Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Plot Bunnies  ~  Rabid S/H plot bunny that won't stop gnawing my leg...

Gina
Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I have no gift for writing. The details are as follows:

We’ve all read fics where Hermione pursues a reluctant Severus, who believes her interest is in no way genuine and all part of some elaborate attempt to make a fool of him. While I was reading one such story, I started to think “what if”. What if she wasn’t really interested, but instead spying on him?

The scenario played out in my head something like this: Following Dumbledore’s death, Severus has managed to gather more information for The Order, but is naturally unable to convince them he’s on their side. However, they haven’t been able to find anything out otherwise so they have no choice but to listen. The Order not being complete idiots, they decide to send someone to keep an eye on him, and Hermione volunteers for the job. Her boyfriend, Ron (who is actually very sweet and not at all hotheaded or moronic), with whom she is in deep mutual love, is worried for her safety, but she argues very reasonably that she’s a known champion of lost causes and so Severus probably wouldn’t give too much thought to her sudden attempt at befriending him, and her continual presence at headquarters would certainly go unquestioned.

It starts out very subtle, with Hermione following him to –ostensibly- offer a sympathetic ear, and over time she gets him to open up and trust her as a friend. Then the inevitable happens and he falls for her. She’s feeling a little guilty about all this, as she’s beginning to think he might be trustworthy after all, but the little niggling doubts in her mind keep things going and so she pretends to have fallen for him, as well, but holds him at bay by talking of her reluctance to hurt Ron. Whether she sleeps with him or not is up to you, but Severus does start to believe that he’s actually stolen her affection until the time he finds out otherwise (possibly by arriving at headquarters at an inopportune moment and overhearing Hermione’s latest report or catching the two lovers talking about how this assignment is starting to gnaw at her conscience).

The war finally ends with Severus alive and free, so he begins to plot revenge on a guilt-stricken Hermione. He decides that the best way to hurt her would be to find a way to make her fall for him (non-magically aided) then leave; despite still having feelings for her. Whether she and Ron broke up during the war due to the stress it put on their relationship, had an amiable parting of ways after “puppy love” faded, or there was a spectacular blow-up when Ron found out she wanted to leave him for Snape is up to you; however, if there is a row it would be nice if Ron didn’t suddenly become a clichéd jerk but was allowed to be a guy who is just understandably very upset at losing his girlfriend. A bittersweet ending wherein Hermione and Severus admit their feelings but realize there’s too much mistrust on both sides for it to work and go their separate ways or try and remain friends is fine, or you can find a way to turn it all around and have them both admit wrongdoing and try to make a go of it.

(And I might as well admit here that I’d be of no help for further discussion. I made a vow to myself that I wouldn’t so much as crack open a Harry Potter book until the series was done, as I haven’t very much patience with “to be continued” things {so waiting between chapters on fic is obviously a cuticle-destroying experience for me}, and follow the fandom mostly through fanfic and sporadic viewing of parts of the movies.)
VIVAvivacious
Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I know you posted this approximately three years ago and have not been back to the SH boards since, but I have decided to write this. Hopefully you will get to see it one day!