Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Plot Bunnies  ~  Closeted Snape (well-developed plot bunny/challenge)

gtsimmu
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
Closeted Snape
(new take on the marriage law challenges --hg/ss friendship-ss/rl slash)

Here is an idea I love because I am a huge fan of both HG/SS fic and of SS/RL slash. It's a well-developed plot bunny/challenge. I am an avid fanfic reader but don’t have the time, energy or interest in becoming a writer. However, if someone wants to take a stab at this one I would jump at the chance to Beta!

Because the wizarding population is dwindling at an alarming rate, a marriage law is passed that requires all single wizards of childbearing age to marry and procreate.

HG and SS end up married because it is better than the alternatives for both of them. (Author needs to come up with a plausible scenario for why they end up with each other and not someone else.)

They must consummate the marriage and although both are kind and respectful to each other, there are no fireworks. They must also continue to have sex on occasion because of the constant pressure for the ministry to have children. The sex is awkward at best.

Over time, HG and SS become close and come to love and cherish each other as friends if not lovers. They have lots in common and truly enjoy each other’s company (when they are not trying to have sex). As HG gets to know Snape, she gets increasingly curious about why he is so guarded about his love life and past relationships. He finally admits he loved someone once. She initially assumes it was Lily. But over the course of the story she finds out that while Snape truly did love Lily, it was only as a very close friend. In fact, although SS has had other close friends since then (Dumbledore, McGonagall for example) Lily was the only friend ever knew all of his secrets and she took those with her to the grave.

Finally, after lots of observation and research, HG realizes the truth --that Snape is gay and that the “love” he spoke of is Remus Lupin.

For over 25 years now he has closeted this side of himself and has a done a very good job of doing so. The story should include examples of why and how he managed to fool everyone, including Dumbledore, Lucius Malfoy and Voldemort.

Snape had been friends with Lupin while they were students and had sensed that there may have been the start of something more. He had just began to open his heart to Remus when the infamous prank at the shrieking shack happened. Snape thought Remus betrayed him and was heartbroken. He decided after that he would never let him love someone ever again. The author must decide if Remus ever knew about Severus’ feelings for him or not.

RL is now married to Tonks. Hermione is friends with both of them. (Lupin could be gay or bisexual --bi might be more interesting…)

Hermione becomes intent on helping Snape find happiness and love even if she and Snape have to stay married on paper. Author must decide if that happiness is with Lupin or someone else.

Both Snape and Hermione need to end up finding their true love. They must find a way to work around the the marriage law so that they can be with their respective lovers.

Throughout the story Snape must be in character. He remains a snarky, sarcastic bastard who happens to be tremendously intelligent and witty. Hermione catches glimpses of a more quiet, gentle and vulnerable side of him but just because he is gay doesn’t mean his character would now be sappy, sentimental --or even nice.

The author must decide on:
 A love interest for Hermione
 Whether or not HG/SS and/or RL/NT succeed and conceiving. If SS/RL end up together and there is a baby involved it could get interesting….
 Whether or not RL/NT are in the same sort of situation as HG/SS are with the marriage law or if the RL/NT relationship is based on mutual love/attraction

Here is small snippet of dialogue I pictured when Hermione finally realizes the truth and confronts Snape:

“You’re gay,” she said. There was no judgement in her tone. But it had the same certainty as if she was telling him he had a big nose.

Snape turned to her, his face expressionless other than the slightest hint of a smirk on his lips.

“Very good, Granger. Although I admit I’m a bit disappointed. I would have thought with all of your supposed intelligence that you would have guessed that sooner.”

She opened her mouth as if to protest and he cut her off, his trademark sneer spreading across his face.

“I would have thought my performance in the bedroom would have been your first clue.” Although his sarcastic delivery was intact, she detected the self-deprication underneath that statement.

She knew him well enough now to know his drill. She wouldn’t let his snarky attitude push her away this time.

He stared at her, daring her to make another comment about the subject. She held his gaze, refusing to back down.

“You’re in love with Remus Lupin.”

And with that one statement, his whole demeanor changed. All confidence evaporated and a look of panic came over his face. It wasn’t until he heard those words come out of her mouth that he was forced to look at what he had been trying to deny for years. Shit.

He stepped back and sank into the chair in silence covering his face with his hands.

“Severus.” She moved across the room until she was standing in front of him and gently placed her hand on his shoulder. “It’s okay.”

She heard him snort as he tried half-heartedly to pull away.

“It’s okay.”

She heard him release a breath he had been holding as she moved to gently sit next to him and wrap her arms around him. After a few moments of silence during which he seemed to forget to breathe she felt him gasp and begin to shake as she heard a loud sob escape his lips, countless years of surpressed emotions finally coming to the surface……