been delayed. I have no idea what that means. Does that happen often when people email you Question my email is katisawriter@hotmail.com did you get anything from that address?

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote
Assistant Site Admin Joined: 13 Jan 2005 Posts: 5
I think it did this once before with another Hotmail user. I am not sure why that happens, however.

Anyway, I did get it and I just replied today. Let me know if you didn't receive it, and thank you!

Vaughn

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Hi,
I just started my very first HP fanfic and would like you to beta it... It's a HG/CW fic and it's very short so far. I intend on making a lot longer in the future, but only had 500-and-some words inspiration. It just felt complete for now... Anyway, I'd really appreciate if you could beta it for me. You can contact me at: guru_girl725@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Dragonfli