Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Suggestion for Emailed Notices of Responses to Reviews

ladyofthemasque
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that, whenever I receive email notification that one of my reviews have been responded to, it takes me to a BLANK page with just a drop-down menu of chapters to choose from, here at Sycophant Hex. I then have to go hunting down the correct chapter to find the review I left, and the author's response to it. If I do not know WHICH chapter--or if I"ve left a number of reviews, or if there are many chapters to wade through--this becomes not only tedious, but aggravating, annoying, and in my viewpoint, unnecessary.

In other, similarly formatted fanfic sites (some of the system admins have admitted their website programs are pretty much identical to the one being used by Sycophant Hex for all of its affiliates), I have received email notices, and when I clicked on the url to open a new window, it has taken me not only to the review pages for that particular story, but to the EXACT chapter to which that particular review received a response from the author.

I have no idea how this feat is managed, but as the programs being used are pretty much identical, I would like to strongly urge the SH mods and system admins/coders to figure out how it is done, and to update all of the affiliate sites with the appropriate software fix. Doing so will seriously lessen the aggravation, and anything that lessens the aggravation will encourage more people to write reviews for all of these stories. SH has a wonderful reputation, and I firmly believe this 'fix' will only improve the quality of this place.

~Lotm
aka Ladyofthemasque

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
SH has no PHP programmers on staff. The mods we have in place were available through a free resource or I paid the host we use to make extensive program changes. I have plans to learn the PHP language myself but right now I do not have the time; school three nights a week, full-time job and my attention being drawn to other SH things.

We are not upgrading the current program we use anymore because there are enough bugs in it that it would require a complete re-write. We also have plans of certain features and this also would be another reason for a re-write to handle all of the features we want. Instead of investing more time and money into a program that is defective in areas we need most; the SH staff decided to invest in a new archiving program to handle the server load, features and upgrades we want in place.

The new program is called Mage. Majority of the features were user input when I have hosted 'Wishlist' forums at different intervals over the past few months.

The admins, authors and readers will have to wait for the new program. I know majority of the admins can't wait for the features that are going to help in working the queues faster and the new features for users/authors are going to be well received by the masses I think.