Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Blood Status Question

saraband16
Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I looked for a subject similar to this but could not find any so I apologize if this has been addressed before. My question is how do you determine one's blood status with all the intermarriage and Muggleborn witches/wizards? For instance, if Severus, a half-blood, had a child with Hermione, a Muggleborn, what would the blood status of their child be?
Is Harry considered a Half-blood because his mother was Muggleborn?
Overhill
Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
Harry would be considered half-blood, but it didn't seem to matter to Draco Malfoy when they met on the train, nor did Snape's half-blood status seem to matter his parents.

I think it goes Muggle-born (or mudblood), half-blood and pure-blood. Anything between half-blood and full blood is "hey, did you catch the Quidditch game last week?" Other than during the wars and a few pure-bloods and snobs like Umbridge, 99% of wizards could not care less. I doubt that even the Basilisk was all that concerned about it and I noticed that (with the exception of Draco) ALL the students were worried about who was going to be the next one petrified.

For most wizards, sitting next to a pure-blood woud be the same as a Muggle sitting next to someone whose family came from the Maryflower: That's nice; please pass the salt, and hey, how about those Tutshills/Raiders last week?
celisnebula
Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
Overhill has pretty much got it.

Muggleborns would be low man on the totem in terms of prejudice, followed by half bloods and the pureblood. Semantics could suggest that a muggle born witch and a pureblood could create a half blood - but I think that once it's determined that a person has magic, then their offspring are considered to be at least half bloods - only the purebloods could reasonably say (or lie and say) they haven't muggle blood.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger