Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Keepers  ~  Experienced British Beta.

northernmonkey
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Name or Penname: Ellie / northernmonkey

Email: ksoze1959@yahoo.com

Beta Experience: I am currently beta-ing:

The Old Ways by Mela (Petulant Poetess), Leave by Charmed3 (Eros and Sappho) and I recently completed I Have Burned the Mask by Morvren (Ashwinder).

On all three I am credited as Ellie.

Writing Experience: I have an English Literature degree and proof-read for a living. I do not write fanfic, but I do the odd bit of writing in my spare time.

Personal Website: northernmonkey.livejournal.com

Ratings: Anything.

Ships: My preferred 'ships are HG/SS and HP/SS, but I am quite happy to beta outside of my preferences.

Categories/Genres: Anything from heavy angst to fluff to roll-on-the-floor funny.

I will also beta HBP compliant and non-compliant.

Strengths as beta reader: I do a very thorough job: spelling, grammar, brit-picking, canon, narrative coherence and character consistancy.

I work on a 2-draft system: I always ask for at least two drafts before submission.

Weakness: When I beta I am completely honest. I try to be nice about it, but if there's something I think doesn't work, or seems so out of canon that it would never happen, I will let you know.

I will also edit everything into British English.

Dislikes: I'm not a bit fan of OFCs as protagonists. I also don't particularly like cross-over fics.

Any additional notes: I am available for WIPs of any length, one-shots and short length completed fics. I will consider novel-length completed fics, but my turnaround time may be longer.
blu mya
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Hello, i would so appreciate your help, I really need a beta for my first Fan Fic. I hope it wont be too much trouble as its only a ficlete (about 800 words)

tittle: The Remembrall

Characters: Hermione, Ron, Harry

Genres: (Ficlete) Friendships, Romance, Fluff, General

Rating: C

Warnings: None

Summary: The war is over and the Golden Trio is now two. Hermione and tries hard to forget the death of the third from their famous group, the one that had recently become her boyfriend. However, she finds herself staring into the red orb trying to remember what she had forgotten about him...

(i think thats all the information)
I so so sooo hope that you can be my beta i really need one. If you dont mind beta-ing my work could you email me? If you can then i will email you my story.

My Email is jacqi3@hotmail.com

Thank you if you can help

Jaki

Very Happy ^_^ Smile

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Hello Elli,

I just wrote my first fic called "Damn old fool" (I'm open to better suggestions for the title!) and desperately need a beta to have a look over it. You sound as if you are ready to do it all -grammar, spelling, punctuation, wordflow! And I need it! I'm not a native speaker and odd expressions or weird sentences might be the result of it. Most of all though I need sb. completely honest to tell me if the whole story is rubbish or -well- acceptable to be posted!

It is a little one-shot with roundabout 800 words, inspired by the dirty dozen challange. SS takes refuge in his little hut after murdering Dumbledore on the tower. There he thinks back at the time he spend with AD in that hut.

Really I didn't manage to get the required words in and preferred to follow the story in my head.

Hmm, anything else? I did write many papers for university and got mostly positive comments on them, but since they are on the scientific side they were no help with this Sad

Are you interested? I would be so grateful!! Very Happy
Thanks!
Yvonne

E-Mail: ivizi@web.de
demeterschild
Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 2 Location: Michigan, United States
Hi Elli,

My name is Michelle and I'm looking to get my first decently lengthed (is that a word? you're a beta!) fanfic off the ground. In the past I have written one-shots and vignettes though I have yet to finish anything in this fandom. The fic that I am working on right now is yet to be titled and only has one chapter completed, however, it is outlined.

I have one beta, but I believe it is good to have two and I also see that you could britpick for me. (I'm from the United States, Michigan to be precise.)

The fic will probably be somewhere around 20 chapters (very rough guess) and it is an SS/HG. It is HPB compliant and takes place about five years after book six. It is very Snape and Hermione centric.

If you think you'd like to beta for me, please pm me or contact me at demeterschild@gmail.com

Thanks!
Michelle

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - Hamlet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MissusZ
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Name: Sara/MissusZ

Email: imsuchaqt91@earthlink.net

Story Preview:
It was a fiercely cold night, the wind howled and a branch tapped against the fogged glass window. The slight crack in the glass, made the room chilly despite the large brick fireplace with a roaring fire. Stars did not twinkle tonight; they bleakly shone in the dark night sky. Grey clouds hung in the sky shifting with the windows whispery breath. The trees shivered in the howling wind, and outside a man in a dark black cloak hugged himself tighter. The bitter cold nipped at his prominent nose, his ivory skin drinking in the moonlight. A frost flew across the ground; and edged its way onto the tips of his shoes. With a quick sweep of his hand, he tugged his ebony cloak closed and glanced up to the fogged window. Would she be sleeping in her cozy little bed, or pacing the house wondering when her husband would return? He grumbled at the thought, that’s exactly where he should be in his bed, sleeping, alone.

Hi Elli,

I'm writing my first HG/SS fanfiction and would love to have a dedicated beta. I added a priview in hopes of presuading you. Smile I hoping to make this into a short story--small novel, depending on time and feedback.

I'd be eternally grateful if you edited for me! Please contact me, if you will.

Thanks so much!

Regards, Sara
[/b]
Froggy
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
I'm in dire need of a beta for my one-shot Harry/Ron fic rated W, length approximately 2500 words.

I am listed as froggy in all archives. If you'd like to help me out, feel free to email me at Niektete@hotmail.com :)
Signe
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Hello Ellie
I've written my first fanfic and would very much like for you to beta it. It's called Amplexus Himeri and has about 3000 words.
Hermione has been hit with the Amplexus Himeri curse (latin for Embrace of Lust) and only her greatest desire can release her before she goes mad. Her greatest desire happen to be the voice of Severus Snape. See where this is going? Wink I wrote it because I'm a total sucker for Alan Rickman's voice, so I could really relate to Hermione's position... Razz
I don't know much about the formal requirements in fanfics and I don't know how good my English is. I would be very grateful for your help! My email is fantatiker@hotmail.com
Signe Lausen
Blackgurl
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Hi Ellie!

I don't know whether you are still betaing since it has been a couple of years since you posted this, but I am desperately looking for a beta. This is a copy of my post on the seekers forum:

(Ok, I can't find it... I hope it's being checked by the admins or something and not that it's nog going to be posted at all... Anyway, here you have some of the details)

Name: BlackGurl
Email: Susan_Kuiper@Hotmail.com
Story title: Hidden Desires
Summary: Hermione wakes up after having this amazing, very realistic dream. It almost seems like a memory..?
Rating: Wanton (For now, I might change it to lascivious later)
Category/Genres: Romance, mystery/suspense, drama
Ship: SS/HG
Warnings: Character Death

My first language is Dutch although I have lived in Thailand for 7 years, going to an international school so my English is, in the very least, adequate. It might need a bit of a brush up though because two years ago I moved back to Holland and since then I haven't kept up with my English as much.
I'd definitely need help in the grammar department, I thought I'd do well enough in it, but when I submitted my first chapter of my first written story ever, I got it back saying it contained too many mistakes. So I guess I over estimated my abilities. To tell you the truth, I had hoped to get the first story posted and find a beta among the readers, but I guess that isn't working out...
Anyway, since I'm completely new at this I'll probably need some help with the plot as well further along the story, just so you know...

I hope to hear from you soon,
Love, BlackGurl