Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Challenges  ~  French Kiss Challenge for Ashwinder

belladonna
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:06 am Reply with quote
This is AU, obviously, but if you can manage to bring it closer to post-HBP canon, then more power to you.

The Challenge
Have you seen the movie French Kiss with Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan? Good for you! If not, here is a brief summary:

A woman -- Kate, in the movie -- is desperately afraid of flying and must stay behind when her fiance flies to Paris for business. She has been having second thoughts about her upcoming nuptials, but her doubts are (momentarily) erased when her fiance calls her to say the engagement is off -- he has fallen in love with a beautiful French woman. Kate confronts her fear and flies to Paris. En route she meets a French thief who, unbeknownst to her, stashes a valuable necklace in her purse. Once in Paris, the French thief offers to help Kate win her fiance back (by somewhat of a makeover, attitude adjustment, etc.) so that he can retrieve the stashed jewelry, but he winds up falling in love. And in the process of winning back her fiance, Kate falls in love with the thief who steals her heart.

The basic challenge is this: apply the basic situation of the movie to Severus Snape and Hermione Granger.

Rules

1.) Hermione is engaged to a character of your choosing. I like Terry Boot, myself, but you may use Ron Weasley/any other canon male.

2.) Hermione is afraid of flying by broomstick, so stays behind when her fiance goes to Paris (Terry may attend a Charms conference or Ron may have a Quidditch match... you come up with a story-appropriate reason).

3.) Hermione cannot Apparate to Paris. Either it's too far away for Apparition or she's never been there and doesn't have a place to concentrate on or some other fitting reason why she must fly there.

Note: Hermione doesn't have to be in Britain. She may be anywhere in the world when she resolves to go to Paris; I think it would be more realistic if she were already in France, just a good distance away from Paris.

4.) If Hermione flies by broomstick, there should be an organized flight service so that witches and wizards traveling to a common destination must fly together -- for safety and for a way-of-meeting-Snape plot device. Hermione must meet Snape when she flies (by broomstrick group or airplane, whatever).

5.) Snape is in disguise (possibly to avoid Harry's vengeance?) and is transporting information/jewelry/whatever to Paris when he meets Hermione. In order to retrieve the information/jewelry/whatever that he stashes on Hermione during the flight, he offers to help Hermione win back her fiance.

6.) Love, lemons, betrayal, heartache, etc., have at it.

The movie is a comedy, so have fun!

One More Thing: All the rules are pretty flexible... I'd really like to see a story like this written, so feel free to compromise some of the rules for the sake of artistry.

Thanks to anyone who participates!

Stories are due by December 31, 2005
bubblebunny
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'm a newbie to the whole fanfiction thing. I love this idea because I like the humorous fics heaps more than the angsty ones.

The only thing is I just read this and don't think I can complete this by the December 31st deadline. Think you might extend it?