Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  A What-If for after the Dementor Attack (Book 5)

zuse
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Have any of you had some what if moments while rereading some of the books after finishing DH?

My favorite one is after the Dementors scene in Book 5:

'And what the ruddy hell are Dementors?’
‘They guard the wizard prison, Azkaban,’ said Aunt Petunia.
Two seconds of ringing silence followed these words before Aunt Petunia clapped her hand over her mouth as though she had let slip a disgusting swear word. Uncle Vernon was goggling at her. Harrys brain reeled. Mrs. Figg was one thing - but Aunt Petunia’?
‘How d’you know that?’ he asked her, astonished.
Aunt Petunia looked quite appalled with herself. She glanced at Uncle Vernon in fearful apology, then lowered her hand slightly to reveal her horsy teeth.
‘I heard - that awful boy - telling her about them - years ago,’ she said jerkily.
‘If you mean my mum and dad, why don’t you use their names?’ said Harry loudly, but Aunt Petunia ignored him. She seemed horribly flustered.
Harry was stunned. Except for one outburst years ago, in the course of which Aunt Petunia had screamed that Harry’s mother had been a freak, he had never heard her mention her sister. He was astounded that she had remembered this scrap of information about the magical world for so long, when she usually put all her energies into pretending it didn’t exist.
Uncle Vernon opened his mouth, closed it again, opened it once more, shut it, then, apparently struggling to remember how to talk, opened it for a third time and croaked, ‘So - so - they - er - they - er - they actually exist, do they - er - Dementy-whatsits?’
Aunt Petunia nodded.

Poor Harry was SOOO close to finding out the truth. But that would probably have just given him more ammo against Snape, I suppose (possible jealous motives...)

~Zuse