Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Personae  ~  Characterizations in HBP

ambi76
Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I love the assumption that Hermione is out of character unless she is being raped by Snape, turning into a rabid pro-lifer, and keeping the sprog,

*SNORT*

I don't know that I felt she was OOC--just that she was really quite obnoxious, and boy, I didn't like her. As someone mentioned, Hermione is so often written as an older person in fanon--so it's not to say she's particularly OOC in fic nor in the books, just that we've been reading about her in two completely different stages of life, and are having trouble reconciling the two.

It's like meeting your calm, [over-]confident, brilliant professor, then watching him be tortured by your father... or... no.. wait... It's not like that at all... Maybe more like daydreaming about your dad being a golden child, and then watching him torture your calm, [over-]confident, brilliant professor at 16. Wink

And *while* Ron was indeed a vile pig throughout the book, I hadn't been reading him in fics doing anything else. Razz Perhaps that's why he seems so "spot-on". ;]
aphrodeia
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 06 Dec 2004 Posts: 46
Two Methyloctane wrote:
I have a 17 year old sister, was 17 myself three years ago, and both my sister and I were so bloody annoying. I think Hermione's behaviour is completely natural, just annoying.

My brothers are eleven and seventeen. Every book I've read, I just nod my head and go "Yep, that's them." Very Happy
Two Methyloctane
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:45 am Reply with quote
Hehe, exactly! No matter how "misunderstood" or different they are, or how important and mature they think they are, its mostly just the same situations and age-related growth that nearly all teenagers go through.

As annoying as I found Hermione, I was glad she was at least being human, not this uber-amazing fanfic!Hermione we've gotten used to.

And as assured the Ron/Hermione thing is, I'm glad we got his characterization a little closer. He was a complete prat. Only an insensitive jerk like him goes and makes out with another chick right in front of the girl he really likes (apparently) and who he probably has an idea likes him back (who knows why, though?).

He was just a jerk, and I don't think he's particularily funny or good for Hermione. He's not a good role model for kids. Yes, he's growing up, but he seems to be pretty insensitive in most of the books...

Verity Brown
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quote
Two Methyloctane wrote:
Hehe, exactly! No matter how "misunderstood" or different they are, or how important and mature they think they are, its mostly just the same situations and age-related growth that nearly all teenagers go through.

I dunno. My friends and I never acted like that as teens. Maybe I just had weird friends. But I had a really hard time identifying with the kids this time around. I've always identified with Hermione--bright, bookish, and a bit lacking in the social skills to make that palatable to others--but not in this book. The cheating, the ugly attempts to induce jealousy, the pettiness at having her "smartest student" title usurped in Potions class, and her basic hypocritical attitude toward Harry just really turned me off this character in this book. I used to think that she was too good for Ron. Now I feel like they deserve each other.

Verity

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
I thought there were rather a lot of coincidences between this book and fanfics. I can think of at least 4 instances where it looked as if there were either major coincidences, or else the book-writer was saluting the fanfic writers.
I noticed especially the daydream ship in the twins' shop--it was a romantic scene between a couple on a SHIP; and not just anyship, a PIRATE ship. So, a romantic scene viewed by canon characters who have been pirated by fanfic writers? (This is not my view of fanfics, but might be someone's.)
celisnebula
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Seamoor wrote:
I thought there were rather a lot of coincidences between this book and fanfics. I can think of at least 4 instances where it looked as if there were either major coincidences, or else the book-writer was saluting the fanfic writers.
I noticed especially the daydream ship in the twins' shop--it was a romantic scene between a couple on a SHIP; and not just anyship, a PIRATE ship. So, a romantic scene viewed by canon characters who have been pirated by fanfic writers? (This is not my view of fanfics, but might be someone's.)

Quite doubtful. JK has said, countless times, that she has had the plan for all seven books outline since before even book one came out. Add to the fact that possibly many parts of this book were probably rehashed from when she wrote CoS, which she ended up rewriting it because she had put in far too much, and I think you have a formula for Fan fiction writers to follow. I think, if there are any similarities between fan fiction and what JK has written, it is probably due to the clues she has left throughout each of her books and the ability of that fan to pick up those clues and spin their "own" story.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Two Methyloctane
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
And given that a lot of fanfic authors try to imitate JK and create canonly-realistic situations, it's not surprising that some fanfiction seems very similar to the book.

Seamoor
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, in the case of HBP I still think it is a case of JKR being influenced by fanfics. True, she has SAID she's already hashed out the plots of the books, but plots aren't details, and a writer can have even a quite detailed outline of a story/book and still not have all the details.
And for that matter, who knows whether she actually has had all the books plotted before being written and published? I mean, all the secrecy, who's actually seen how much she's written?
Admittedly I resent her games of cat-and-mouse with her readers; I resented the implication that the character who looked "rather like an old lion" was a clue to the identity of the Half-Blood Prince; less a lion than a red herring, I think.
I don't mind her being influenced by fanfics if it's a tribute to fanfic writers; but as a reader who helps pay her bills I would like to be respected and not toyed with.
tonksinger
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
I don't understand how you connect Hermione acting like a normal, jealous, confused, hormonal teenager with JKR being influenced by fanfiction, since it has been stated very clearly in this topic that fanon Hermione is usually anything but.

As for Hermione's maturity, she is almost a year older than the boys, and girls tend to mature faster. Besides, even Harry looks mature when compared to Ron. Yes, Ron was insensitive in HBP- but please remember that he is a sixteen year old boy who is not known for his social skills. We all know which head he was thinking with. A pretty girl made it clear that she liked him, so he made out with her, and a girl who had never tried anything romantic with him, aside from berating him for not taking her to the Yule Ball, got really mad.

And I don't see Hermione being hypocritical or OOC about Harry cheating in Potions - she has always been all for academic integrity. Yes, she did rig the Quidditch tryouts, because the boy she liked was trying out. She's not morally infallible. And I didn't see Harry complaining.