Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Great Hall  ~  POV

Chartreuse
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I have a question for experienced writers. How strict are you with the POV in your stories? Do you always mark changes in pov? It doesn't seem to be something that is picked up in the validation process.

Reason for the question is this. I really only discovered fairly recently the "rules" about pov, only to read a book on writing that says being strict about pov was unnecessary.

I assume one of the functions of a consistent pov is for ease of comprehension. I know I have wandered from SS to HG willy nilly in the past and probably when you mostly have 2 characters, and one's a her and one's him, it's not that bad. But sometimes in a scene it is good to get both characters perspectives - like a lemon scene. You get the feelings of both involved. So does that always need to be marked out?

I read something not long ago where the pov seemed to change para to para, without any delineation in between and sometimes including a secondary character, which made it really hard to follow and gave me a new appreciation for the "rule."

So what's the deal? Is there really a rule, or is it only a rule if you choose to follow it?

I just posted something and tried to be super careful with the POV. Having the "correct" pov does make sense; after all, how can one character know what another is thinking/feeling at that moment.

I Just wouldn't mind some other input.
mouseII
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
SH features an essay by Valis2 that contains a nice little talk about POV (among many other things; it's a very good essay, and I'd recommend reading the whole thing) at the following: http://sycophanthex.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=41

She spells out what the different points of view (POV) are, and discusses the pitfalls of each.

My own opinion: I find it distracting when I'm reading something where the POV bounces back and forth between characters, but I agree with you that it can be very powerful in a romantic scene. The point at which I get frustrated, and hit the back button, is when the POV is changing inside of a single paragraph. That's too much for me, and truthfully, even when the POV changes from one paragraph to the next, I find that pushes the limits of my patience - especially if the author isn't making it absolutely clear whose head I'm supposed to be inside when she changes the POV.

I prefer the third person limited POV, personally. It seems the one least likely to leave me confused about who is speaking/thinking, and I also think it gives the author more opportunity to "show" rather than "tell", because she has to imply what other characters are feeling by their facial expressions, etc., rather than simply informing the reader of what the character feels.

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
Thanks for taking the time to respond, Mouse. Glad someone had an opinion on it and was generous enough to share.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that I had no clue about POV till it was pointed out to me a couple of months ago. The comment, "your POV is wandering a bit," made me go - huh? What does that mean??? Took a bit of reading and analysing to figure it out. Now if I see an odd thing with pov I pick it pretty quickly.

It's hard enough not knowing anything about writing and then to have things complicated by seeing completely different things posted by authors. And I'm easily confused Confused

Soon I'll have a bit more of a clue. SW69 taught me commas with 'and' the other day. Woo Hoo!! That was so exciting. She is one classy female and so generous.
Chartreuse
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote
Just as an addition, I've sorted it out anyway. First person has its place but when writing third person, I like third person limited. It can change from chapter to chapter or scene to scene but not para to para - it's waaaay too confusing. The diff seems to be when it goes para to para you don't get any feeling of consistency of the characterisation, if that makes any sense. It's like a bloody tennis match; getting thrust from one character's head to anothers. It's way too easy to lose the thread.

So by telling me about third person limited, and a bit of time on the net, I got it. Thanks again, Mouse.

And hi to everyone reading. Wink