Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers (PI Accredited)  ~  Experienced Beta

Vaughn
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Assistant Site Admin Joined: 13 Jan 2005 Posts: 5
Name/Penname: Vaughn

Email: Vaughn72000@aol.com

PI Accredited Number: 0479655983

Beta Experience: I have a few years worth of beta reading experience in the Harry Potter fandom, and I am also a registered beta reader at Perfect Imagination. I also have beta read in other fandoms. I will be glad to provide references upon request.

Writing Experience: I've written some fanfiction in both Harry Potter and my other fandoms. For some Harry Potter, I have work archived here at Ashwinder, Lumos, Occlumency, and Wolfsbane.

Ratings: All ratings are acceptable.

Ships: Although I am mainly a slash writer {SS/RL or SS/SB}, I enjoy many pairings, 'het' ships included. I have done beta reading for everything from SS/OFC to HP/DM, so I really don't dislike any particular ship, as long as it is well done.

Categories/Genres: Almost anything will be acceptable with one exception.

As far as song fiction goes, I will happily look over a work where songs are used as inspiration or within a full length piece. However, stories where song lyrics are used in place of actual dialogue or plot will be rejected.

Strengths as beta reader: I am fairly good with grammar and spelling and I pay strict attention to detail. I was also born and raised in England. I currently reside in the States, but I know British slang and spelling, and believe that I am a fairly accurate Britpicker.

I also have an extensive working knowledge of HP canon, with the added bonus that I am familiar with both the US and the UK editions.

Weakness: My grammar is not perfect, but I always keep my reference books at hand. Rest assured that if I am not sure, I will find the answer.

I have been known as a 'harsh mistress,' but mostly in a positive light. I will always try to provide explanations for anything I may suggest, and invite the authors that I beta for to ask me questions whenever they do not understand or agree with something I have suggested.

Dislikes: I generally dislike wildly out of canon characters, unless it is a parody or humour work. Of course, at times, a canon character may act OCC due to a plot line, and that I do not have a problem with. It's when the character becomes almost recognisable that I will no longer read. If you are unsure about your story, please feel free to approach me.

I also dislike the dreaded 'Mary Sue' and her male counterpart, 'Gary Stu.'

Any additional notes: I would like to mention that if I accept your story, I will treat it with the same care and respect that I would any of my own work. If you are looking for a beta reader to simply praise you, I'm definitely not suited to your needs. If you wish to have a beta reader who is willing to invest as much attention and care into your story that you do as the author, I would be happy to help.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
Vaughn's currently betareading my work, and i am just here to spread the word: She's the best possible beta i could wish for. She not only fixes every single mistake i make, grammar and spelling-wise, but she's also very nice and tends to see plotholes and such, way before i do myself. For any future author that is thinking about asking Vaughn for help : she's the best. ^_^

-Yes, i know it's shameless promotion, Vaughn - but you deserve it. =P

Kidd