Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Challenges  ~  Marriage Law challenge

peskipiksi
Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me what the rules of this were? I know, obviously, that the deadline has passed, but I think it was before I even joined the site, and I would like to have a go at this, even though it isn't a challenge any more.

Thanks very much
Overhill
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
It's based on the Marriage Law challenge on WIKTT.

I've come across a few stories on Ashwinder that have the rules. Here's where the stories are listed (all 108 pages of them). Someone, somewhere, should have the rules enclosed. It used to be rule that when you did the story, you had to include the rules....

http://ashwinder.sycophanthex.com/categories.php?catid=39&parentcatid=39&offset=0

Don't worry about deadlines - I've been working on a "Lost in a Good Book" challenge, which I will post someday in the far, far future, and I know that that deadline is far, far in the past.

peskipiksi
Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks very much for this, Overhill. I'll look though them when I've got several hours to spare!
Overhill
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:06 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
I did some more research, and found this at http://www.fanhistory.com/wiki/Marriage_Law_Challenge:

The Marriage Law Challenge was created by Chelleybean for WIKTT in 2004.

The basic challenge was that, after the final downfall of Voldemort, the Minister for Magic required all purebloods to marry Muggleborns. It was intended for Snape/Hermione, but has also been used by other ships, such as Draco/Hermione and Lucius/Hermione.

The challenge could be interpreted in different ways, from various characters choosing to marry in order to help each other to rich purebloods using their money to secure the match they desired to the Ministry forcibly pairing various characters up.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the fic where I read the original rules at. And it seems that everyone has her own variation of it, which they do give credit to WIKTT. The original site which seems to have disappeared....
Overhill
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
The Marriage Law - a challenge by chelleybean@ufie.org

There have been more and more fanfics cropping up that note the interbreeding that appears to be rampant in the Pureblood families. Some fans may have even noticed how the Purebloods often seem to be depicted as less intelligent and less attractive than the half-bloods and Muggleborns, even in JK Rowling’s books themselves. Why not put this to good use?

My challenge is this: The Ministry of Magic has finally acknowledged, publicly, that the wizarding world is in danger as the continued intermarrying of the Pureblood line causes more and more stillbirths, squibs and barren children. In an attempt to save the old families The Marriage Law has been put into place. Under this law any Pureblood wizard or male head of a Pureblood family can petition for a betrothal contract giving them legal power over a Muggleborn witch. This step has been deemed necessary as they discovered Muggle families feel that betrothal contracts are too ‘old fashioned’ and would rather let their daughters ‘fall in love’. Our leading man of choice is going to get a contract on Hermione.

Deadline is 04/09/14

Conditions:

1. Your choice of how his contract comes to be:
1. Severus’ father, desperate to save the Snape family, selects her for her brilliance and power.
2. Severus falls in love with Hermione, but she rejects him, forcing him to take a more ‘high handed’ approach.
2. There must be a confrontation between Severus and Hermione’s father.
3. No Rape! Hermione must either skillfully convinced or romantically won over into being a willing participant in the marriage bed.
4. Lucius Malfoy must challenge, either by duel or wizard court, Snape’s claim to Hermione in an attempt to get her for Draco.

Freebies:

1. No limit on length or rating, but remember to warn younger readers if you’re going to be racy.
2. Be funny, serious, however you want to be.
3. Remember, jealous young snots are fun to screw with.
4. If you’re going to post on WIKTT, please put the story in the challenge folder so we can find it.
5. Enjoy yourselves!
6. I love picture, so feel free to throw in illustrations as well.

found at http://snapelike.insanejournal.com/76240.html