Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Plot Bunnies  ~  Young!Hagrid and a Werewolf "Cub"

Cat Feral
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:53 am Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Dec 2005 Posts: 23 Location: Northern California
Someone may have done this already. I've never heard of it, but it does seem like it's just sitting up and begging to be done. Remember Tom Riddle remark about "...big, blundering Hagrid, in trouble every other weeks, trying to raise werewolf cubs under his bed..."?

A very young werewolf (I wanted it to be little Remus, but the timeline was wrong) runs away from home because things have been so miserable since he was bitten. Somehow he makes his way to the Forbidden Forest, where he is found by Second Year Rubeus Hagrid.

On hearing his sad story, Hagrid takes the kid back and hides him in his dorm. Complications -- whether funny or sad -- follow.

Anyone want this?

Last edited by Cat Feral on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

mouseII
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
When I read your idea, I immediately thought, "Hmm; we don't know how old Fenrir Greyback is, do we?"

We know Fenrir's got to be about 15 years older than Remus at least, if Fenrir is the one who bit Remus. Interaction between Hagrid and a very young Fenrir might make a very interesting story! Very Happy Unfortunatly my RL is pretty busy at the moment, so I don't think I'll be the one to write it. Sad

I have to say that after reading the later books, I always found that statement of Tom Riddle's a bit strange. Perhaps Tom was being stereotypical, rather than accurate, when he said that - sort of like Petunia saying that Lily did magic at home as a child, despite the fact that we know she wasn't allowed to. After all, werewolves are only wolfish during the full-moon, and it would be pretty hard for Hagrid to hide a baby under his bed for the rest of the month...

Perhaps there are werewolves who are only human during the full moon, and wolfish the rest of the time...?
Cat Feral
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Dec 2005 Posts: 23 Location: Northern California
I think Tom was either just mouthing off when he said that, or grossly twisting or exagerating the truth. JKR has made it pretty clear that you can't get a werewolf cub, like you would get a puppy and raise it. A werewolf is a person with lycanthropy and -- as you say -- Hagrid couldn't very well raise a baby under his bed.

But if Hagrid had a lycanthropic child in his room and hid him wherever he could -- "Someone's coming! Quick! Into the Cupboard!" "Someone's coming! Quick! Under the bed!" it's the sort of thing that could be twisted later on.

The idea that it might have been Fenrir is really interesting. Imagine how sad poor Hagrid would be to learn that his little friend had grown so bitter over the years! Suddenly it seems more likely to be a sad story than a funny one. Crying or Very sad

peskipiksi
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Cat Feral - do you know if anyone's done this yet? I'd love to have a go. I think you're probably right when you say Tom was mouthing off, but I love the idea of a young Greyback running away from home because life is miserable since he got bitten. I see Tom Riddle shopping Hagrid again but Hagrid being let off as Greyback hadn't attacked anyone, and Dippet would want to keep it quiet.

It might have sparked Greyback's hatred of wizards - his parents disown him, he got bitten and therefore shunned, he wanted to go to Hogwarts like other wizard kids and couldn't, then got thrown out when he made it into the school thanks to Hagrid and had thought Hagrid would take care of him.

Is this anything like you'd thought? Can't decide whether to make Greybacks family wizard or Muggle. Can't see anything on HP lexicon - any ideas?

Thanks for the idea!
peskipiksi
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Actually, decided he should be wizard, living in Hogsmeade.
Overhill
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 263 Location: Central Oregon, near a wyer, but the dragons are downstairs....
That was a great job you did with "Monsters Under the Bed".

I was surprised to check in here, and find these postings - you certainly didn't daddle in creating the story!

peskipiksi
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! I've been looking at this plot bunny for ages so to write a oneshot, from the time I had enough plot sorted to ask questions, was quite easy. I was going to post up here that the story was up on Lumos, but you did it for me. Many thanks for the advert!