Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Maximum chapter/fic length

RaeWhit
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
Hi,

I read through the submission guidelines and the forums, and did not see the answer to my question. Is there a maximum number of words for submitting a single fic/chapter? I'm aware of the minimums, but is there a maximum number of words for a single submission? I have a non-chaptered fic that is over 18,000 words, and was wondering if it can be submitted as such, or do I need to break into parts/chapters?

Thanks,

RaeWhit

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
Hi RaeWhit,

There is a max number of word per chapter rule that we do impose, or the archive imposes for us rather. We suggest a max of about 10,000 words per chapter. This information is located in the User Help section of each SH archive; however, I do realise that it isn't too easy to find so I've pasted it for you here:

From the FAQ:

19. I uploaded my chapter but the bottom part of my text is missing?

There could be two reasons for this: one, your story may be too long and be over the word limit imposed on the archive. We generally recommend the maximum of 11,000 to 12,000 words per chapter. The second reason could be a Mac computer usually this problem comes from Safari. We recommend Mozilla Firefox for any viewing or uploading to any SH archive.

I realise that the FAQ says 11-12k words per chapter, but I strongly suggest that you not go over 10k per chapter. The reason for this, as stated in the FAQ, is that the archive will cut off the bottom of the text in your submission. Unfortunately, we have no control over this as the archive automatically cuts off after the max is reached.

My suggestion, with 18k words, would be to try to split the submission in half at the best possible point. Maybe do a 'part 1, part 2' thing. The best possible scenario would be to do 9k words per section; however, if you can't find a cutting off point at 9k words, you could mix it up a bit, just be sure to keep the max word limit in mind when you submit so that none of the text of your story gets cut off.

If you have any questions, you can contact the admins staff (contact info is located at the User Help section on each archive) or me personally at either dbryant0001@hotmail.com or dbryant0001@gmail.com and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thank you.

RaeWhit
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
That's exactly what I was looking for--thanks so much--sorry I couldn't find it myself. I'll just split the fic in parts, then.

RaeWhit