Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Seekers  ~  Need a new Beta for a complete, novel-length SS/OFC fic

Shanti Snape
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:50 am Reply with quote
This fic is complete. It is a 7 chapter prologue, 57 chapter 'main' story and a single-chapter epilogue.

It has been beta'd. Many chapters have been beta'd by two betas. It is a little over half Brit-picked.

However, I have some serious difficulties with tense and punctuation of which I was previously unaware. The story has been posted as a WIP at some of the 'lesser' archives and I've been correcting errors as they are found by readers in addition to those found by my betas.

I do not need plot assistance, per se, though I am not in the least opposed to a beta who points out roughness in the story flow as well. It appears from my 'rejection letter' (*sniffle* Wink ) that my primary challenge is mechanics.

It is a LONG story. It represents over a year of my life. heh. I am very fond of it so I am not terribly objective anymore, if I ever was. I take constructive criticism very well, as I want it to be 'perfect'--or at least as perfect as I can make it.

All my files are in MS word, and I am not very techie. I would prefer a beta who is able to send/receive the files in MS word. Obviously someone who has the time to look this over chapter by chapter as well.

I have four kids and a 'real life' as well, so I'm not looking for a 'rush' job as much as someone who can really catch the details. I've homeschooled my kids for years and thought I was pretty sharp with my grammar skills! The errors the admins pointed out were entirely correct and valid--but I missed them every time and I'm not certain I would even now be able to catch them. If you thought you could do a chapter or two a week, that would be splendid.

Incidentally, the fic was completed and posted to the lessor sites 46 hours before HBP was released in my state. It is AU to HBP, and I am not planning on attempting to change it enough to parallel HBP in any way. It did closely follow/parallel canon up until that point.

Please contact me if you have need of further information or if you can help me.

Thank you.

Lisa, aka Shanti

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:14 am Reply with quote
Hello!

I would like to volunteer to beta your story. Having attempted to perfect my grammar/punctuation and such after getting a few rejection letters of my own when I first started writing, I believe myself to be very good at finding the small errors that a lot of people pass over. And I love Snape, and long stories, so I could definitely work with the one to two chapters per week. Probably even three or four most weeks, because I live a highly boring life and spend (literally) hours on my computer daily.

Oh, and my computer is MS Word compatible. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a writing program that my computer isn't compatible with. I installed just about everything to work with my own betas in the past.

If you're interested, drop me a note at llamagoesllama@excite.com or just respond to this post. Smile

Jackie

I once had a real life. Then I discovered Harry Potter. Then I discovered Harry Potter on the internet... *shrug* Real life is overrated anyway.
Shanti Snape
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Thank you SO much! I have to run kids here and there today, but when I get home I will address the errors that were pointed out to me in my 'flush' letter, Wink and try and self-catch any others since my goal is to actually *improve* my writing in this process. For me, that is the point of all this. heh. Then I will send you the chapters.

I am actually in conversation with the two women who did my initial beta-work--they were primarily 'hired' under promises to help me keep my Snape SNAPE, and prevent my OC from Mary-Sueness. However, now that the story is complete, I really feel the Prologue is almost unnecessary. In the 'birth' process of the story, it was where I began, but reading it now I realize it is a bit 'dry' and most of the information contained within is at least touched on in the 'main' story. Feel free to advise me in that regard as well if you like. I would still like to attempt to repair/submit it if for no other reason than the practice it represents.

Ah, rambling. Anyway, thank you very much, and expect to hear from me later this afternoon.

Lisa/aka Shanti