Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Leaky Cauldron  ~  A couple of questions about original stuff & fanfic

Overhill
Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
Open questions.

I know a number of authors got started writing by doing fanfic, including Meg Cabot, Ray Bradbury and Stephen King, although none of them tried to sell any, and that was a pre-internet world.

I've noticed too from time to time, certain author's stuff on the internet disappears when they start selling their own stories, that they pull it off.

Is there a rule that says you have to make all your posted fanfic disappear? Or is that just what one does, so an not to accidentally plagerlze oneself?

How would anyone know who was the real-life author of the fanfic?

And while on the subject of fanfic, other than Star Trek and Star Wars, are there any other universes that encourage professional fanfiction?
celisnebula
Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I think some author's feel that fan fiction will impede their progress in the traditional publishing medium; and for some publishing companies, that is true. But there isn't a concrete rule for it.

There are actually a couple of authors who started with us that still keep their stuff up. Jean Johnson is one - she's ladyofthemasque. She writes paranormal romance - the Son's of Destiny is her most known work, and she does allow fan fiction too - which is awesome.

Then there is R.J. Anderson. She writes under R.J. Anderson too for YA fiction. Her Snape/OFC story is one of my first Snape stories.

Then of course in other fandoms is Naomi Novik. She writes under a different name, but all of her stuff is still up.

So, all in all it really depends on the author.

Me, I publish poetry under a different name, but you won't see me pulling my fan fiction down any time soon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger