Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Any theories on who R.A.B is?

Verity Brown
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote
One thing that strikes me particularly in the little info we know about Regulus: no one seems to know for certain how he died.

The person who wrote the note knew they were going to die. Most likely, they knew about the poison in the basin. It seems entirely probably to me that Regulus died of this slow-acting poison, after having replaced the locket.

Verity

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote
Chapter 6, OOTP, where the characters were de-doxifying and cleaning the drawing room at the house of Black:

Quote:
They found an unpleasant-looking silver instrument, something like a many-legged pair of tweezers, which scuttled up Harry's arm like a spider when he picked it up, and attempted to puncture his skin. Sirius seized it and smashed it with a heavy book entitled Nature's Nobility: A Wizarding Genealogy. There was a musical box that emitted a faintly sinister, tinkling tune when wound, and they all found themselves becoming curiously weak and sleepy, until Ginny had the sense to slam the lid shut; a heavy locket that none of them could open; a number of ancient seals; and, in a dusty box, an Order of Merlin, First Class, that had been awarded to Sirius's grandfather for 'services to the Ministry'.

Could THAT have been the horcrux?
Idril
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote
I believe so.

ALOT of VERY important elements in the Harry Potter series have been mentioned in passing in a previous book for example, Hagrid mentioned that he got the giant motorbike from "Young Sirius Black".
Lo and behold, he ends up being Harry's godfather.
Lariff
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:54 am Reply with quote
The thing with JKR is she's dreadfully obvious once you know what you're looking for. I had a theory that HBP was Snape since the title was released simply because she had never declared concretely that he was pureblood, we all just assumed.

Now, facing Regulus, we see similar lack of detail. In almost all of the other LV murders we hear of, we get some kind of gory detail.. either they were blown to bitty pieces, or they were tortured for days on end, etc. But Regulus' death is the only really vague one. Which is totally conspicuous considering how heavily linked the Black name has been to LV in the past years. You'd think that Regulus' death would, at the very least, be surrounded by all sorts of rumours.

Voldemort likes to scare people into submission. Why didn't he make an example of Regulus, of all people? Unless he had a reason not to?

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:12 am Reply with quote
Suppose that the locket in Grimmauld Place really IS the Horcrux and that it was Regulus who stole it, how was Voldemort to know that? The fake was still in place when Harry and Dumbledore came to fetch it, so it is likely that Voldemort didn't know of it yet.

Also, as Larif already said, this is a very good reason for a particularly gruesome murder on Regulus Black. Attempting to kill or weaken the leader of their movement - wouldn't that qualify as one of the highest forms of treachery? It would be an example for everyone not to double-cross the Dark Lord, followers and enemies alike.

The only reason why Regulus' death could be as mysterious as it is, IMO, is that Voldemort himself didn't know of the treachery until it was too late. I wouldn't put it past Bellatrix (or a loyal Snape, as much as I hate to admit it) to dispose of the traitor on behalf of the Dark Lord.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote
Just to screw with people's heads (also because my first thought was that RAB was Regulus, too and JKR never makes it that easy), what about Uncle Alphard?

1. We never get to know his full name either - he too had been blasted off the tapestry
2. We know he's dead from well before the start of the series and we don't know how he died
3. He is truly a throw away character - I only recall the one mentionin OotP where Sirius says his uncle left him some money - which is *presumably* why he was blasted off the tapestry
4. The whole Black family - except for Sirius - is supposed to be staunch LV supporters
5. And, because I know people are going to start screaming that RAB starts with an "R" - who says that Alphard is his first name? Ginevra goes by Ginny, Nymphadora goes by her last name, Tonks, and Mad-Eye is not Alastor's first name.

This still makes the locket a Black family posession and makes Kreacher, Mundungus, and Grimmauld Place important.

Gotta love alternative theories.

It's really hard to be a dark lord of terror when your eyebrows are on fire.
aphrodeia
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 06 Dec 2004 Posts: 46
deianaera wrote:
5. And, because I know people are going to start screaming that RAB starts with an "R" - who says that Alphard is his first name? Ginevra goes by Ginny, Nymphadora goes by her last name, Tonks, and Mad-Eye is not Alastor's first name.

Hmm. Not a bad thought! Thanks for sharing that! Very Happy
Pace
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Ok, this might be far fetched, but what about his former employers, Borgin and Burkes? Mr Borgin is still alive but what about Mr Burkes? Maybe he took a liking to Tom Riddle and was apalled when he realized what was happening to the boy/young man? He could have felt compelled to do something to stop him (from what I understood, the shop started out as a sort of antique store)?

