Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  JK's "prequel" (that she is definitely not writing

jynx67
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure you've all heard that someone spent $48,800 on a postcard sized paper written on both sides with JK's "prequel". I found it online.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/navigate.do?pPageID=200000681

Now... if you can read her writing (she writes like a doctor!), please let me know whose idea she stole for this. It's quite obvious she took it from someone else. She couldn't have thought this up on her own.

But my thoughts on her aside... what do you think?
celisnebula
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Why do you think she took this from something else?

From what I've read on her personal website (all the easter eggs and all that other stuff throughout the years), this is pretty much in keeping with other bits and pieces she's written and not used.

And I agree, her handwriting is horrible.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tonksinger
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
What is your basis for your accusation of plagiarism? I see no reason to assume she stole the idea from something verboten. It reminds me of Malfoy in book one talking about "narrowly escaping muggles in helicopters" when flying on his broom. J.K. is creative - it's a fun little vignette. And Elvendork (it's unisex!) is the best name ever.
pipedreamer
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking (on a Sunday I know, but it can't be helped) that the accusation of JK lifting this verbatim from elsewhere is a little harsh.

No doubt this view is because the writing is distinctly American - taillights, police shouting "woah!", scraping paint off a car's "flank" - Brits tend to use different words, so the 'feel' of the text, if you will, is different to her usual style.

Plus, it's told from the third person - mostly - which JK obviously doesn't do in her HP books for the most part.

But plagiarism? There's no proof whatsoever that she's nicked this from someone else. Unless you have proof you'd like to offer....

tonksinger
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
Um, quick note - all the HP books are written in third person. "He" "She "They", ect. They're mostly in third person limited - everything is seen from Harry's point of view, except for a few scenes that he isn't in. The ones that he isn't in (The first part of PS, the Riddle Mansion, etc.) are still in third person, though they lean more towards having an omniscient narrator, rather than being from anyone's point of view.

Sorry. English nerd. But I remember the prequel being in third person limited - from the officer's point of view.