Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Sirius' Mirror

wjb35
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I was rereading HBP prior to seeing the movie and there was something that didn't sit right with me.

I feel like I'm missing something, but it strikes me as improbable that Harry would have *forgotten* about a birthday present from his godfather, I mean, he's only got a handful of friends and Sirius is so important to him... I know that to advance the plot of OotP, Rowling had to make it terribly difficult for Harry to get in touch with Sirius - all those risky floo calls and opportunities for miscommunications, etc.

It's frustrating to realize that Harry had the means to get in touch with him at any time - and it's clear that he feels that frustration very keenly, but it seems a bit authorially *mean* to put him through that additional wringer, if you know what I mean...

Your thoughts?
celisnebula
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Honestly, having a teenager that age who has a cell phone (which he paid for - and pays every month on) that he constantly forgets about - usually left in his sock drawer - the whole thing with the two way mirror is immensely plausible.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Overhill
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
I agree. My teenagers were the same way. I don't remember Harry even unwrapping it, until after Sirius's death. Maybe it's how it is with some people - my husband has been given gifts, and -whoops, out of sight, out of mind.