Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Ministry of Magic  ~  Sexual Age Policy--where does 'background information' end?

Secret Deceptions
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sexual Age Policy: All characters in stories submitted to SH who are depicted in a sexual context must be at least seventeen (17) years old, beginning May 10, 2005. All characters depicted in a sexual context in stories posted before May 10, 2005, must be at least sixteen (16) years old. Reference to physical or sexual abuse of children under the age of seventeen (17) may be included within the story only as required for background information. No graphic details may be included.

I have some questions about this.

My story revolves around the evolution of Andromeda Black’s character while she’s at Hogwarts. If it turns out well, it will be a festival entry. In order to stay realistically within the characters and situations that have developed themselves (I hesitate to take responsibility for those, they popped up nearly ready to be written down!) then a fifteen-year-old Andromeda and a seventeen-year-old Ted will be having sex.

While I have no intention of writing this graphically, and the romance is not the key plot of the story, I’m not sure if it fits entirely under the category of ‘background information’ either. The romance (and sex) are, however, crucial to the actual plot of Andromeda's slow sepparation from her family. So… how far am I allowed to go? Do I have to scratch/stretch the story to fit the laws (and loose realism)? Can I write it, but with absolutely NO details? Can I write kissing and such, and fade out the sex? (Around a mild PG-13 rating?)

Is intent involved (for instance, I have no intent to make underage sex seem appealing. Just to mention that it does indeed happen)? Did I even ask this question in the right place?

Thanks in advance for the help,
--Secret
Metamuse
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:39 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 28 Nov 2004 Posts: 475 Location: USA
Hi Secret,

If you think the that the sex is a crucial part of the story, then yes, it can be included in the story. Just no graphic details. You can keep it to a low R rating tastefully. You can include the thoughts and reasons why behind it of course.

Intent is a little bit involved but not much.

Here's an example of a different type that could be written graphicly and probably spook several people.

Hermione could be molested as a child, but instead of showing the action of the molester by 'he inserted a finger roughly into her pink virginal lips', it could be seen through Hermione's eyes, 'I felt his finger enter me and I tried to push out the pain. I escaped to different world where I wouldn't have to face this torture.'

I hope I gave a brief description of what I mean. It's not the best writing but should explain well enough.

If you have further questions please let me know.