Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Accredited and Enthusiastic College-Age Beta

potionsmistress23
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Username: potionsmistress23

E-mail: potionsmistress23@gmail.com

Beta Experience: I am an accredited beta with Perfect Imagination and currently am working on projects with six different authors in the HP fandom. They are posted on Ashwinder, TPP, and FF.N.

Writing Experience: I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I wrote for my high school newspaper and currently am writing for my university's paper. I have been published in a journal of ethics as well as a series of reflection booklets and literary magazines published by my university. My first fanfic, Love Vigilantes, is currently being written and posted on Ashwinder, TPP, and FF.N.

Personal Website: If you're interested, I've recently started a blog chronicling my reading of the works featured on the "1001 Books to Read Before You Die list." http://lastleaf1001.blogspot.com/

Ratings: Any

Ships: I am particularly fond of Hermione/Severus ships as long as Snape is not OOC. Most of my own writing in the Potter fandom has involved this pairing.

I would prefer not to beta slash fics since I have no personal experiences with same-sex relationships and feel that other betas could be more adept in this area.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much open to any ship except those that involve Voldemort or Dumbledore (unless they are supporting characters, of course!)

Categories/Genres: Pretty much anything, but as I've said, I don't feel confident beta'ing slash. I'm not a huge fan of songfics either, but I'd be willing to work with them.

Strengths: Spelling, Grammar, Plot, Character Development, Flow (sentence structure), Canon (although canon is certainly one of my strengths, I am more than willing to beta AU stories)

Weaknesses: Sadly, I live in the U.S so Brit-picking isn't one of my strengths. However I've always been fascinated with British culture and have family friends that live in England, so I can get by with Briticisms. I studied abroad in London for four months, and I'm sure I could use my friends as resources, if need be.

Dislikes: Nothing really. However, I mostly dislike OCC-ness, especially in regards to Severus Snape.

Notes: While I am well aware that the role of a beta is to proofread and offer assistance to a writer, I would ask that an author reread their updates at least once before sending them along to me. This can prevent simple mistakes and confusion about word errors that may have been caused when spell check automatically changed a word to something you didn't intend to write, etc.

Turn Around: 2-3 days, Maximum 1 week.

I think that covers it, but please send me an e-mail if you have additional questions! You can also see my Perfect Imagination accreditation profile here: http://www.perfectimagination.co.uk/BetaReader/profile_Potionsmistress23.html?fandom=HarryPotter