Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Common Room  ~  The Seven Transgressions.

RachelW
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Posts: 64 Location: The Republic of Texas
This series of vinegettes was posted on Ashwinder a while back and I put it on my favorites recently. When I first read it, I was mostly squicked...it's strange, surreal writing. But, I go back and read because the author has a way with words...few words. I tend to be very wordy when I write, so I really admire the ability to be so sucinct and clear with so few words.

Warning: This is strange, bizarre, and visceral. The imagery is well done, but not exactly pretty.

http://ashwinder.sycophanthex.com/viewstory.php?sid=6193

Anyway, did any of you read this, and what did you think?
Snape Fan
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
strange, bizarre, and visceral

I just got done reading that story - twice!

And I admit I'm still confused on parts of it. But you are dead on with your review Rachel.

I didn't agree with some of the chapters and where the characterizations went, but it's not my story! I would also have liked some continuation on some chapters, instead I was left hanging.

I think of all the chapters, the last one bothered me the most. The picture painted of Snape is not one I like to think of. I would hope he could have some closure in his years, but it appears not. But I have to admit, he was still the same old Snape to Potter and still a gentleman to Hermione, because I do think, even though JKR hasn't shown it, he is a gentleman.

One thing about this author I will say, is I had no problem whatsoever picturing what she was writing. Especially in Chapter 3, where Snape saves Hermione from the snake venom and spits in her mouth. As gross as it was to read, believe me, I gagged reading it! Did anyone else?

I'm not sure, in all honesty, if I will go back and read this a third time, but it will not be a story I forget anytime soon.

Ces
Wonk
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I agree...I read it and, there really isn't many other words to describe it, it was fascinating. I think my favorite vignette has to be "the Thinny".

They kind of remind me of a series of short stories I read I while ago, called "the Tales of Eva Luna". Though I haven't read it in a long time, so I'm not sure. Perhaps just the writing style and the bizarre and intense imagery.

I would definately recommend it, just because it's so interesting and so well-written.
Lariff
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
What an odd story. Yet fascinating. I reread it too many times to count, trying to find out exactly what it was hidden behind those words that made me shiver.

It was confusing, but in a good way.