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2005 Posts: 4 Location: Bemidji, Minnesota, USA
hmm so I was thinking over who we know with last names that start with B, and could have known enough about the Dark Lord to figure out how to get to the lake and such. What about Borgin or Burke (I think that was his last name, you know the shop keepers from Knockturn Alley?) The fact that they worked in Knockturn Alley at all would give them a lot of knowledge about the Dark Lord, I didn't see a mention of how old they were so they may well have either already been in business when Riddle was in school, or they could've been in school with him.

I don't know, but those are my thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lariff
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Not that the character's real initials are necessarily R.A.B., but according to the HP Lexicon's master list of Witches and Wizards, here's a list of people who could fit, based on initials alone (and not actual likeliness of them doing it):

1. Professor Binns -- we don't know his first name, and well he IS dead
2. Mr. Black -- no indication of first name, and for all intents and purposes he is dead.
3. Mrs. Black -- no first name, dead as well.
4. Regulus Black -- so far, seeming like the most likely candidate
5. Mrs. Bones (susan bones' grandmother) -- no indication of first name, killed by DEs
6. Borgin -- No first name, he's not dead, but we have no indication that LV ever killed the person
7. Rudolph Brand -- I doubt it's him, but initials fit.
8. Burke -- His name is Caractucus, but who knows.

Well that's it. So if its an existing character with fitting initials, those are the ones!

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
This is just a minor point, but on the speculation that the locket found at Grimmauld Place was the Horcrux... when Harry saw the locket in Dumbledore's pensieve, would he not have recognised it? Maybe not, I don't suppose the locket he saw at Grimmauld Place was very significant for him.

But also, for Regalus to go to all the trouble to get the Horcrux, why would he not just destroy it, rather than taking it back to Grimmauld Place, where he knew at least some of his family would be supporters of Voldemort?

And lastly, if it is Regalus, did he have help in drinking the potion, like Dumbledore did with Harry? If so, who could that be?
Verity Brown
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
odsbodkins2005 wrote:
But also, for Regalus to go to all the trouble to get the Horcrux, why would he not just destroy it, rather than taking it back to Grimmauld Place, where he knew at least some of his family would be supporters of Voldemort?

Maybe he didn't have time to do so before the poison killed him.

odsbodkins2005 wrote:
And lastly, if it is Regalus, did he have help in drinking the potion, like Dumbledore did with Harry? If so, who could that be?

Severus, maybe?

I think it may also be possible that he didn't have help. Did Dumbledore actually need help? It seems remotely possible to me that Dumbledore may have involved Harry in the process because, at some point, Harry might realize that he had done exactly the same thing Snape had: followed Dumbledore's orders, doing something that would lead to Dumbledore's death. Just a thought.

Verity

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
verity wrote:

Severus, maybe?

I think it may also be possible that he didn't have help. Did Dumbledore actually need help? It seems remotely possible to me that Dumbledore may have involved Harry in the process because, at some point, Harry might realize that he had done exactly the same thing Snape had: followed Dumbledore's orders, doing something that would lead to Dumbledore's death. Just a thought.

Verity

This gives me hope that Severus' actions are not as dark/evil as they appear. I would like to know how DD found the Horcruxes especially the last one. Forgive me if it says and I was too distraught to pay attention. If Severus gave him the info then I would not be as optimistic of him being good or "less evil". It makes me smile when I see your message on your sign - maybe i am just in denial but i believe he will be shown in a much better light in book 7.
Idril
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
Idea This thought just struck me.
If Harry legally owns 12 Grimmauld place and and it's contents,
AND IF the locket found in OoTP really IS one of Voldemort's Horcruxes (Horcruxi???),then.....

wouldn't that mean that Harry Potter OWNS part of Voldemort's soul?
Laughing

Very symbolic.
Nakhash Mekashefah
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
Don't forget - it was a two-person job (Harry and Dumbledore) and it would have been a two-person job for R.A.B. I'm thinking the second person would need to know what the potion in the bowl was, how to counter-act its effect, and be able to replace it.

[EDIT] I really need to make sure I've read an entire thread before responding.

My point was, it would probably need someone gifted in potions.

HOWEVER, if it were Snape, he either didn't know where DD was going and so couldn't warn him, or did know and allowed him to be poisoned.

And why was Lily's skill in potions mentioned so much? Could she have been the one to go with R.A.B.?

Nak

Last edited by Nakhash Mekashefah on Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:27 am; edited 3 times in total