Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Filler fic question

phoenix
Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:37 am Reply with quote
This is sort of an odd question. While I was writing my latest story on Occlumency, I had some reviews come in pretty much asking for more clarification on some parts of it. I have started writing what would be considered filler fic. By that I mean that it is related to the main story, but provides information that is not necessary to the main story. It follows one of the minor characters.

In the one I am writing now, there is a little bit of interaction with Severus, but it won't be a lot. Now, this story really can't stand on it's own. It really benefits by being read by someone who is familiar with the Occlumency story. I could make it a bit more friendly to the new comer, but due to it's nature, I don't want to have too much exposition.

Technically, it's an Eileen Snape centered story, but I'm not sure about posting it to Lumos just because it can't stand alone. It's not quite ready for posting yet, but I thought I'd allow some time for the staff to get back to me. I also may do more than one of these.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
How long is the story? If it's only a one-shot or one chapter then just submit it as a 'cut scene' or some such at the end of your story at Occlumency -- in other words, do it as a chapter of that story. If you submit it separately, more than likely it will be kicked back b/c it is not a SS-centric story.

If it is more than one chapter, I would suggest submitting it to Lumos w/a AN attached telling readers where they can find the related story (on Occlumency) and also a note at Occlumency telling readers there that they can find the other story at Lumos.
I realise this sounds complicated, but it will make administration matters easier for us -- besides, when we convert to Mage, this will not be an issue.

If MM comes along w/another suggestion, follow her advice instead.

Thanks.

phoenix
Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice Diana. It will definitely be about the length of a chapter, around 2000-3000 words. It fits in with Chapter 3 of what's likely to be about 12-13 chapter story, and I'm up to chapter 9 already. Who knows. By the time I finish the story, Mage may be up and running. I'll hold onto it and submit it at the end. Smile

My fear was that if submitted to Occlumency it would be deleted as figures in the first third to half, but not the rest of it.